: Foul Play?

SpecialFX
02-14-07, 09:35 AM
Is it safe to assume foul play if this morning when i went to get in the CDV that both locks will turn (fully both ways) but not engage and actually unlock the car? The push button on the drivers side won't even push in either. The locks on both sides don't just go bad overnight sitting in the driveway, right? I can't find any other signs of an attempted theft.

caddydaddy
02-14-07, 12:33 PM
That is very strange! I would think that if someone really wanted to break in or steal the car, they would just smash the window or use a slim jim.

dkozloski
02-14-07, 01:35 PM
Sounds to me like they're frozen shut. I'll bet it all clears up when the sun comes out.

caddydaddy
02-14-07, 02:44 PM
Sounds to me like they're frozen shut. I'll bet it all clears up when the sun comes out.

That's a good point!

Do the lock knobs move when you turn the key? If that is the case, then the doors might be frozen shut like he said.

Old Fleetwood
02-14-07, 03:35 PM
Ahh, yes. Tell City. Where the wings of a Lockheed Electra fell off, decades ago resulting in a grisly crash. But I bet you also had a nasty ice storm last night and the doors were iced up. (we have that ice storm on the east coast now)
When I lived in Indianapolis that was a frequent annoyance until I rented a garage.
Before that, the one time I tried using my wife's hair dryer I was using to thaw the car it got enough water around the plug from the extension to damn near electrocute myself. :thepan:

Benzilla
02-14-07, 04:04 PM
But that's not quite what he said. He said the locks will turn, but don't unlock the doors. And the push button won't go in. That's not just sticky doors.

Old Fleetwood
02-14-07, 05:13 PM
Okay. My mistake. From what I read from the posts, I thought he still couldn't open the doors.

dkozloski
02-14-07, 05:18 PM
He said he can't push one lock button.The rubber seals are frozen to the door jamb.

Cadillac Giovanni
02-14-07, 06:39 PM
That certainly is odd. The same thing happened to my driver side lock, it turns out the connecting rod between then lock and the lock mechanism had come off. Luckily it came off in the unlocked position.

Not sure about the button sticking though... Probably just iced up.

SpecialFX
02-14-07, 09:07 PM
I have never seen locks ice up like that, but that is what it was. It unlocked this evening after work on the driver's side and the passengers side was the same as in my post. I had to run the heat for about 5-10 mins before the drivers door latch would unfreeze and actually latch the door. Still have never seen any other door where when it freezes, you can turn the key fully both ways, but the lock mechanism doesn't engage. Needless to say the caddy will no longer be parked right in front of teh garage so I will be able to get the GTI out if need be.