: 07 EXT Wind Noise!

Dif
02-13-07, 05:56 PM
There have been a few posts about this and there is a GM Bulletin about it.
I just had the Mirror foam installed according to the bulletin but still have wind noise.
It's not as bad and doesn't whistle like it did but still seems to be too much coming from the front doors near the mirrors.

A few people posted they had their weather stripping replaced and put in a different position than it was originally from the Factory.
They said it made the vehicle Very quiet after that was done.
My service manager hasn't heard anything on that issue but I'll be pushing him on it later.

Anyone know if there's a bulletin on the weather stripping issue or not.

LLT
02-13-07, 10:12 PM
There's a bulletin related to the rear liftgate weatherstripping, but nothing else that I've seen -- beyond the foam that is.

I have it too and it is in fact the weatherstripping (at least in my case) as best as I can tell. If you touch the weatherstripping in the right place while at highway speeds, the pitch changes.

Incredibly annoying, but I'm not going to bother since it will be gone soon.

LLT
02-15-07, 05:41 PM
Dif - I changed my mind... I ended up pulling off the window channel molding to find that the dealer didn't properly apply the TSB -- the TSB calls for foam inserted in the mirror, but also the channel weatherstripping to be taped behind the molding. They only inserted the foam.

Corrected and it's very quiet now! Might be worth asking your dealer if they followed the entire TSB or just the foam insert portion.

Kickboxer
02-16-07, 01:21 AM
LLT. Can you please explain the taping that you did in more detail, what gets taped and waht sort of tape etc.

LLT
02-16-07, 02:18 AM
The bulletin is attached below in PDF.

I used duct tape. If you don't have the tools/resources to do this, I'd strongly suggest having the dealer do it - it's very easy to break something.

There's also a new bulletin put out yesterday:

Subject: Roadnoise/Windnoise at Driver or Passenger Front Door Area (Install Filler and/or Reveal Molding) #07-08-58-001 - (02/14/2007)

Models: 2007 Cadillac Escalade, Escalade ESV, Escalade EXT

Condition

Some customers may comment on roadnoise or windnoise in the driver or passenger door area.
Cause

Air may be rushing in one of the following areas:
• The mirrors
• Door filler
• The reveal molding clips may not be properly seating into the door frame.
• The seal around the reveal molding may have moved and is not sealing properly.
Correction

1. Remove the upper extension trim panel (mirror extension trim panel). If the mirror foam filler is missing, install using the part number below.
2. Remove the inner window garnish molding. Refer to Front Side Door Opening Frame Garnish Molding Replacement in SI if necessary.
3. Remove the door trim panel. Refer to Front Side Door Trim Panel Replacement in SI if necessary.
4. Remove the inner door window sealing strip (door glass belt strip).
5. Remove the mirror. Refer to Mirror Housing in SI if necessary.

Important: Install duct tape on the door to avoid damaging the paint when removing the molding.
6. Remove the outer door glass reveal molding. If the foam seal around the reveal molding is out of position as seen in illustration above, replace the reveal molding . If reusing the reveal molding, it is necessary to discard the old clips and use new ones.

Important: If having difficulty lining up the reveal molding clips, you may have to loosen the door glass run channel fasteners.
7. Install the outer reveal molding. Start at the front of the door and work back. Use a small pick tool or screwdriver to ensure the engagement of the clip to the door frame. The clip has two small barbs, one at each side, that when installed properly, you will hear a snap sound.

Tighten
Tighten the fasteners to 4.6 N·m (41 lb in).
8. Before installing the mirror, add a piece foam to the mirror gasket and tape up the hole in the seal where the wire harness passes though as seen in the illustration above. Use the WPC form below to get the two piece of foam that is needed for the mirror repair.
9. Install the mirror. Push up and rotate toward the A pillar to ensure a tight seal to the door and tighten the nuts.

Tighten
Tighten the three nuts to 9 N·m (80 lb in).
10. Install the inner door window sealing strip (door glass belt strip).
11. Install the door trim panel. Refer to Front Side Door Trim Panel Replacement in SI if necessary.
12. Install the inner garnish molding. Refer to Front Side Door Opening Frame Garnish Molding Replacement in SI if necessary.
13. Install the mirror filler.
14. Install the upper extension trim panel (mirror extension trim panel).

If windnoise is still detected after performing this bulletin, refer to PIT4172 (SI Document ID #1870968) to adjust the doors.

Definitely have the dealer (BODY shop, not service department) do that one if you still have the wind noise.

hcvone
02-16-07, 07:56 AM
No problems with mine but thanks for posting this info. :)

Dif
02-16-07, 01:11 PM
Dif - I changed my mind... I ended up pulling off the window channel molding to find that the dealer didn't properly apply the TSB -- the TSB calls for foam inserted in the mirror, but also the channel weatherstripping to be taped behind the molding. They only inserted the foam.

