: New Here- A Few Questions

folex187
02-16-07, 01:06 AM
Hello all! I am the proud new owner of an 04 black/black V and I have a few questions.
First- I keep hearing about how fragile the rear-end is on this car. If I do not plan on any power adders but do enjoy going to the track from time to time should I worry with the stock diff? Is the KARS stage 1/2 overkill? If the diff does blow will warranty cover it or is it considered "abuse"

Second- Another tracking question- I was planning on running Nitto 555R's during the summer. Can the stock Diff handle the added grip?

Third- Warranty question- I planned on running H&R springs like my last car but I have never owned a GM car. How do they treat their warranty claims? Will the addition of lowering springs kiss any warranty I have goodbye?

Thanks!

Lord Cadillac
02-16-07, 02:18 AM
Just taking a moment to welcome you.. So.. Welcome aboard! And thank you for signing up.. I'll let the rest answer your questions as they know more about the answers than I do...

rand49er
02-16-07, 05:59 AM
:welcome:

I don't take my car to the strip, so don't feel qualified to answer your questions.

Kadonny
02-16-07, 07:32 AM
Regarding your diff warranty issue. If you mod the rear cradle at all, then it really is a crapshoot if your dealer will warrrant it. It will depend on them if they accept or deny a claim if they see you have a Kars kit or another rear mod to it.

Regarding the Nittos, plenty here use them, and again it is a gamble if your diff will go. A few guys have left a diff sitting on the track so it's really up to you to make a decision. There is a long trail of broken diffs on these cars for many different reasons, no one can guarantee you one way or the other what will happen to yours.

Hope that helped.

svassh
02-16-07, 08:25 AM
Welcome to Heaven and Hell.

Heaven - When the car is not at the dealership
Hell - Well you get the point

Fortunately Hell doesn't require alot of visits but they are long and there is knashing of teeth.

valdeztke
02-16-07, 08:53 AM
Hello all! I am the proud new owner of an 04 black/black V and I have a few questions.
First- I keep hearing about how fragile the rear-end is on this car. If I do not plan on any power adders but do enjoy going to the track from time to time should I worry with the stock diff? Is the KARS stage 1/2 overkill? If the diff does blow will warranty cover it or is it considered "abuse"

Second- Another tracking question- I was planning on running Nitto 555R's during the summer. Can the stock Diff handle the added grip?

Third- Warranty question- I planned on running H&R springs like my last car but I have never owned a GM car. How do they treat their warranty claims? Will the addition of lowering springs kiss any warranty I have goodbye?

1. Warranty is such a hit-n-miss. It really depends on your local dealer - but yes, if you track the car you will blow your rear at some point unless you walk it off the line which doesnt help your times.

2. nitto 555r - Well people have blown up pumpkins on the stock crap F1's so you can draw the conclusion from putting on a stickier tire

3. Why are you lowering?

folex187
02-16-07, 01:54 PM
Thanks for the responses guys! I like this board already.

I spent about 5 hours browsing this forum last night and came accross the WW mod to lower 1in for next to nothing and that is sounding like a much safer plan. This is my first sedan and I really like the low aggressive look on these cars.

I was reading a little about the factory response to the wheel hop (the TSB on the bushings). Is this something that I can get the dealer to do for free or is it a cost upgrade?

valdeztke
02-16-07, 01:59 PM
I believe the WW mod was (isnt made any longer) designed to trick the shocks to not auto level once the car was lowered.

I for one believe that unless you are putting larger wheels on a car simply lowering to sit lower is a bit silly.

Now if you install a fully adjustable coilover system that gives you better handling and the option to adjust for varying conditions - then I say go for it!

The dealer doesnt offer a fix to the wheel hop. You can look into the KARS kit or the BMW kit to quell your wheel hop.

folex187
02-16-07, 04:33 PM
I thought the WW mod actually dropped the car about an inch on stock springs? Silly to many but important to me. I think a subtle drop really sets off the way an aggressive car looks. Thanks for the input.