: What a V and boat owner have in common

svassh
02-13-07, 10:06 PM
The two happiest days of ownership are the day they bought it and the day they sold it.

I'm about ready to have my 2nd happiest day. The V is back in for the 4th time just to get the stinking parking brake adjusted. For those of you familiar with my saga I have to plant the brake all the way to the floor, even then it doesn't hold the car on a small hill. Twice I was told the parking brake could not be adjusted on these cars. Thanks to this forum I found out its BS and sent them the instructions from James @ Lindsay on how to do it. They then adjusted it on my third visit but it was only marginally better and quickly back to the original 'no hold'. Today on the FOURTH visit after TWO complaints to the dealers customer service I am again told thats how they work on these cars.

The Service Mgr tells me they even went out and tried 3 new CTS cars in the parking lot and they all go to the floor. Three of the visits including today I was given a CTS loaner. The loaner in my garage I have to push hard to get the parking brake half way to the floor.

I am about to go insane on these people. How is it possible for a CADILLAC dealer to have so MANY incompetent people working for them.

Any advice on how to contact a regional Cadillac rep to at least get my complaints about this dealer heard?

Any idea if you can lemon law a car that has been Cadillac Certified?

BTW: This is not the only act of incompetence by this dealer only the most ridiculous one. :bighead:

The Dealer is Sewell Cadillac of Dallas, TX on Lemon Ave Beware!

ctsvflorida
02-13-07, 10:21 PM
They're on the right street at least...'LEMON' Ave.!

You know, my E-brake was the same way for a while and I finally had them adjust it and it's been fine ever since! It still goes down a little ways but holds fine! Sorry to hear about your ridiculous dealer and hope it all works out for ya!

GMBOUND
02-13-07, 10:25 PM
Sorry for you problems you going through, have you tried these phone numbers???
1-800-333-4CAD
This link
http://www.cadillac.com/cadillacjsp/footer/emailus/emailus_owners.jsp

I used to have a number to one of the regional dealer reps and she was really able to stir up some things in my case, but I can't find her number now. The numbers should get you to the right folks to get something going for you!
Good Luck. It's not easy getting them to move when they're stuck on stupid. I know. I've looked at so many Ads from Sewell, what happened to all that crap they talk about making a customer for life, and showing that the owner is an author of some type of book. You ought to throw that book in his face!

heavymetals
02-13-07, 10:48 PM
You may have to start carrying a pair of chocks.

Then it will be like a boat and an airplane to. :stirpot:

Dennisscars
02-13-07, 11:53 PM
A hole in the water you pour money into?

Try a place that knows something about Corvette brakes, our P brake are functionally the same.

ctsvett
02-14-07, 12:31 AM
call cadillac customer service... If that doesnt work, send me an e-mail..

This is BS.. I had the same problem and even my dealership (not the greatest) was able to fix it on the first try. They had to rebuild the brake, but it works great now.

Reed

amyer
02-14-07, 05:43 AM
Lindsay Cadillac fixed mine first time while I waited. By the way, the reason the day that a boat owner sells his boat is the happiest is because he's buying a bigger, faster one.

sy1172
02-14-07, 06:41 AM
Mine goes to the floor too and holds fine. My car only has 7,500 miles on it too. Hmmm, maybe I'll have them check it out as I thought it was normal GM stuff.

LS1Mike
02-14-07, 07:28 AM
If it is similar to a vette, the E-brake is on the inside of the rotor correct? That is like the WS6, and a bunch of other GM cars. There is a little wheeled mechanisim on the inside of the brake rotor you have to pull off the rotor to get at it and adjust it, Once adjusted put the rotor back on and check. Repeat as necessary.
It looks like a mini drum brake inside of the disc. If that is the case I don't understand why this dealership is having such a hard time fixing it.

svassh
02-14-07, 07:41 AM
Sorry for you problems you going through, have you tried these phone numbers???
1-800-333-4CAD
This link
http://www.cadillac.com/cadillacjsp/footer/emailus/emailus_owners.jsp

Thanks I'll call them today. I really love the car but this dealer BS just makes the ownership experience horrible. I can't imagine what kind of crap I will get if the rear end does finally give out.

ctsvflorida
02-14-07, 07:50 AM
Mine goes to the floor too and holds fine. My car only has 7,500 miles on it too. Hmmm, maybe I'll have them check it out as I thought it was normal GM stuff.

