: We should add a poll for how many times your wheels have been refinished...

nikon
02-15-07, 03:12 PM
well Ill be on #3 pretty soon, just got new tires installed and...yup they scratched em again...and they're idiots, they have a 50k rim machine sittin in the corner that is gauranteed to not scratch rims (found this out from the owner afterwards) and the guy used the cheapest machine in the shop to do my rims...on top of that they stripped my locking lugs out, so I get new ones of those too...on the brighter side I love my new BFG kdw2's I've put a grand total of 10miles on em so far...but I love em...well thats about it

/rant

WHYTRY
02-15-07, 05:46 PM
I'm on #3 getting ready to be on #4 next time my tries get changed and the refinishing sucks compared to factory. Orange peel, overspray inside the rims, lug holes, exc. I just wonder how many coats of paint they can take before the paint get brittle and chips easy

ta206
02-15-07, 05:58 PM
And I thought I was the only one.... I had a nail in one of my original F-1's and took it to the dealer. They scratched my rim. They sent it out twice to be refinished. It looked like crap each time and they finally bit the bullet and bought me a new one. There's nothing like a factory finish.

bcholka
02-15-07, 06:29 PM
I'm getting ready to have mine refinshed for the second time. My Cadillac dealer claims to have a fancy tire machine that won't scratch/damage the rims. 1 question I do have--should I be having an actual body shop strip my rims and repaint/clearcoat them or is there another process out there?? Also, is there a "GM" factory paint code for our rims?? My "V" is a 2004 and it looks to me like newer "V's" have a slightly different look to the finish on their rims--maybe a bit more "frosty"?? :confused:

nikon
02-16-07, 09:30 AM
^^ ya theres a whole process they're supposed to do...they never do it though...usually just sand it down and paint it....I agree looks like ass every time they try and do it....Ill be doing the chrome exchange soon enough..but it still pisses me off.

bcholka
02-16-07, 05:11 PM
^^ ya theres a whole process they're supposed to do...they never do it though...usually just sand it down and paint it....I agree looks like ass every time they try and do it....Ill be doing the chrome exchange soon enough..but it still pisses me off.

So do the chrome wheels hold up better on the tire machine's or do they get damaged just like the painted wheels?? I would think it would be pretty ugly if the chromies got damaged as it would be impossible to "repair" or touch them up like people do with the painted ones.........:confused:

austin
02-16-07, 05:31 PM
One time... All four. :(

wildwhl
02-16-07, 05:36 PM
None of the wheels I have for sale in the classifieds have been refinished...:hide:

WW

nikon
02-17-07, 08:47 AM
So do the chrome wheels hold up better on the tire machine's or do they get damaged just like the painted wheels?? I would think it would be pretty ugly if the chromies got damaged as it would be impossible to "repair" or touch them up like people do with the painted ones.........:confused:

man, I'd hope the chrome would hold up better...I mean the last paint job my rims got was so terrible I can litterally scratch it off with my fingernail...I've had a couple sets of chrome wheels and never had a problem with them..even on old ratty tire machines...they just seem tougher than the paint....I dunno, we'll see what happens in a short few months...now I'm wondering if I should let them paint the wheels again, or just say **** it and roll on scratched up rims...I mean it really looks like I just got the car and hit every curb I saw...it's terrible...I dunno, at least I'm not alone.

bcholka
02-17-07, 08:59 AM
man, I'd hope the chrome would hold up better...I mean the last paint job my rims got was so terrible I can litterally scratch it off with my fingernail...I've had a couple sets of chrome wheels and never had a problem with them..even on old ratty tire machines...they just seem tougher than the paint....I dunno, we'll see what happens in a short few months...now I'm wondering if I should let them paint the wheels again, or just say **** it and roll on scratched up rims...I mean it really looks like I just got the car and hit every curb I saw...it's terrible...I dunno, at least I'm not alone.

Maybe I should just go with chrome to eliminate the headache of the paint/scratch problem. Do you think the stock chromes are OK or are they too "ghetto"?? :bling:

nikon
02-17-07, 06:25 PM
I dont think they're ghettoooo at all take a look at TXSilverV, he has chrome stockers on a silver V...looks hawt...looks even better on a black V..

Imperator
02-18-07, 12:52 AM
I'm still on refinish #1 with mine... they actually look and wear better than they started with since the factory is paint only, no clearcoat. Still, I don't see this finish lasting long.

I paid $110 to have a professional tire and wheel shop mount my last set of tires just to avoid this whole problem. After getting a patch done at my local Discount Tire, I found out just how the R&R process works. One thing they recommended I do is to buy a new "duck head" for their machines and bring it with me whenever I need service. The shop's heads get trashed in a day from all the dirt/debris other people leave behind on their wheels.

Now I'm thinking of doing the chrome exchange also--it should at least give me a more durable surface that's easier to clean. I'm thinking black chrome; does anyone know who offer black chrome anymore?

WHYTRY
02-18-07, 11:47 AM
Where do they do the chrome exchange? I would love to have black chrome where is that?