: 1992-1995 LT1 Ignition Coil Upgrade?

N0DIH
02-16-07, 08:05 AM
I have heard that repalcing the 92-95 LT1 ignition coil with a 96 or an aftermarket coil is a performance upgrade. Has anyone done it?

Is it REALLY an upgrade in power or drivability? I have been thinking of doing it, but if it gains me nothing, I don't want to bother with spending $$ for nothing.

Current ignition works fine, idles like a Cadillac.... But considering my mpg has never been stellar, I have wondered if this is something that might help.

BCs71
02-16-07, 01:58 PM
The 1996 LT1 B/D body coil is supposed to be an upgrade with better technology or hard parts put into it. Aftermarket coils like MSD have been known to be hit or miss as far as quality goes...

The 96 coil is not a direct swap requiring minor wiring changes since the harness is slightly different. The ISSF has a good set of instructions.

I am just preaching heresay since I have not swapped coils. My 1996 Caprice works fine witha 96 coil, as does my 1994 Caddy with a 1994 coil. I do have some minor detonation issues with the Caddy and have considered the upgrade, especially since I have an extra 96 coil somewhere, I think...
But that's as far as I've gone with it, just thinking.

FASSTWOOD
02-16-07, 04:45 PM
I went with the MSD coil as an uprgade. I did this since I was chasing a gremlin in my ignition system and figured i woud just spend the money on the msd coil.. It was actually cheapper than an aftermarket stock coil at autozone and they didn't have the original one in stock...

Ona side note: The electrical connector going to the coil was what was giving me my problem. All fixed now...