Same scenario here! I got my car with 4600 miles and it was the same as yours till 10k miles or so only when it passed approx. 8-9k it wouldn't hold anymore on a slight hill. I then finally went in for an oil cahnge or something and remembered to tell them and it was fixed in an hour or so! Including the oil change! So, I would bring it in soon as it will not hold sooner or later.

ewill3rd
02-14-07, 07:50 AM
Even when adjusted properly the pedal will have travel taking it close to the floor.
We verify they are adjusted by setting the brake and slowly letting the clutch out. You can tell if it will hold.

I am sorry to hear that you are having so much trouble.
I have a friend who works down in Texas, but it looks like he is a 4 hour drive from Dallas.
The design can make the adjusment difficult but it shouldn't be impossible.
Since they can't adjust it right you'd think they would at least give up and put new shoes in it?

I am sure you could do some research on the web and see what kind of recourse you might have in your area.

heavypedal
02-14-07, 09:02 AM
Hey sv, I have the same problem with the P brake. Strangely enough, the car is with my Caddy dealer right now getting alignment and the P brake tightened. Damn near had to push it into the engine compartment to get it to stick.... and heaven forbid if I left it in neutral. Fingers crossed my dealer can fix it.

p.s. Sorry to hear about all the bad dealership experiences.... I know you've been dealing with that krap for a while. My point... with over 2 million peeps just in Dallas, isn't there another Caddy dealer close?

http://quickfacts.census.gov/qfd/states/48/48113.html

heavypedal
02-14-07, 09:03 AM
Move to Frisco....everyone else is ;)

The Tony Show
02-14-07, 09:11 AM
I know the feeling, man. Mine's in the shop right now for a driveshaft vibration, as well as diff #3. While disassembling it, they broke an exhaust bolt, plus found out my radiator's leaking (TSB issue), and I have a stretched bolt in the rear control arm, so I get to wait even longer while parts get ordered. It's enough to make me want to sell the bastard, but I know once it's fixed I'll be driving and grinning again.

Keep the faith, and be glad we aren't like Ferarri owners who have to spend $10k every two years for required timing belts and valve jobs.

ctsvflorida
02-14-07, 09:21 AM
I know the feeling, man. Mine's in the shop right now for a driveshaft vibration, as well as diff #3. While disassembling it, they broke an exhaust bolt, plus found out my radiator's leaking (TSB issue), and I have a stretched bolt in the rear control arm, so I get to wait even longer while parts get ordered. It's enough to make me want to sell the bastard, but I know once it's fixed I'll be driving and grinning again.

Keep the faith, and be glad we aren't like Ferarri owners who have to spend $10k every two years for required timing belts and valve jobs.

That's almost too funny Tony as my car has been at the dealer for 9 days now waiting for the driveshaft which is backordered! They don't even have an answer for me as to when it will be in! LOL Fortunately for me, I don't really car. I have them fixing all types of little things while it is there and I have their loaner CTS which I already put 500 miles on and I am leaving for Miami in an hour! Add another 600 miles to that 500 miles and that's 1100 miles less on my car! I have them waxing, fixing, aligning etc. They can keep it for as long as they want!

nikon
02-14-07, 11:19 AM
Lindsay Cadillac fixed mine first time while I waited. By the way, the reason the day that a boat owner sells his boat is the happiest is because he's buying a bigger, faster one.

word to that...my 20' wellcraft already does 65knots...I cant wait too see what I get in a couple 5-6 years from now :stirpot:

oh ya, and what about taking it to a different dealer???

svassh
02-14-07, 06:09 PM
Well I can take it to another dealer but out of princpal and the $36K for car plus $1.6K for certification I want these knobs to fix it. And from what I hear of other dealers in Dallas I can expect more of the same anyway. This afternoon they called to tell me the following:

1. My stuck in Michigan Nav issue is a faulty NAV system which they will replace. IDIOTS, I told them its the firmware!
2. My squeeky rear end which just started is a normal characteristic of this car. IDIOTS, I told them to simply lube the TSB bushings.
3. My parking brake whih goes all the way to the floor and won't hold the car on my hilly driveway, once again works that way in al these cars. IDIOTS!!!!

Oh well at least they agree the seatbelt that won't pull out is broken. Jack Asses!!!!!!!!!!!

I emailed Cadillac tonite and will call them tomorrow. In my email I told Cadillac I wanted to lemon the car or get my $1.6K back for the certification. They won't warranty anything now why pay for that to 100K miles?

