: Monroe Max Air Shocks

v90hamm77
02-17-07, 12:11 PM
I have a 96 Fleetwood Brougham and my factory air ride shocks are dead. I was thinking about putting the monroe air shocks on there. Do I have to forget the factory compressor and fittings and air the MONROES up at a gas station, or can I hook up the factory air lines to the MONROES? Any advice will help! Is anything better than the Monroe Air Shocks as a replacement?

Hammondsix
02-17-07, 08:14 PM
My advice is:

If your ALS goes its 650$
If your ALC goes its 600$

Get rid of the air suspension and buy some caprice wagon springs and sensatracs. It makes the car ride nice and its bulletproof.

caddycruiser
02-17-07, 08:28 PM
^^Agreed. That's one viable, and common, choice. Just stronger stock height springs (some wagons, and Caprice sport and police models), and regular gas shocks.

BUT, if you do want to retain air shocks, you can directly hook the new air shocks right up to the existing air lines and compressor, and it will operate as it should once again. The only difference might be the fittings on the shocks vs. the air lines, but even that isn't too hard to figure out something with.

v90hamm77
02-19-07, 07:16 PM
Since the monroes have a threaded nipple how can I hook them up to the factory lines?

caddycruiser
02-19-07, 07:18 PM
Since the monroes have a threaded nipple how can I hook them up to the factory lines?

Good question. I'm not 100% versed on the issue, but you can search around or ask here:

http://impalassforum.com/noncgi/ultimatebb.php?ubb=forum;f=16

Otherwise, somewhere here in the know should chime in soon.

v90hamm77
02-19-07, 08:40 PM
Thanks for the help!!

N0DIH
02-20-07, 08:08 AM
I am looking at that now, found a set of 9C1 springs for $60 shipped. Can't beat that. Compressor is dead at the moment and I can't GET to the dumb thing in this weather.

Hammondsix
02-20-07, 05:38 PM
are you shure its the compressor?

N0DIH
02-20-07, 06:20 PM
All I know is it won't turn on, and the level switch in back is ok. I have checked the ground and it is ok up front. It acts like there is no power to the compressor, fuses ok, so it has to be the connector to it or the compressor itself.

It has been so cold and snowy that I haven't been able to jack to it.

blackcadmatt
02-20-07, 06:38 PM
As far as the shock air lines, you'll have to cut and splice. Use a 1/8" compression fitting (Edelmann part No. 162200) per side. The new lines with the new shocks are the same size as what's on the car. I have done this and it works. I hated to cut the OE line too...

I retro'd my '83 CDV to Gabriel coil-over shocks when it's level-ride went south. Same ride and ride-hieght. That pair of shocks was about $80.

Food for thought.

v90hamm77
02-22-07, 10:53 PM
Thanks guys! I installed the monroe airs and ditched the factory setup alltogether. I ran the lines through the frame to the fill nozzle, which i mounted behind the tag. Inflated to 50 psi and it rides and looks great!!!

N0DIH
02-23-07, 12:23 PM
I just found an old T splitter for the air system I swiped off a FWD Electra years ago, I had already put a valve stem on it from a rim, and I can connect up to it with one side plugged, one side to the factory air line and just stop by a gas station to pump up with air or my compressor. So I should have air in my shocks today! And not compromise the factory lines so I can get the compressor back up when I can get it out.