: Bad vibration in my 07 after snow storm

ChuckTu
02-16-07, 09:40 AM
Driving home last night after a big snow storm I noticed a bad vibration coming from the front end at any speed over 50. I thought maybe it had to do with the snow and the roads not being very plowed. But again this morning on virtually dry roads I got the same vibration at the same speed. Anybody know what this could be due to?

I did notice some snow packed inside my 22" wheels...could that be throwing the balance of the wheels off thus causing the shaking of the steering wheel? Or would it be something more like a loose wheel maybe? The truck has less than 400 miles on it so I would hope it wouldn't be out of balance especially since I've had no problems up until this point...and only since the snowfall...

Any ideas???

hcvone
02-16-07, 09:47 AM
Yes packing the insides of the wheels with snow and ice can throw your balance off, and the size of the 22's will even make is worse because they hold a lot of snow and ice. It's not uncommon to tear off wheel weights in snow storms as well, this has happened to me before.

aburzen
02-16-07, 09:53 AM
I agree with hcvone. When I used to live up north, I had this issue a few times. That snow can really pack tight, which adds a lot of weight.

RunningOnEMT
02-16-07, 10:04 AM
ice in the wheels

happened to my V last night...

ChuckTu
02-16-07, 10:34 AM
Well I'll be...I've never heard of such a thing...heh, then again I've never driven a truck with 22" wheels in the winter...all my other wheels have been much less open thusly no snow pack inside...I'll have to take a brush and run it around the inside and clean 'em out tonight...thanks for all the quick responses...

LLT
02-16-07, 12:59 PM
Reminds me of one of my favorite movies "My Cousin Vinny" where the guy was talking about mud in the tires. lol

tmclaug1
02-16-07, 06:03 PM
Other than the vibration how did you make it in the snow with those 22's?

ChuckTu
02-16-07, 11:44 PM
22's seemed to work fine...although I didn't go driving in the worst part of the storm...but the aftermath of the next day was just bad enough on the unplowed side roads...not my first choice in snow tires/wheels but I'm stuck with what I got for now...

hcvone
02-17-07, 07:12 AM
Get yourself a set of stock 18's from E-Bay, put Bridgestone Revo's on them for great deep snow traction, and good riding on the highway. :)

ejholt
02-17-07, 07:54 PM
I live up in Maine and when returning from a business trip I noticed a bad vibration as soon as I got in the Interstate and the truck shook the whole way home. The foolowing day, I took it to the car wash to clean out all the snow, etc., but the truck still does the samething.

hcvone
02-18-07, 07:08 AM
Many times the buildup of snow and ice will tear a wheel weight off, happened to me several times over the past years

07slade
02-20-07, 05:16 PM
I have had the issue with the snow/dirt that builds up behind the wheel and it gets so big that its dragging on the ground and filling the whole wheel well, that happened to be the other night on the highway and the whole truck started vibrating and shaking when i was getting on so i pulled over and looked in all of the wheel well for something stuck and the snow buildup was surrounding the wheel completely..you just have to make sure to keep them down when its snowing, now when i walk up to it i always look and if there is any buildup kick it out.

hcvone
02-20-07, 06:10 PM
I have had the issue with the snow/dirt that builds up behind the wheel and it gets so big that its dragging on the ground and filling the whole wheel well, that happened to be the other night on the highway and the whole truck started vibrating and shaking when i was getting on so i pulled over and looked in all of the wheel well for something stuck and the snow buildup was surrounding the wheel completely..you just have to make sure to keep them down when its snowing, now when i walk up to it i always look and if there is any buildup kick it out.

07, we were up your way in Tug Hill last week, there was too much snow so we rode in Old Forge, only there for 2 days, wanted to make sure the trailer was ready for the big trip.

Krug Ford
02-20-07, 08:27 PM
yes I have seen this too. Even with the 20: wheels on my truck know with snow packed.

Make a vibration.

07slade
02-20-07, 11:08 PM
HC we should have met up, my son and husband love all of that snowmobiling atving stuff, yeah the snow here last week was bad, i got the escalade stuck but back forward back forward FLOOR it got me out, i went up to one of our camps on lake ontairo and saw thier 9ft of snow, WOW! never seen anything like it. next time your around come for a visit..i'll make you dinner

hcvone
02-21-07, 07:42 AM
I will either contact you on our way home from Quebec, or our next trip tp Old Forge. :)