: Looking to buy a V, have a differential question

JimmyH
02-16-07, 03:57 PM
I have read over a dozen threads where you guys are talking differential problems. I am looking at buying an 05 or 06 V in the coming months, and naturally I am concerned about this.

My question is, do you guys think the differential failures are inherent even to normal driving? Or is it instead, shall we say, due to a little over-zealousness with the throttle?

Reading between the lines, it is clear to me the V is not, nor was ever intended to be a drag-racer. My take is that it is a very powerful sport sedan. Which is what I want. Full-throttle take-offs instill no exhilaration in me at all. I like carving expressway entrance/exit ramps when traffic allows, and like to give it a go at highway speeds, passing when conditions allow. This is where the 400 hp of the V interests me, not standing starts.

So, assuming I find one that hasn't been abused, are my above driving habits going to result in a long lasting differential? Or is it a crap-shoot anyway you look at it?

I am hoping to get some honest opinions from you guys, especially from some of you who are more like me, not very interested in standing on the throttle away from stoplights.

Thanks in advance. I am looking forward to being one of you in the near future.

HushH
02-16-07, 04:06 PM
Based on my limited experience, I'd say you'd probably be okay if you're not doing hard launches, but I'd recommend an 06 with the (slightly) beefed up half-shafts.

Kadonny
02-16-07, 04:06 PM
Honestly? The rear diff has been upgraded in the 06 model year and since that time they seem not to be failing as much. If you get an 04 or 05 you can always have the diff replaced under warranty (you will get the 06 diff).

That being said, I had an 06V and never did a full throttle take off, ever. I never powershifted or did anything that I would consider abusive. Did I drive it hard? Sure, but in no way abusive. My diff still leaked from probably 5k miles on. 3 trips to the dealer to try to resolve, but the drip always came back.

I don't think the thing will fail on you, but be prepared for drippage and lots of noise back there. That's just the way it is, no matter how hard you drive the car. Honestly.

rand49er
02-16-07, 04:09 PM
If you're not going to side-step the clutch, you may never have problem with your dif. There are guys here that are supercharged (that's around 525 hp at the crank) and have their original dif with many, many miles on it.

I had a new dif put in when I told the dealer it had a slight (very slight) whine. They took it for a ride and did it. My whine may have been the result of a couple of fast starts and several (maybe five) hard second gear shifts.

Regarding '05 vs '06, there's a pretty significant difference in the engine you may want to consider. The '05 will have the LS6 (5.7L) where there's a ton of mods available. The '06 will have the LS2 (6.0L) where there seems to be far fewer mods out there. The LS2 will give you a bit more low and mid-range torque, but both are "suppose" to put out 400 hp ... from what I've seen, the LS2 seems to have 10-15 more RWHP out of the box.

If you're worried, get the 100k warranty. You'll be able to carve some nice curves for a very long time. :thumbsup:

Got5onit
02-16-07, 04:22 PM
I don't race the V, don't do hard launches, and have had my diff replaced twice. The last service resulted in an '06 differential being installed. We'll see how this "beefed up" version does.

odla
02-16-07, 04:32 PM
Im like you mostly. I have an o4 stock. gone to the track 1 time. i have shifted hard a few times. i always roll the launch from a light. I been 162mph for about 15min 1 time. i still have stock diff with no problems at all. knock on wood

zozmanCTS-V
02-16-07, 04:52 PM
I have read over a dozen threads where you guys are talking differential problems. I am looking at buying an 05 or 06 V in the coming months, and naturally I am concerned about this...My question is, do you guys think the differential failures are inherent even to normal driving? Or is it instead, shall we say, due to a little over-zealousness with the throttle? ...

Maybe I can answer your question. The original owner of my car was an elderly gentleman who traded it for a F-350 diesel. He never used the car in the winter and what time he spent in it, tired of the shifting. According to the GM VIS I ran on the car, the differential was replaced at 6100 miles. The service record does not indicate driver abuse but rather "annoying whine." This didn't stop me from buying the car. The CTS-V is a relatively new introduction and certainly first year models have some problems. Usual Cadillac buyers will be surprised because the nature of the V-series "is not your daddy's Cadillac." Apparently, the improved 2006 rear, which was installed on my 2005, has less problems than the earlier years. My 1993 Z28, another new model intro and which I bought new, had the rear replaced also early in its life and has been trouble-free for us to this day. Those guys who race this car will be asking for continued maintainance issues with the rear as it's design, altho durable, is not track-suitable in OEM state. Any everyday use without abuse should be good for you. Any GM dealer can run a report to cross reference actual diffs produced less installations in new cars minus inventory which would reveal the number of shop replacements. Had there been significant numbers, we'd have a recall by now. It doesn't bother me because the car is an excellent value, powerful and exciting. I wouldn't hesitate to buy another one at all and recommend it to you. :thumbsup:

Silver Dollar
02-16-07, 05:05 PM
I have an 06 V with 16k miles and no differential problems.

HushH
02-16-07, 09:19 PM
Kadonny,

Did you ever have the pinion seal replaced? They just did that for me this week. Mine had started out just dripping but recently was leaving a nice sized puddle on the garage floor every evening. I've had it back 3 days and no leaking so far. We'll see if it holds.

rand49er
02-16-07, 09:37 PM
Kadonny,

Did you ever have the pinion seal replaced? They just did that for me this week. Mine had started out just dripping but recently was leaving a nice sized puddle on the garage floor every evening. I've had it back 3 days and no leaking so far. We'll see if it holds.:yeah: Same here, except mine has been three weeks, but I've only been out in it for two quick short trips since.

CTS NV
02-16-07, 10:22 PM
Spirited driving, but no abuse (no burnouts, never shut off TC)...admittedly, I do like to remind myself there are 400 horses under the hood, otherwise a CTS sport would have been a fine choice

The diff on my '06 has been leaking since the start. Dealer has had several tries at fixing including a full diff replacement -haven't tried the pinion seals yet.

I still have a slow leak, about one new drop per week in the drip pan in my garage.

I am determined to get a fix...and given my track record, when my diff stops leaking, that should be pretty good assurance that the problem is fixed.

ctsvett
02-17-07, 01:37 AM
wheel hop will contribute to the death of a rear VERY fast..

Reed

JimmyH
02-17-07, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the answers guys. I am willing to take my chances. I figure most used V's out there are from people who didnt anticipate the harsh nature of the car.

I have had plenty of used cars, and new ones. I have had my share of problems with even the new cars. At 55k miles, my Maxima developed corrosion between the the engine and trans causing starting problems. And my dad's Accord has had service problems also. So no car is immune to problems.