: STS-V in this ....!!!!!?????

xxpinballxx
02-15-07, 03:55 PM
Just thought I would let you guys know that there was a guy today pumping gas at a local station in a silver STS-V!!!! I asked him how it handles in the snow and he said not too bad....then I proceeded to piss him off I think. I called him crazy for driving that thing in this snow. He said its a car not a monet! I told him I beg to differ.....he just dismissed me.....imagine what his weekend pleasure is?

AirJigga25
02-15-07, 04:05 PM
Just thought I would let you guys know that there was a guy today pumping gas at a local station in a silver STS-V!!!! I asked him how it handles in the snow and he said not too bad....then I proceeded to piss him off I think. I called him crazy for driving that thing in this snow. He said its a car not a monet! I told him I beg to differ.....he just dismissed me.....imagine what his weekend pleasure is?

Hey its a free world, if he wants to drive his STS-V in the snow he can do it. But that guy probably wasn't taking care of his investment like he should but whatever... he probably never wants to drive anything else besides his V.

Side note:

I stayed in boston last night and this morning at 7:20am, I had to hack off a half an inch of ice off my windshield in a business suit with no gloves or hat in 14 degree weather without the windchill. I wish I could've taped myself. Next time i'll remember my gloves & hat. My car has taken a beating the last couple days.

AirJigga25
02-15-07, 04:06 PM
what would you rather have, a CTS-V or an STS-V?

Spyder
02-15-07, 04:27 PM
STS-V, without a doubt.

If I had one, I'd drive it year round too. My Challenger, I'm going to drive it everywhere. Probably take it fishing and hunting and swimming at the river. What's the point of having it if you're not driving it. :)

xxpinballxx
02-15-07, 04:34 PM
STS without question and not cause the price...it may be 20 grand more but I am close to or at 6'5" and 260 pounds....I need the space....I have always liked the bigger luxury cars....drove a clean as a whistle 1991 olds 98 for almost 9 years.....

xxpinballxx
02-15-07, 04:36 PM
well spyder my opinion is that if you buy a car for 75 grand you should be able to afford to keep it prestine and have the money for a DTS for a daily driver or whatever.....i see your point though...if it is your dream car why drive anything else.

AirJigga25
02-15-07, 05:12 PM
STS-V's are repimpulous. I'll take one in Black on black with the navigation.

Red_October_7000
02-15-07, 10:37 PM
I'd want a stick. Can you get the stick in the STS-V? That would be a car!

Kadonny
02-16-07, 08:49 AM
No stick available and I like it that way. I have driven stick all my life, including a CTS-V. I like not shifting for once in my life.

My V is sitting in my garage all week. It has not even peeked it's head out to see what it's like outside.

I agree to a point though, you buy this car to drive it. But when it gets this ugly outside you need to keep it safe and sound. You would cry if you put it in a ditch and it's not worth it.

XLRvman
02-16-07, 09:34 AM
Gents at times, living near the Windy City, I need to drive my V in the snow...it is absolutley terrible with the stock tires. When available I always use another vehicle.

Bartlett_2
02-16-07, 10:17 AM
I only put my V away if the snow gets to more than an inch or two on the ground, and then I drive my company truck. The V sucks in the deep snow, and that's the only time I wont drive it, for my and my kids personal safety. I bought this car to have a refined comfortable drive all the time. The STS-V is IMHO a very bad "investment". Also, this car is a four door Sedan, not a two seater or a convertable. Blast me away, I consider my 07 shelby gt500 more worthy of being winter safe. Not becaue it is better car, (it certainly isn't a better brand) but because it actually only a "sometimes" car.

bobs-sts-v
02-16-07, 11:41 AM
I agree that the stock tires are pretty much worthless in snow over 1" deep. But my other car choices are stealing my daughter's Dodge Neon, the Toyota Sienna minivan (currently under my wife's control) or the Jaguar XK8 convertible. While my daughter could ride the bus to school, the Neon is quite a step down in terms of performance and amenities, not to mention the wrath of a high school senior without her ride to work or school. My wife refuses to drive my V, which is fine with me, so stealing the van isn't an option. And the Jaguar is no better in the snow than the V!
I bought the V to drive, so drive it I do. I grew up driving rear wheel drive, and still get a kick out of the controlled fishtail slides in and out of my driveway or the remote areas! Never in traffic, though. As I said in a previous post, I do need a second set of rims to mount some decent snow/all season tires so I feel a little safer in the snow. Any help there would be appreciated!

harryctsv
02-16-07, 12:59 PM
I agree that the stock tires are pretty much worthless in snow over 1" deep. But my other car choices are stealing my daughter's Dodge Neon, the Toyota Sienna minivan (currently under my wife's control) or the Jaguar XK8 convertible. While my daughter could ride the bus to school, the Neon is quite a step down in terms of performance and amenities, not to mention the wrath of a high school senior without her ride to work or school. My wife refuses to drive my V, which is fine with me, so stealing the van isn't an option. And the Jaguar is no better in the snow than the V!
I bought the V to drive, so drive it I do. I grew up driving rear wheel drive, and still get a kick out of the controlled fishtail slides in and out of my driveway or the remote areas! Never in traffic, though. As I said in a previous post, I do need a second set of rims to mount some decent snow/all season tires so I feel a little safer in the snow. Any help there would be appreciated!
Hi Bob,
I bought in December a brand new STS export model, I`m german and live here. We have on the export STS the STS V brakes and (now don`t laugh) the CTS V wheels (six lug nuts) with all around 255/45 18 tires.

