: Considering a V for DD, some concerns.

jcar302
02-18-07, 09:36 AM
First off, at the moment i have 2 cars that are dispensible. 1 being my life long mustang that i've had since highschool (93). Another being a special production suv (awd).
But to do a ctsv they would both have to go, along with a $7500 engine i have.
I live in NJ. Meaing there is snow. Which scares the crap out of me in a rwd car.

How is the ctsv in the rain? Remember one of my cars is awd the other is rwd muscle, no traction control nothing, so the idea of only having a rwd car only is a bit nerve racking. I wouldn't drive the V in the snow if it wasn't necessary, but if i did get caught in a snow storm, would i get stuck on every corner?

Second, what's it take to get low 12's in one of these things, and will it handle 15-20k miles a year in that form. My mustang currently is high 11's, and the new engine would send it to high 10's in street form, i can live with some more comfort and a loss in ET, just not complete loss.

BTW, i'd be buying a used one. So should i wait for the 500+hp model of the V so the rest of the prices drop on the used ones?

All this comes about after driving my mothers 07 DTS performance model for a week. I may be ready to grow up (a little).

Any imput is appreciated.
Thanks,
Joe

oh, and i also have a work van i use during the day, but it's no dream in bad weather either.
I'd love to keep two cars, but keeping an old mustang, and special ford suv are one thing, keeping 2 high end cars is out of my budget.
NO beater for the future for me, i'm just not down with that.

CVP33
02-18-07, 09:48 AM
How is the ctsv in the rain? Remember one of my cars is awd the other is rwd muscle, no traction control nothing, so the idea of only having a rwd car only is a bit nerve racking. I wouldn't drive the V in the snow if it wasn't necessary, but if i did get caught in a snow storm, would i get stuck on every corner?

Second, what's it take to get low 12's in one of these things, and will it handle 15-20k miles a year in that form. My mustang currently is high 11's, and the new engine would send it to high 10's in street form, i can live with some more comfort and a loss in ET, just not complete loss.

BTW, i'd be buying a used one. So should i wait for the 500+hp model of the V so the rest of the prices drop on the used ones?

RAIN - Get a set of Goodyear GSD3's. This is the best handling wet tire on the road and has been confirmed by numerous V owners.

RWD - Don't let RWD scare you. If the roads/weather are not ideal, just leave the Traction/Stability control on full. The V will be very well behaved.

SNOW - Someone else will have to help you hear, but I imagine a good set of snow tires and your good.

DRAG RACING - The V is more of a road racer, but if you insist on dragging this vehicle there are many common upgrades to get you in the 12's. Low 12's will always be an expensive battle as launching is not the V's strong point. Nitrous, superchargers, turbos, heads, cams, cai's, exhaust, tuned PCM's - speed = $'s.

USED - You can find 2006's for $36K. I'd try to find a 2006 for the revised diff. and half shafts. You may also be able to find a 2005 with a new/upgraded rear diff. You should try to find a certified example on a Cadillac used car lot. You can get a 5yr/100K mile warranty.

Hope this helps.

commander112
02-18-07, 09:55 AM
My V is my daily driver right now (buying another 4x4 tomorrow) and it can be done. I have a spare set of rims with snow tires mounted to them. I spend a half hour swapping out the rims for the season and with the stabilitrak and traction control the car does work as a winter car. Not ideal but it works. The issue is not stopping or turning it is getting going. All that power and torque means the tires want to break free but with careful application of throttle and 2nd gear starts it is managable. My biggest concern is other drivers hitting me on the slick roads which happened last week and damaged my back bumper and related hardware.
As for making it run low 12's, I'll let some of the power addicts speak to that issue but I know that many guys run many miles a year on modded cars. Good luck to you.

Mark

stkshkr
02-18-07, 11:15 AM
Maggie, headers, highflow cats and a tune will get you in the mid 12's, and still be great as a DD.

jcar302
02-18-07, 11:55 AM
My thoughts were as you guys suggested with the tires. Snow tires for the winter, drag radials for the summer.
I really just have to figure out whether or not i'm willing to part with two custom rides, that in all likelyhood i could never have again.
I'd also be worried about devaluing a v with excessive mileage, my mustangs True mileage is unknown, so i can drive the hell out of that.

04CTSVFLA
02-18-07, 01:01 PM
I disagree that it takes a maggie to get into the mid 12's. Go with headers, exhaust, k&n, some beefy 265 drag radials, kars kit, short shifter, a great tune, uuc flywheel and a nice clutch....and with a well practiced 60 foot, and 1-2 shifts.....mid twelves is extremely attainable with the above mods

jcar302
02-18-07, 02:03 PM
I'd really prefer not to have to need a power adder on such a large displacement engine.
I was thinking a kooks exhaust, dyno tune. Don't know what a kars kit is though.