So much for Mr. Nice guy, scorched earth here I COME.

Seattle CTS-V
02-14-07, 08:12 PM
Give 'em hell. I can't believe these people. How can they look you in the face and tell you that a parking brake that can't hold a car on a small hill is "normal". Why the hell is there a parking brake then if it doesn't do anything?

Kadonny
02-15-07, 09:38 AM
Sorry to hear about your problems. It sounds more like a dealer issue than the car itself.

But a lemon law case usually is only good in the first year of the car.

crazyfast
02-15-07, 12:15 PM
Sorry to hear about all your problems!!

I thought I might let you know that the squeaky bushings might not be the TSB bushings. I have had my car fixed twice and apparently they have to replace some other bushings in the suspension somewhere. The first time, the bulletin told them to replace only the front bushings. A couple months later, it started squeaking again and I took it back. This time they told me that a new bulletin had come out that said to replace all four bushings. I don't think they are the same as the wheel hop bushings...but they might be. At any rate, I am now squeak free. I can look up what they did on the work order tonight if you want. You would then be able to help this dealership walk through doing nothing on this issue....

Aresuu
02-15-07, 01:18 PM
I have two boats and the parking brake sucks on both of them, same as the V! :annoyed:
Is that the right answer?

I think I'll throw about a 15' dock line in the trunk! :yup:

svassh
02-15-07, 02:11 PM
I have two boats and the parking brake sucks on both of them, same as the V! :annoyed:
Is that the right answer?

I think I'll throw about a 15' dock line in the trunk! :yup:

Thats it!

Kadonny
02-15-07, 04:46 PM
I loved my boat and hated to get rid of it. Seriously.

nikon
02-15-07, 04:52 PM
^^^ I'd rather just look at my boat, when you use it you have to actually clean it...oh well

JJKJ
02-15-07, 09:48 PM
^^^ I'd rather just look at my boat, when you use it you have to actually clean it...oh well

Man what I would give to be able to use my boat right now. I've been looking at a clean boat since Oct, and won't get it wet until May at the earliest. :crybaby: I'm ready to wipe it down again. :)

I think the a 3rd happiest day of boat ownership is the first day of the new season. :thumbsup:

John

Aresuu
02-15-07, 11:37 PM
I loved my boat and hated to get rid of it. Seriously.

That's why I have two. One of them is a basically a shelf in the garage, on wheels, but I can't make it go away. I am afraid the V is on the same path to become an emotional asset.

I am going to need a bigger garage! :)

Kadonny
02-16-07, 07:26 AM

True that. I ran in saltwater and pulled it after each day of use. That means mucho cleaning at the end of the day, it sucked hard.

svassh
02-16-07, 02:45 PM
For anyone following the non-aquatic portion of this thread:

My car is back and better than ever! For a while I thought the answer of how many dealer visits it takes to adjust a parking brake was the same as how many licks does it take to get to the tootsie roll center of a tootsiepop.

We'll never know. Actually the answer is 4.

Believe it or not the brake is adjustable and can be adjusted such that you actually feel the pressure building as you push the pedal down. As I think Ewill stated earlier it does still go quite a ways down but there is not a doubt now it will actually hold the car in place even on a small hill.

Also they lubed the TSB bushings and rear differential. The car is quieter and rides better than ever. Not a peep except for the delicious growl of the Magnaflow. I used to hear all sorts of clanks over the top of it. So all you CTS & V owners out there - the creaks and clangs are NOT NORMAL for this car.

Still waiting to hear from Cadillac customer service they emailed yesterday. I still plan to attempt to get a refund for my extended warranty and want my NAV system firmware upgraded (not the whole system yanked). Can you imagine how they would screw up my ashtray mounted AFR guage? :rolleyes:

Peace and Seacrest OUT!

BTW: After I was certain the creaks were gone I did crank out 'STROKE' from my Billy Squire CD in remebrance of Tony Orlando's 2 hour marathon. :worship:

Koooop
02-16-07, 03:35 PM
Neither my boat nor my V spend much time in the shop.

I'll be happy when either one gets sold only because a fresh one will take it's place.

ewill3rd
02-16-07, 07:46 PM
svassh,

I am glad to hear they finally got it all fixed for you.
Some dealers are still on the V learning curve. I know a year or two ago I wouldn't have been so quick to know how to adjust the V parking brake.
I don't think I would have given up as quickly as your local dealer but....

