: dirty windshields

Cadboy425
02-16-07, 10:32 PM
Anyone else having problems with the windshield washer nozzles freezing over? Mine don't seem to work below 32 degrees F. I have fluid in the reservoir but still not working. So back to the dealer monday. Also up to visit #5 to the dealer for the creaking sunroof.

Northern SRX
02-17-07, 06:10 AM
I have honestly never heard of such a problem in any vehicle in my almost 30 years of driving. As for the SRX, we've had temperatures dipping down to -30F up here in recent weeks and no hint of a problem.

Of course, I use washer fluid rated to -40. I presume that you have already ensured that you are using fluid appropriately rated for your climate. If, on the other hand, you were using a summer-rated fluid and haven't replaced that yet with a winter-rated fluid, I could understand freezing in the lines. Another possible explanation is a mislabelled or contaminated fluid (I've heard of this happening before) that permits freezing.

If either is your problem, I'd pump it out and put a correct fluid in - as opposed to simply topping up the reservoir with a winter product. And I wouldn't have the dealer do this - because it'd be logged as owner's negligence and any damage to the internals of the pump or lines would most likely be seen as your fault.

If that isn't your problem, forgive me for wading into obvious territory.

TSS
02-17-07, 08:39 AM
sub zero temperature in michigan - no problems . Also suspect not a high enough quality fluid is the culprit .

Cadboy425
02-18-07, 02:05 PM
I used one that said good to -20 or so or so it said on the bottle. Suprisingly this is the first time I refilled it. My SRX will be with me 2yrs (march 13th) 17k on the odo. So whatever fluid they put in it before hand was freezing over so not sure what they put in.

Northern SRX
02-18-07, 03:59 PM
I used one that said good to -20 or so or so it said on the bottle. Suprisingly this is the first time I refilled it. My SRX will be with me 2yrs (march 13th) 17k on the odo. So whatever fluid they put in it before hand was freezing over so not sure what they put in.

I'm guessing either summer fluid or water. -20 should do it in your climate but perhaps not when diluted with whatever was already in the lines. Try to find a fluid that's rated to even colder, pump out the reservoir, refill it and hold your hand on both front and rear washer settings until you're convinced that the good stuff is in the lines. If the problem persists, then it was something else...

TSS
02-18-07, 06:59 PM
GET THE NEGATIVE 40 stuff. The -20 stuff freezes on my windshield at zero or below. So I suppose it could freeze in your lines too.

Northern SRX
02-19-07, 08:10 AM
Is -40 fluid even widely available in more moderate climes? In any case, I'd agree with the advice that you should the coldest-rated fluid you can find - although -45 fluid might be overkill.

Here's a test: siphon out some of your fluid and put it in a plastic container and put it in a freezer overnight. As most freezers (I'm not talking a chest freezer here) tend to be around 0 degrees F, if the windshield fluid freezes, I wouldn't use it in the winter (the fluid, not the freezer...).

Cadboy425
02-21-07, 04:26 AM
I took it to the dealer and from what they told me I had a damaged fender shield on the right side and that they found damage to the hoses around that fender shield at a cost of $400. I assume I damaged it from trying to remove my car from a parallel parking spaced that was plowed in. They asked me if i hit a deer sure...in NYC! The day I brought the car in it had windshield washer fluid icicles hanging from the bottom of the car. NO damage to the outside of the car. They are supposedly replacing the windwhield washer fluid lines.

In the past also had a problem w/ my turn signals working intermittently and they replaced a flasher control module and the problem resurfaced and they said they will do the same under warranty. They are also replacing a part in my forever creaking ultra view roof.

They also found the rear brakes to be low they quoted me another $400 to fix that. The SRX only has 17k miles on it.
They then recommended the 15k mile service for $500 and a $240 4 wheel alignment both of which I turned down. They gave me a new Hummer H3 as a loaner car. Fairly basic and hard to parallel park w/ out the parking sensors (also it sits high so if a car is behind me i dont' see it).