: '79 Coupe Deville for sale locally

caddycruiser
02-18-07, 11:24 AM
My brother first spotted this car, and has told me about it for 2 weeks, but I never got a chance to see it yet--until he went and took pictures today.

No idea where it came from, but it's sitting out front of the local Chevy dealer for sale.

It's a '79, and has 110,000 miles--they're asking $3,995. Looks very well kept, and if it's local that would make sense, but I'm not a huge fan of the body style. Still, a cool car, and price doesn't sound too bad for the condition.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/caddycruiser/79%20Coupe%20Deville/IMG_0601.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/caddycruiser/79%20Coupe%20Deville/IMG_0602.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/caddycruiser/79%20Coupe%20Deville/IMG_0603.jpg
http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c101/caddycruiser/79%20Coupe%20Deville/IMG_0606.jpg

bicentennialcadillac
02-18-07, 02:12 PM
I like it.

Benzilla
02-18-07, 02:37 PM
Looks great, what color is the interior? That's actually my favorite body style in history, so I'd but it, but if you don't like it, why get it?

caddycruiser
02-18-07, 03:04 PM
I'm not really sure what the interior is--I'd say gray, based on the roof, but blue is also a possibility.

And it's a cool car, no doubt, as I said, I'm just not a huge fan of the sloping trunk and that odd nose-still a great looking tank, nonetheless. I can definitely appreciate the quality and care this one has obviously had, though! And the 425 (I presume) underhood could be a nice beast.

On another note, my brother clearly has taken to it, as I've heard about it every time I talk to him and he wanted me to go look at it both times I was down--seems to be eyeing it a lot, even though he'd likely never actually buy something like it, having the Regal and all already.

96Fleetwood
02-18-07, 06:51 PM
425 can't be a beast... 180hp :tisk:

Look at a 500 powered vehicle, pre 1977.

It looks good though, but that is alot of money for a vehicle that is not very desirable in the classic car market. If it was a big body '74-78 Eldorado, I would say go for it.

caddycruiser
02-18-07, 07:32 PM
Yeah, that's what I just realized. The 425 is a bit of a beast in size, but the power ratings sure weren't.

Also a but of an update on it. My brother told me it has a grey interior to match the roof, and was trimmed out in new looking velour upholstery. Also, oddly enough, had a phone of some sort on the center hump in front--and not one that looked very modern. I tried to figure out what type, based on how he described it, but he just said "it was like an older house phone". Interesting.

That, and again, every little bit and piece inside and out looked hardly touched, and it just looked like a time capsule car. Probably won't sell too quickly at the new Chevy dealer it's at, but you never know--I just wonder how it got there in the first place.

Benzilla
02-18-07, 09:28 PM
Actually the 425 can be a nice powerhouse. It's the same block as the 500, it's just brought down by a shitty cam and headers. 500cid.com used to sell their "ultimate 425" which was just a 425 tuned up to it's full potential. It was pushing around 400 hp IIRC. Anybody remember Rick (nightwolf)'s '79 SDV? he just had a '68 472 cam and a few other mods, and his 425 was already in the 15 second range. With only bolt on parts.

Also remember, with these engines, it's all about torque.

caddycruiser
02-18-07, 09:30 PM

True, much like the '93 FWB L05 with a similar 185 hp rating, but that I swear will rip stumps out of the ground...all with a svelte and smooth turbine feel.

Still, the 425 would likely be a hog just on output size alone, but I could be wrong.

Then again, I honestly don't care, as it isn't a car I'd ever buy...just a very intriguing local find:thumbsup:

bicentennialcadillac
02-18-07, 09:50 PM
Actually the 425 can be a nice powerhouse. It's the same block as the 500, it's just brought down by a shitty cam and headers. 500cid.com used to sell their "ultimate 425" which was just a 425 tuned up to it's full potential. It was pushing around 400 hp IIRC. Anybody remember Rick (nightwolf)'s '79 SDV? he just had a '68 472 cam and a few other mods, and his 425 was already in the 15 second range. With only bolt on parts.

Here you go.

http://www.cad500parts.com/newpage1.htm

Benzilla
02-18-07, 10:14 PM
Hey, thanks! I saw that a long time ago and couldn't find it again. I might actually get that for mine instead of putting in a 500 in the future. I'd love to keep my original 425, there's something about that car... I want to keep all of it's original parts.

caddycruiser
02-18-07, 10:52 PM
Hey, thanks! I saw that a long time ago and couldn't find it again. I might actually get that for mine instead of putting in a 500 in the future. I'd love to keep my original 425, there's something about that car... I want to keep all of it's original parts.

Ahh, yes, you actually have a '79 coupe--don't know how I overlooked that!

Highway Star
02-19-07, 11:22 AM
That's a pretty popsicle! Looks like it's in very good condition just by judging the body. I'd bet the dealer would take $2500-$2900 easy. And sheesh fellas, these ain't muscle cars, so slow down a little, 'k! :cop:

Highway Star
02-19-07, 11:45 AM
Also, oddly enough, had a phone of some sort on the center hump in front--and not one that looked very modern. I tried to figure out what type, based on how he described it, but he just said "it was like an older house phone". Interesting.

Do you think it could be the optional CB radio, they had a curly cord attached to the handset?

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-19-07, 02:37 PM
A stock 425 Cadillac will outrun a stock 500 Cadillac.

Benzilla
02-19-07, 08:21 PM
For real? What are the numbers?

caddycruiser
02-19-07, 09:24 PM
Do you think it could be the optional CB radio, they had a curly cord attached to the handset?

Really don't know. All he said was "like a house phone, down on the floor", so that's what I assumed, however weird it might be.

Maybe...

Benzilla
02-19-07, 09:28 PM
The tiny original CB microphone could never be mistaken for a house phone. It must be something aftermarket (maybe an aftermarket CB unit?), plus the original CB wasn't mounted on the floor, it was in the dash.

caddycruiser
02-19-07, 09:53 PM
The tiny original CB microphone could never be mistaken for a house phone. It must be something aftermarket (maybe an aftermarket CB unit?), plus the original CB wasn't mounted on the floor, it was in the dash.

True, and he was pretty clear in saying it was a phone, so I'd agree.

Highway Star
02-20-07, 11:10 PM
I had an employer in 1975 that had a telephone mounted in his truck. Looked kinda like a house phone, but was able to transmit/receive wireless. It was wired so his truck horn would blow when he got a call. Very primitive by today's standards, but was high-tech back in the '70s.

If I still lived in DE, I'd go take a peep at that Caddy.

Cadboy425
02-21-07, 04:58 AM
Wow looks really nice and garage kept. Gotta wonder if it was a trade and if so what they traded it for. I'm sure the dealer really low balled them and gave them nothing. I bought my 77 Coupe in '97 for $1500 from a used car lot (76k on the odo. only has 81k now) and when I tracked the original owner down she said she sold it to them for $200.00!!