Another concern is that a ctsv is not a "forever" car. If i chose to, i could keep both my current cars, and they would stay likely at their value forever, and people would admire them.
I'm worried that a v in a few years would be more like an old m3, where i look at them and think blah.
No insult to anyone here, because at the moment i love the car, just not sure it's just a phase. Can't find a local one to test drive, that's another issue.
Edit: found one about 30 mins away, but it's black (which i love) but i've about had about enough of maintaing a black truck, it might as well be permanently dirty. Silver would nice, so would white, is there a white available period?

CVP33
02-18-07, 02:11 PM
If you really like the looks, than the test drive will most likely put you over the edge. If the Mustang is your only comparison for performance (speed and handling) the CTS-V will blow you away. I know mid-12's sounds cool, but frankly with a stock V I can't imagine wanting that much more in my DD. As for the "forever" part of the equation. You've already eliminated the biggest hurdle by buying used. The depreciation on American muscle sedans is staggering. Roughly 35-38% of your depreciation takes place in year one for these cars. So if you buy a 2006 with low miles and drive the snot out of it for 2 years you still have a reasonable amount of value left in your car.

EDIT: No white available. Black is positively stunning on this car. Silver is nice, but nothing looks better than black. I had a silver and a black.

jcar302
02-18-07, 04:55 PM
Well, as far as performance goes, i'll be taking a step backwards. Remember, my mustang has 15 years of love and money in it, alot of money.
It's going to be noticeably faster than any stock cts v. And with the new engine i'm sitting on, it should be high 10's.
But they are two completely different types of cars, one is light and racey, and more muscle.
The V on the other hand seems to be a combination of real world use and power.

I'm still concerned that the V is trendy, one of those, use it up for 3 years and get something else.
Kinda like dumping your wife for a one night stand.
I'm torn, i think this week, i'll check the only local one i found out.

dqw1
02-18-07, 06:27 PM
Somethings wrong with this thread. Don't like black, might be a phase, step down in performance, might be trendy for now, worried about mileage devaluing...
test drive one and come back. If I had your doubts, I wouldn't buy any car.

stkshkr
02-18-07, 06:58 PM
I disagree that it takes a maggie to get into the mid 12's. Go with headers, exhaust, k&n, some beefy 265 drag radials, kars kit, short shifter, a great tune, uuc flywheel and a nice clutch....and with a well practiced 60 foot, and 1-2 shifts.....mid twelves is extremely attainable with the above mods

I didn't say that was the only way, but it's one that is quite easy and doesn't change the DD attributes.

PS: who's in the mid twelves with those mods?

CVP33
02-18-07, 07:16 PM
I didn't say that was the only way, but it's one that is quite easy and doesn't change the DD attributes.

PS: who's in the mid twelves with those mods?

I had BB cat-less headers, BB catback exhaust, CAI and Stealth tuned PCM. The best I could muster was 13.5 @ 107mph. Honestly though, I never really got it to launch properly so my 60 fts. were +2.0's. Also, I would advise using drag radials.

jcar302
02-18-07, 08:22 PM
Somethings wrong with this thread. Don't like black, might be a phase, step down in performance, might be trendy for now, worried about mileage devaluing...

I'm always a doubter. My biggest concern here is not the loss of performance, but the fact that my other cars will be gone for good. I may be better off waiting a year, and just keeping the other two and adding this one.

Oh, and i LOVE black, just not for a Daily Driver, black vehicle in NJ spends the winter in a white salty color. Kinda tired of it.

Zo6 and cts v are the only 2 gm rides i'd drive. IMO they are in a class of their own. This coming from a ford guy.

Here's what i'd be giving up. May not be much to you guys, but i've enjoyed them.

http://www.cardomain.com/memberpage/307357

jcar302
02-18-07, 08:25 PM

Let me clarify.
I LOVE black, it's just that in NJ a black vehicle spends the winter months looking salty white. Such a PITA to keep clean.
I doubt every big change, it's just what i do.

Only gms i would ever drive are the ctsv and zo6, they are in a class of their own.

here's what i would be giving up, may not be much to you guys, but i enjoy them.
http://www.cardomain.com/ride/420062
And i'd be selling the engine that i have that is worked out of a supercharged 03 cobra, hard to get and expensive as hell.

steveLT1
03-02-07, 08:32 PM
Amen to that...if you want a collector or something that's worth some money after many years, then buy one, let it sit in your garage for 20 years and don't drive it. As long as you like it, that's all that matters. Look at all those guys who drove those old El Camino's. Ugly as hell but obviously they liked 'em and built them up to beat on a lot of other cars.

The bottom line, a Caddie is a Caddie...it will look good, drive good, and feel good it's entire life; and after 10 years will still be worth more or the same than anything else you bought for the same price.

Florian
03-02-07, 08:36 PM
70K+ miles on my V....snow, rain, whatever, no issues....