Best of luck to you on the radio update.
It sucks to have to plan all your trips to Michigan!
That was so weird the first time I saw it!

Keep us posted.

G--
02-16-07, 07:56 PM
For anyone following the non-aquatic portion of this thread:

My car is back and better than ever! For a while I thought the answer of how many dealer visits it takes to adjust a parking brake was the same as how many licks does it take to get to the tootsie roll center of a tootsiepop.

We'll never know. Actually the answer is 4.

Believe it or not the brake is adjustable and can be adjusted such that you actually feel the pressure building as you push the pedal down. As I think Ewill stated earlier it does still go quite a ways down but there is not a doubt now it will actually hold the car in place even on a small hill.

Also they lubed the TSB bushings and rear differential. The car is quieter and rides better than ever. Not a peep except for the delicious growl of the Magnaflow. I used to hear all sorts of clanks over the top of it. So all you CTS & V owners out there - the creaks and clangs are NOT NORMAL for this car.

Still waiting to hear from Cadillac customer service they emailed yesterday. I still plan to attempt to get a refund for my extended warranty and want my NAV system firmware upgraded (not the whole system yanked). Can you imagine how they would screw up my ashtray mounted AFR guage? :rolleyes:

Peace and Seacrest OUT!

BTW: After I was certain the creaks were gone I did crank out 'STROKE' from my Billy Squire CD in remebrance of Tony Orlando's 2 hour marathon. :worship:

Good to hear about most of your items (minus the NAV). I have been wanting to get my parking brake adjusted as well, but your experience has made me more than a little nervous about that one.

Ewill...sure you don't want to come to TX (specifically DFW) and enjoy the warm weather? From our experience you'd have plenty of job security and training to do with these knucklehead dealers around here!?!

SVASSH - hope you get out of Michigan and back to TX soon, it's always nice to have a NAV system that acknowledges the street you live on...

ewill3rd
02-17-07, 09:22 AM
I am sure I don't want to live in Texas but I seem to get a lot of invitations.
:D
It is too hot down there for me. I like it cold, the weather we have right now is just fine for me. It is almost too hot in the summer here for me still but that is hard to get away from sometimes.

Lindsay Cadillac
02-17-07, 10:17 AM
Some dealers are still on the V learning curve. I know a year or two ago I wouldn't have been so quick to know how to adjust the V parking brake.
I wonder what happened a couple of years ago... :hmm:

Lindsay Cadillac
02-17-07, 10:19 AM
Ewill...sure you don't want to come to TX (specifically DFW) and enjoy the warm weather? From our experience you'd have plenty of job security and training to do with these knucklehead dealers around here!?!

He's sure he doesn't want to move to Texas... :D

G--
02-17-07, 10:26 AM
I am sure I don't want to live in Texas but I seem to get a lot of invitations.
:D
It is too hot down there for me. I like it cold, the weather we have right now is just fine for me. It is almost too hot in the summer here for me still but that is hard to get away from sometimes.

Ahhh, good answer eWill...:duck:

He's sure he doesn't want to move to Texas... :D

Sorry James, just trying to look out for all of us down here.
Clearly a package deal for both of you guys would be better.:D

ewill3rd
02-17-07, 12:06 PM
It is not easy, even being a good tech, if you work for the wrong people.
Fortunately the Lindsay's and James make a great team to work for.
I must confess they take pretty good care of me. They always make sure I have what I need to do my job.

The other two dealers I worked for in the past were not so hospitable. Granted when I started at the first one I didn't know much but they let me go to school a lot. The second place I worked at they did pretty good but the service manager was kind of a schmo.
Not to kiss any you know what, but I think James and I do work well together.
If I moved to Texas I might have a hard time finding a good shop to work in and a harder time finding a good boss to work for.

That being said.... I do have a friend that works in Gainesville at a place called Brown motors.
I It is a Chevy, GMC, Buick, Pontiac store, but he is probably the only guy I know in Texas that I would trust to refer people to. GM lets us do crossline work and he calls me every now and then for advice on Cadillacs.
If any of you want to make the journey for small stuff that you don't trust other local dealers to do I can talk to him about helping you out. As for major warranty items, since they are a Chevy store it would probably be hard for them to accomodate you. As I said, he's the only guy I know in Texas that I could recommend. I haven't talked to him about it but if any of you are interested I'll run it by him before you go knocking on his door.
He is also a GM Certified World Class Technician, if that matters to anyone. ;)