: Has Anyone Purchased the Extended Service Warranty

compfan03
02-16-07, 04:52 PM
I have an 04 AWD SRX purchased in April 2004. I believe the warranty is 4 years/48,000 miles. Cadillac has started sending me offers to purchase an extended warranty. If I make the warranty purchase before my odometer reaches 36,000 miles, I get a discount. My estimates are that I would be making this purchase about 1 year before my original new car warranty is up. I do intend to keep the vehicle for several more years and am concerned that Cadillac repairs could be costly. I am just not sure on how worthwhile it would be to purchase this extended warrenty. Any advice on how to proceed would be appreciated.

sgilbert
02-16-07, 08:11 PM
Personally, I refuse to buy extended warranties. BUT, this isn't life insurance where you KNOW you'll die-sometime. Some win, most loose!

c5 rv
02-16-07, 08:17 PM
Be aware of how GMPP works: the extended warranty time and mileage starts on the day you purchase the warranty. The amount you buy is not tacked onto the end of the factory warranty:

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-non-model-specific-discussion/97730-extended-warranty-warning.html

If I keep my Denali (unlikely, but one of my son's has suddenly expressed an interest in buying it three days before I'm supposed to trade it in), I will buy the extended warranty just before my factory warranty expires.

robhersch
02-16-07, 08:28 PM
I believe the basic original new Cad warranty is 4 yrs/ 50,000 miles and that GM extended warranties are not available to owners after the original expires although GM dealers (at some cost to the dealer) can provide GM extended warranties for up to 100,000 miles with a 'certified' Cad resale. My 84 mo/ 84,000 mi warranty was ~ $3,000, purchased when I took delivery of my 05 SRX, since I typically keep autos ~ 10 yrs/ 100,000 miles; and $3,000 for addl 3 yrs/ 34,000 miles coverage is a reasonable bet. My past experience has been that big $$ repairs seem to occur shortly after warranty expires.
At least, GM warranties pay direct to the dealer or repair facility.
Remember that almost any after-warranty repair could significantly exceed the cost of the extended warranty; you bet that you will have a problem while covered and the insurance co bets that you will not.
I have also observed that several third party after-market-warranties may be available, that some actually pay off, and that many (if still in business) renig on payments since you pay the repair up front and claim reimbursement.
Good luck!!!

john d
02-17-07, 02:34 AM
With this model I'd recommend you get every mile and day of extended warranty you can buy ... but only from GM

n7don_srx
02-17-07, 07:33 AM
This outfit ( www.gmoutlet.com/gmpp.htm ) sells GMPP at a discount. This site is also referrenced in C5 RV's link. Some have been successful in getting their dealer to meet their price. I wasn't when I bought the Envoy so I used them.

From my understanding GMPP starts at the current mileage of when it's purchased, not when the vehicle was purchase.... so with Cadillac's 4yr/50000mi warranty if you bought a 60 month GMPP seems like you would only be getting an additional year of coverage. I haven't really studied all the in's and out's yet.

If you decide on an extended warranty most would recommend GMPP and to stay away from third party outfits.

billjesnen
02-17-07, 08:58 AM
You may want to contact the supporting vendor at Superior Cadillac, Scott Pratt, I believe. He may be a good resource in terms of a competitive price on the GM warranty.

compfan03
02-19-07, 03:54 PM
I appreciate all the information. I really did NOT realize that the extended warranty starts on the day you pay - NOT on the date the original warranty expires. I just do nt see any reason to start the extended warranty before the original warranty expires. I think I will wait one more year and then decide.

robhersch
02-20-07, 12:58 AM
I appreciate all the information. I really did NOT realize that the extended warranty starts on the day you pay - NOT on the date the original warranty expires. I just do nt see any reason to start the extended warranty before the original warranty expires. I think I will wait one more year and then decide.

Suggest you check out the warranty prices just to be sure of your cost for given additional number of miles and additional months to ensure that waiting a year will pay off; think of a warranty like life insurance: a $AA,000 face 20 yr policy for a 30 yr old is $X per mo, bet you find $AA,000 20 yr policy for a 45 yr old is $3*X or more per mo (as well as maybe some exclusions later).
Good luck with your choice.