: My bad luck continues...

Lord Cadillac
02-15-07, 02:48 PM
So, I finally get my "system" situation finished and taken care of today. Danielle picked up the ESV and drove it home. However, the box fell-over upon acceleration (I actually have it setup so that this wouldn't happen but I didn't get a chance to arrange this since I hadn't seen it yet). Now I'm guessing the speakers are shot..

There are no covers for the speakers but they lie flat with the box. I did intend on putting some type of guards over them anyway - but I didn't have the chance...

Anyway. It sounds as if I'm pushing twice the recommended power through them. They pop, shutter and overall sound like hell unless the volume is very low.. Can I assume they're finished? What component inside has broken?

http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/pio/pe/images/portal/cit_3442/297394781TS-SW3041D%20Regular.jpg

Lord Cadillac
02-15-07, 02:52 PM
Also. Is it normal with a mono amp that when I fade either all the way to the left or right, I get no bass from the speakers powered by the amp? I was messing around with things today - before I had realized the speakers fell - but never did this before (with this setup). So I don't know if this is the way it was before...

OffThaHorseCEO
02-15-07, 03:56 PM
i dont kno about the messed up speaker, but i wouldnt worry about the fading all the way left or right especially if the amp is being fed thru a "subwoofer" rca on the headunit

OffThaHorseCEO
02-15-07, 03:57 PM
what was changed, im assuming it was dropped off since danielle picked it up, so what changes were made at that point, if any

Lord Cadillac
02-15-07, 04:19 PM
The only change besides the amplifier being dropped back in - was the fuse under the hood. The console MIGHT have been taken apart to look at the bass-boost switch - which I now have disconnected (at the amp) anyway. Something is really totally wrong.. I'm actually hoping it's the speakers because that would be the easiest, least expensive thing to replace...

the727kid
02-15-07, 07:39 PM
I'm confused so I can't ehlp lol.

Lord Cadillac
02-15-07, 08:50 PM
Where's the bass guru?

the727kid
02-15-07, 08:57 PM
Explain the issue more clearly and a I can problally help.

CadillacSTS42005
02-15-07, 10:49 PM
only thing i can think of is dropping them caused the the diaphram to be pushed in and maybe cooked the voice coils
its a huge stretch but thats what i think...

OffThaHorseCEO
02-16-07, 12:49 AM
...amplifier being dropped back in...

are the settings on the new amp right?

if all they did was screw it back in and make the connectons probably not, since the out of box settings are usually wrong.

all the x-over and input sensitivity and everything, try fiddling with those, or not fiddling but adjusting, maybe thats the problem

Lord Cadillac
02-16-07, 02:23 AM
I updated all the settings to the way they were before. It's actually the same amp.. And I took pictures of the settings so that I could get them back exactly the way they were when it was returned..

I'm going to see if I can get a store to hook up a pair of speakers to my amp. Or am I wasting my time? Will they not go for that? I figure I'll walk into a store and ask to hear what a pre-configured box with two 12s would sound like when connected to my amp...

If that sounds fine, than my speakers are shot. If not, than the problem lies elsewhere.. That's really the only way I can figure this out other than actually buying new speakers to see what they sound like.. I can't afford to buy new speakers when the old ones were perfectly fine..

This all sucks pretty badly. It's amazing how bad it sounds now. It's a shame because after I switched to that smaller box, it was perfect. Now it's weak, rattly and embarassing...

CadillacSTS42005
02-16-07, 09:21 AM
if your going to try adjusting all the gains and knob start them all off at zero or the lowest setting
then one by one ajusting the bass boost last ajdust the knobs till they reach before the bass starts cutting out and rattleing
if that doesnt help again since the subs are the only thing that fell id guess it to be them and it sounds more like them too, but an amp or bad ground or power wire could also be it, heck maybe the speaker wires came off one sub inside and all that powers going to one sub and its majorly over powering it, in a small box heck even in a large one with enough power, one sub even if its not connected will still look like it is due to the air from the connected sub pushing it.

the727kid
02-16-07, 09:27 AM
If the subs fell, my money is on a wire came loose.