: (Fluids) Recommended for track use!!!

tweeter81
02-16-07, 10:11 AM
I have seen a bunch of threads bouncing around here with people asking about aftermarket fluids and what to use for track use. I am getting ready, in a few weeks, to change all my fluids for some upcoming track days. I have compiled a partial list of good aftermarket fluids to use based on some knowledge from 50_4Ever, rgd, and others. Here is what I have so far:
(BP = Boiling Point)

1) Power Steering Fluid: Red Line Synthetic (BP = 437 degrees F)
or Royal Purple Synthetic (BP = 650 degrees F)

2) Brake/Hydraulic Clutch Fluid: Performance Friction Z-Rated DOT 3 (BP = 550 degrees F)

3) Differential: Royal Purple Synthetic (I have direct experience with this one and it keeps the diff much quieter than the GM grape stuff and it already has the friction modifier added into it)

4) Transmission: GM stuff or ???

5) Engine Oil: Mobil 1 5w30 or ???

6) Coolant: GM pink stuff or ???

As you can see, this is only the partial list. Anybody who can fill in the ??? please post. I think this is something that can be in the FAQ when it is completed. Having all the information in a concise little list is very helpful rather than having to look for it all over the forums. Thanks in advance for any and all input.

RacerVX
02-16-07, 11:03 AM
Good thread. I was thinking along these lines recently.

Brake Fluid: For track use, I have used Castrol SRF with a lot of success. I have also used Mercedes Benz DOT 4 for street/track combination use.

Differential: I generally use Mobil 1 75w-90LS. It too has the LS additive already blended in. I have been toying with the idea of using Mobil 1 75w-140LS. There have been some posts about failures due to viscosity breakdown. According to Mobil's website, the 75w-140LS has less additive and would probably need to be supplemented by the GM stuff.

Transmission: Have used Dexron III, Mobil 1 ATF and Redline MTL without problems but considering Dexron VI. Still trying to make sense of these two seemingly conflicting bulletins

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/tsb/data/04-07-30-037b.pdf

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/tsb/data/pip3836.pdf

Engine Oil: I use Mobil 1 0w-40

Coolant: Dexcool.

Dreamin
02-16-07, 12:32 PM
Brake Fluid: Motul 600. Castrol SRF if you have the means ($90/liter).

Clutch Fluid: Castrol LMA (I dont change this too often, and this is the best stuff as far as not absorbing moisture).

Everything else: Factory brew (Mobil 1)... and change often. I prefer this instead of using more expensive fluids and changing them less often.

JJKJ
02-16-07, 10:20 PM
Redline actually recommends D4 ATF for the T56 trans. I've always run D4 ATF in all of my T56's for track use with good results.

John

heavypedal
02-17-07, 02:27 PM
Working on a full master Track Prep checklist Tweeter....adding the suggestions here and throwing you along with everyone down as a contributor. This checklist will be in constant flux as new/better stuff comes out....just trying to draw up a comprehensive baseline (complete with resources, etc.) Just taking forever to pull together everyone's advice and FAQ recommendations ; )

T

heavypedal
02-17-07, 05:33 PM
Keep the recommendations comin...