: Need Help Restoring 1975 Cadillac Limo

lesinfamous
02-14-07, 06:54 PM
I Just Bout A 1975 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy Five 9 Passenger Sedan. Its Now With A Company That Wants To Charge Me Over $30,000 For A Paint Job And Rust Removal. Does Anyone Know Names Of Quality Cadillac Restoration Shops That Would Probably Charge Less???? Thankss

N0DIH
02-14-07, 08:40 PM
That is too much. Take it to the local Cadillac dealer and ask them for a quote on the same work.

Find some other body shops too. This isn't something that needs to be Cadillac specific.

How much work are you going to do yourself? The more you do yourself the better, make it a learning experience too.

Restoring a car is almost always a labor of love, and you almost never recover the $$ invested when it is sold someday. So plan a budget on what you feel is reasonable to spend and work around it.

Bodywork is heavily labor intensive. Parts are often tough to come by on older cars that aren't mainstream. Do as much as you can by yourself, only farm out what you can't do or need the pro to do.

lesinfamous
02-14-07, 09:21 PM
thanks a lot. i knew it was too much. i thought the people were crazy. they are known and specialize in restoring cadillacs but i do not want to pay a premium over a name. i am trying to spend 10-15,000. its in pretty good condition, only has 46,000 on it( an old guy had it). it just needs blasting and painting.

Old Fleetwood
02-14-07, 10:51 PM
You might also hit the local AutoZone, NAPA or other "Toy Stores" and look over their selections of books on body and paint work. You'd be amazed at what you can find.
Further, what you don't want to buy, you might just be able to find at a good public library or even buy cheaply on the web like at Amazon dot com and others.
Just keep looking.
Others on this BB have done wonders with just a little paint such as RustOleum. You wouldn't believe what you can do if you are willing to invest time and patience and some elbow grease as well as some "book l'arnin'."
Good Luck! :thumbsup:

Adam
02-16-07, 11:52 PM
got pics of it? post them here and let us see it! congrats on owning one of my dream Caddies!

sizanjdf
02-17-07, 02:22 AM
I have a 74 fleetwood seventy five that was pretty rough when I bought it. Ive got a little over 600 bucks in the car now and the body is almost ready for paint. I paid 400 for the car and have driven it off and on for a year and a half. If you pay someone to do the paint and body work unless its much worse than mine I would say around 4000 dollars if they strip it all the way down to metal and do it right.

lesinfamous
02-19-07, 11:42 PM
Here it is

Benzilla
02-19-07, 11:47 PM
That's beautiful! Are you sure it needs paint right now? What's on there woulds probably look good with some buffing. That way you could focus on other things first, and still have it look nice.

Benzilla
02-19-07, 11:52 PM
BTW, it screams for wider whitewalls. ;)

sizanjdf
02-20-07, 12:53 AM
LOL 30,000 bucks to fix that. for 4-5000 you could have that in perfect shape... I noticed the bumper is gone and the fender skirts pretty rusty, what about the lower rockers around the rear wheel and the lower front fenders? Mine was rusted pretty bad there, but I cut it all out. So go to a pull apart and get skirts and a bumper and take care of all the other rust and have it painted and a new top if it needs it. Here is a pic of mine...Im still doing body work so its mostly flat black right now. Keep in mind ive only got about 600 bucks in it currently

N0DIH
02-26-07, 09:27 PM
You can restore the engine compartment yourself for probably $50. If you are dead set to be a numbers correct resto than it would be costing more, but only for more paints and the time to clean and replace stuff that is worn with proper GM parts like plugs, wires, etc.

lesinfamous
03-02-07, 11:50 PM
anybody know names or websites of professional restoration shops that offer reasonable rates for labor and that perform high quality work? preferrably in ohio pennsylvania and or new york

JTraik
03-03-07, 12:00 PM
Don't let those low numbers I just seen in people's responses fool you. Im doing a frame off resto on my 68', so far i have from the firewall to the front bumper done. Luckily I dont have any rust or bad interior to contend with, despite that i have about $5000 cash into this project so far, this is not including the time that was spent (over 2 years).

If you dive into the engine bay your destined to replace everything, you can't just take parts out, sandblast them and spray them down. You will take off parts and say "its easier just to buy a new one or a rebuild kit than to take this apart and repaint it" or you notice that certain parts need to be plated like hood hinges, rotor covers and the brake booster etc...

So I dont think 30k is too outlandish for a resto job, be prepared to dole out the cash if your having someone else do it, or if you want to do it yourself, just gotta have the time and about half the amount of cash!

Here are some well known restoration shops. Check out Hemmings.com for a plethora of resources.

www.fenenterprises.com

www.whitepost.com

N0DIH
03-03-07, 01:08 PM
It all depends, are you doing a by the book resto? Yes, you will spend tons of $$. It is a labor of love, as you don't make any $$ by selling a restored car.

If you are bringing it back to make it look good and a slick daily driver, you don't need to spend near that much.

How much labor you do vs how much you farm out really makes a huge difference in the price of the resto....

JTraik
03-04-07, 07:52 PM
It all depends, are you doing a by the book resto? Yes, you will spend tons of $$. It is a labor of love, as you don't make any $$ by selling a restored car.

If you are bringing it back to make it look good and a slick daily driver, you don't need to spend near that much.

How much labor you do vs how much you farm out really makes a huge difference in the price of the resto....

That is absolutley correct, I was focusing more on the engine bay however. Theres no cheap way to dress it up!

Pckstude
03-04-07, 08:16 PM
I Just Bout A 1975 Cadillac Fleetwood Seventy Five 9 Passenger Sedan. Its Now With A Company That Wants To Charge Me Over $30,000 For A Paint Job And Rust Removal. Does Anyone Know Names Of Quality Cadillac Restoration Shops That Would Probably Charge Less???? Thankss

Sir, Might I suggest checking out the professional car society. This is a group of people who collect, hearses, ambulances, and limo's. The guys there have been helpful to me, and they could help u find parts, and advice.

http://www.professionalcar.org/?