: Tinting and Navi

folex187
02-17-07, 11:09 PM
I went to get a quote for tint today and the guys told me I had to get carbon tint because of the navigation and antenna in the glass. The main guy told me that standard tint has metal in it which blocks sat, nav, and certain AM stations. Is this true? My jaw dropped when he told me it would be $400 to do the back/sides. :bonkers:

BLACK_CTSV
02-18-07, 12:00 AM
Damn, I better take my tint off - it's blocking my nav!! Oh, wait - no it's not :)

Not sure if I have metal in mine, but everything appears to work fine.

ctsvett
02-18-07, 12:03 AM
nav anteanna is not in the glass.. its on the rear deck.. tint should not cause an issue.. and there are tints without metal but I have herad folks around here not even have issues WITH metallic tint (your results may vary)...

Reed

HushH
02-18-07, 12:36 AM
Don't even know what kind I have but it only cost me $250 for all 4 windows plus the back, and I have no Nav, AM, FM or XM interference.

50 4Ever
02-18-07, 01:28 AM
I have metallic in mine. 25% fronts, 20% rears, and 15% on the back. No interference. Cost me $335. Cost really depends on where you live and who you have do it. I asked the guy about the possible effect on the NAV and he said if it did interfere he would redo the back window with no metallic, free of charge.

http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a186/504ever/05%20CTS-V/DCP_3465.jpg

:thumbsup:

folex187
02-18-07, 01:54 AM
Good to hear! Thanx for the replies everyone.

SoSueMe
02-18-07, 11:59 AM
I went to get a quote for tint today and the guys told me I had to get carbon tint because of the navigation and antenna in the glass. The main guy told me that standard tint has metal in it which blocks sat, nav, and certain AM stations. Is this true? My jaw dropped when he told me it would be $400 to do the back/sides. :bonkers:

(cough cough) bullshit! (Cough cough..) I paid 110.00 for tints all around, Nav and AM stations work just fine... you might want to keep looking around before this guy trys to sell you a bridge or something... :thumbsup:

tedcmiller
02-19-07, 09:15 AM
The GPS antenna on some models is, as others have indicated, in the rear deck. On other models it is under the front dashboard. Most of the signal for these antennas come through the window. Anything that blocks the signal could have a negative effect on the operation of the Navigation (GPS) system. The antenna for the the AM/FM radio is in the front windshield. As with the GPS antenna, blocking this signal can have negative effects. Apparently different types of tint have different signal blocking effects. Also, keep in mind that LASER speed detection detectors (usually in a RADAR detector) need to see the LASER light from the speed detector to function properly. Any LASER detector whose detection mechanism is mounted inside the vehicle will be imparied by tinting.

folex187
02-19-07, 12:20 PM
That would only pertain to the front window right?

1QUICKV
02-19-07, 03:43 PM
125 dollars and 5% side windows and rear. 200-400 wtf. my tint is mint. And no problem here

folex187
02-19-07, 08:30 PM
I got quoted 2-250 everywhere else. I think they add a luxury tax because it's a cadillac..

pabstcadillac
02-19-07, 08:35 PM
ALL CTS's & STS's SHOULD BE LIMO TINTED ALL THE WAY AROUND! Seriously, it looks sooooo friggin' sweet. :alchi:

1QUICKV
02-19-07, 11:12 PM
ALL CTS's & STS's SHOULD BE LIMO TINTED ALL THE WAY AROUND! Seriously, it looks sooooo friggin' sweet. :alchi:

i SECOND THAT 5% GOT IT! V'ED UP

tedcmiller
02-21-07, 10:22 AM
That would only pertain to the front window right?
folex187,
The answer to your question depends on the type of detector you have. If your detector works only from the front, the answer is yes. However, some detectors utilize a lens that will collect LASER light from both the front and back. With these types of detectors, tinting of the rear window will have a negative effect. Also note that signal reduction for LASER light is going happen with any type of tinting, metallic or otherwise. Signifiant reduction of the microwave signal for RADAR occurs primarily with metallic tinting.