F

dqw1
03-02-07, 09:03 PM
Well, as far as performance goes, i'll be taking a step backwards. Remember, my mustang has 15 years of love and money in it, alot of money.
It's going to be noticeably faster than any stock cts v. And with the new engine i'm sitting on, it should be high 10's.
But they are two completely different types of cars, one is light and racey, and more muscle.
The V on the other hand seems to be a combination of real world use and power.

I'm still concerned that the V is trendy, one of those, use it up for 3 years and get something else.
Kinda like dumping your wife for a one night stand.
I'm torn, i think this week, i'll check the only local one i found out.
So...what happened. Did you test drive it what?

gergreg
03-02-07, 11:52 PM
If you upgrade cars every couple of years, go for the V. American cars aren't built to last a long time, they seem to be disposable. Get a nice German car if you want a long laster. My Australian made GTO feels much more expensive inside than my V. There is nothing you can touch and say "that feels good". The hollow buttons everywhere, the crap plastics etc are a turn down. But this thing drives fantastically, feels way faster than the GTO, the handling is so sharp, and the brakes are superb. I plan on replacing this with a M5 when I graduate from college. Or, perhaps because GM is using mostly Holden parts for the new CTS (GTOs are Holdens), I'll get the next V. A used V puts the "V" in value. I bought my '05 for about $34,000. I honestly think that V's should be priced at about $45k new. The only reason they are so damn expensive is because of the union workers who are costing GM millions. Their jobs have been replaced by machines, yet they cannot be fired. That is a big reason GM is using Holden parts etc. Good move GM.

Oh... and if you do get a V, get a grey one or an infared. I have a redline (05 version) and I have received so many complements on the color alone. When that red is washed, it just looks stunning. Black is more wicked looking, but looks flat and crappy unless it is spotless and waxed.

Caddy Man
03-03-07, 12:35 AM
If you upgrade cars every couple of years, go for the V. American cars aren't built to last a long time, they seem to be disposable. Get a nice German car if you want a long laster. My Australian made GTO feels much more expensive inside than my V. There is nothing you can touch and say "that feels good". The hollow buttons everywhere, the crap plastics etc are a turn down. But this thing drives fantastically, feels way faster than the GTO, the handling is so sharp, and the brakes are superb. I plan on replacing this with a M5 when I graduate from college. Or, perhaps because GM is using mostly Holden parts for the new CTS (GTOs are Holdens), I'll get the next V. A used V puts the "V" in value. I bought my '05 for about $34,000. I honestly think that V's should be priced at about $45k new. The only reason they are so damn expensive is because of the union workers who are costing GM millions. Their jobs have been replaced by machines, yet they cannot be fired. That is a big reason GM is using Holden parts etc. Good move GM.

Oh... and if you do get a V, get a grey one or an infared. I have a redline (05 version) and I have received so many complements on the color alone. When that red is washed, it just looks stunning. Black is more wicked looking, but looks flat and crappy unless it is spotless and waxed.
German car for long laster?? Hey I like german cars, but just the maintenance you have to put in is a lot of $$$. European cars are not meant to last long and you need to be able to afford upkeep if you have one.

gergreg
03-03-07, 09:28 AM
I didn't mean that it was cheap to maintain European cars. What I meant was that you could get in a late 1980s Mercedes Benz that was well maintained and it will feel tight. Typically, middle upper class folks hold onto their Mercedes Benz(s), Audis and BMWs far longer than they would if they were to have a Cadillac. I almost never see a Cadillac older than a 2004 on the road and if I do, it is typically being driven by someone who could never afford one that wasn't that old.

As I was saying, I know European cars are more expensive to maintain, obviously because they are imports. CTS-Vs are I believe the equivalent of around $70 000 in England, if I'm not mistaken and the upkeep is expensive also. I work at a parking lot in downtown Pittsburgh and drive a hell of a lot of cars and hands down the Germans feel the best. I've driven everything from a 1980s Chevrolet Celebrity to a Bentley Flying Spur, Aston Martin DB9 etc. A new S class feels much tighter than a Bentley judging by the noise you hear from the dash when driving the Bentley.

While American cars are slowly becoming higher quality, they are still a generation or two behind the Germans - last generation 5 series BMWs feel far better than my V, but retain their value so well that a 2003 540i costs practically as much as I got my V for. If there wasn't a 5 year warranty, I never would have gotten it. Sorry to offend anyone, but I believe it to be true.

v-ape
03-03-07, 10:36 AM
I bought my V with the intent of having a DD that I could track. It has performed well in each roll.

Driving in the snow sucks (compared to most cars). Its RWD and front heavy. That said, the TC does an excellent job of keeping your wheels from spinning and the SC works pretty well too, although I usually turn it off for fun in the snow.

I have KDW's for the rain, not that the Goodyears are bad, its just what I've been driving on for the past 3 years and 3 cars. I like them and think the V is just fine in the rain.

The only downfall for a DD that this car has is MPG. I get ~10-12mpg in the city. Its great on the highway, I get 23-25 on the highway, but going to work and back is tough on the gas.