I don`t have winter tires on mine but Cadillac-Europe recomments for the STS the winter tire size 245/45 18. The CTS V wheels fits your STS V too.

There`s 9 different winter-tires in this size available at tirerack.com

Hope I could help.

Harry

Kadonny
02-16-07, 03:46 PM
Bob, I hear you about driving it, but around here it's not safe to drive. Any type of hill where you would have to stop and go would doom you to getting stuck. Driving the V in snow around my parts is not even an option.

bobs-sts-v
02-16-07, 10:52 PM
Kadonny, I heard you had some REAL bad stuff - ice, snow, roads closed for days now. Glad I am not in that!

Harry, that is the EXACT conversation I had with my service tech guy at the local dealership. He and I have been working together for the last 6 years, and he is VERY honest and up front with me. He told me I should mount the 18" rims all around with the Blizzac snow tires or the ADVAN S.4. tires. Even the Michelin Sport A/S would be okay. I had the Michelins on my old STS and they worked great. Going to the AutoShow tomorrow to see if any of the vendors have decent rims at a discount (final weekend). If not, I have a line (finally) on two other sources and the TPMS.

Bob

Red_October_7000
02-17-07, 12:00 AM
Yeah dude, that's why there are $1300 K-5 Blazers for sale on people's front lawns. Hell, if buying the STS and the XLR(!) drained your wallet, you could probably pick up an old Subaru wagon for about $500. I'm from the northeast and understand very well the concept of a winter-beatr -i.e. a mostly valueless car, preferably a 4WD or one otherwise good in snow, that is used only in winter to preserve a superior vehicle or one unsuitable for winter use.

WillySTS
02-17-07, 01:54 AM
You guys think HE's crazy for drivin' a V in the snow...why would you even LIVE where it snows?!!! And where do you have to go when it's snowing outside??? Is it THAT important?!?!?!

...no, I'm the one who doesn't understand.

harryctsv
02-17-07, 12:52 PM
Kadonny, I heard you had some REAL bad stuff - ice, snow, roads closed for days now. Glad I am not in that!

Harry, that is the EXACT conversation I had with my service tech guy at the local dealership. He and I have been working together for the last 6 years, and he is VERY honest and up front with me. He told me I should mount the 18" rims all around with the Blizzac snow tires or the ADVAN S.4. tires. Even the Michelin Sport A/S would be okay. I had the Michelins on my old STS and they worked great. Going to the AutoShow tomorrow to see if any of the vendors have decent rims at a discount (final weekend). If not, I have a line (finally) on two other sources and the TPMS.

Bob

Bob, when you have your winter-wheels on show us with a picture.

I know many CTS V drivers changed their wheels to bigger ones, you might could get a good deal for stock CTS V wheels. They look good on the STS and would look good on your V too.

Harry

Kadonny
02-19-07, 10:36 AM
And where do you have to go when it's snowing outside??? Is it THAT important?!?!?!

Uhhhhhhhh, work maybe? Just last week I had to get up and drive into work during a pretty bad snow/ice storm. Are you just going to stop working because it's snowing?

Bobs, that traffic jam was real ugly, thank god that was north of where I am by about an hours drive. I still can't believe that it took that long to clear the road. 20 hours! The Governor of PA is catching some serious sh** for it, as he should.

xxpinballxx
02-19-07, 04:31 PM
I just would hate to even get that thing dirty...I cringe when I see my base Deville out in the Snow with all the white from the salt covering the lower half of the car. I probably have had to wash my car 6 times in the last month or so.

V-Beach
02-19-07, 06:12 PM
What the hell is snow?

bobs-sts-v
02-19-07, 11:57 PM
The salt thing is annoying. But that is what God made carwashes for. Get yourself a 7-day wash pass from Turtle Wax (or equivalent) and get it washed as needed. In the winter, I make sure to hit the undercarriage once a week as well.
Bob

me_dimitri
02-20-07, 06:22 PM
Boys, Boys, Boys...

I bought my car to replace my Vette / GMC Jimmy combo and I bought it to drive.

I drove it this past couple of weeks since I got it through some major snow dumpage, (1000 miles now on the odo), and although it is not the best winter performing I have driven, it is certainly not close to the worst.

I have the Blizzaks on the stock rims and moderating my speed works wonders.

I live in Toronto and drive to Ottawa often, where the temp is always lower and the snow correspondingly higher and love driving my V.

I grew up driving Caprice's and other big rear wheelers and this aint so bad.

Besides my car is a lease and I intend to use every mile / Klm.

Hurrah for heated seats, sterring wheel and remote starts :)
Beats a beater every time.

Your Brother in Canuck-Land

Dimitri

P.S. all the washing required to Keep Black looking Black in winter does suck.

Albertan
02-21-07, 12:18 AM
Just a note for the guy who suggested Michelin Pilot Sport A/S. I put them on my CTS and just did a 1600 mile road trip. I hit ground drifting, ice, snow downpouring rain and semi flooded driving lanes. Not to mention windstorms and tumbleweeds 3 feet in dia. The tire were perfect. Never once did I slide or hyroplane surefooted all the way. I guess that's why I've not even considered another tire brand for the past 20 years.
Bruce