Corrected and it's very quiet now! Might be worth asking your dealer if they followed the entire TSB or just the foam insert portion.

Great info LLT, and Many Thanks for the PDF on the Bulletin.
Just what I was looking for.
I can see the foam they installed in my mirrors but as you mention, they probably didn't follow this bulletin according to the newest update :thumbsup:
I'll be contacting the dealer again on it.
Thanks again.
Regards.. Frank

07Lambert
02-16-07, 01:12 PM
Thank you for posting this info, My dealer can't seem to find the problem and i'm tired of it already. :thepan:

claykehrer
02-19-07, 02:18 PM
My 07 ext is twice as noisey at 80mph than my dad 02 suburban. You said this is the latest bulletin, how many are there total?

viper612
02-19-07, 06:14 PM
I have been to my dealer 3 times to resolve this issue, first time they fixed the molding around the glass, from what I understand Cadillac had an issue during construction that caused the glass/molding to be mis-aligned. Still terrible noise.

Second time, they installed the kit per the service bulleting. Slightly better.

Third time, they adjusted the door slightly, seemed to help for a few miles, than the noise returned.

Took a new one off the lot and it had terrible wind noise as well.

Is this just a design flaw on these trucks? BTW, the Lexus GX470 I bought on the same day for my wife is as quiet as can be.

Very frustrated, any thoughts/ideas worth pursing?

Thanks.

Kickboxer
02-20-07, 11:43 AM
Thanks LLT! I think mine is coming from the door to body seal at the upper front A piller arear but I will make sure the window trim is taped up first. If that doesn't work, I think I'll loosen the door hing and make it tilt in slightly more at the top of the door to make a firmer seal.

Dif
02-20-07, 12:11 PM
Thanks LLT! I think mine is coming from the door to body seal at the upper front A piller arear but I will make sure the window trim is taped up first. If that doesn't work, I think I'll loosen the door hing and make it tilt in slightly more at the top of the door to make a firmer seal.
Yeah I've been looking at all my doors, rear window and midgate seals.
I'm finding that there are spots you can see where the rubber weather stripping does Not have an impression from the door etc as looks like it is not contacting it enough to seal properly.
I'm tinkering with some stick on weather stripping to see if it helps to pin point or help the problem before I go back to the dealer.

On another note:
I talked with the dealer telling them it hasn't been solved and realized they're not quite on top of the issue if you don't stress everything that needs to be done.
They will just do only what you mention .. (as in my case I told them about the mirror bulletin )... and don't go through everything it could possibly be... such as the window trim etc.
Will not be going back till next week maybe but will post any results.

Dif
03-02-07, 03:47 PM
Just an update to help anyone still having wind noise issues.
I still have a Lot of wind noise with my 07 EXT since they did the Mirror bulletin fix but haven't had time to bring it back to the dealer.
I'm looking the truck over everyday and trying a few things.

Put some sticky weather stripping on all the doors.. not much difference.

Found that the Mid-Gate needed a good hard closing to shut firm and tight.
Before that it would latch but seemed loose and not sealed.
Operator error. :bigroll:

Now,.. the other night I had to go out about 2 in the morning and remote started the EXT and it was really quiet outside.
The heater was running with the doors shut ( as from remote start ) and as I walked past it from the rear to get in....
I hear all this whistling noise coming from the rear door right where the bottom of the window meets the outside Chrome molding.
Lots of air rushing out from inside the cabin.
Now I know there has to be a outlet for air to get out of the cabin but this was a lot of air leaving and a noticable whistling.
On further inspection there are multiple points where the air is rushing out of the cabin through various points such as the door handles and the seams where the door edges close and meets the body.
Way too many areas of air escaping the vehicle.
Will update again when I eventually go to the dealer again.

hcvone
03-02-07, 04:27 PM
I was riding in an 07' EXT today, there is way more wind noise that I have even with my new exhaust. Let us know when you take yours back to get it corrected how the fix is. :)

zx6racer
03-02-07, 10:53 PM
My dealer cant find anything wrong with mine. I also have fog in my headlights.

Dif
03-03-07, 12:47 AM
Do a search for EXT wind noise and you'll find a few different threads/posts on this board about it and..
some of the posts have all the GM Bulletins about the various problems and fixes for wind noise.
It's a known problem and some of the guys here have had it fixed.
I had to bring the info to my dealer and show them before they even knew about it.
LLT posted a Lot of info and Bulletin #'s in some of the posts.. and also .. some of the earlier posts in "this" thread.
As for fog in the headlights.
I had some the first day I brought mine home and mentioned it to the dealer.
They said if it doesn't go away they'll replace the headlight units ..
but..
I haven't had any fog since that first day.

hcvone
03-03-07, 06:50 AM

As said they should replace your headlight assy if it does not go away, look on the first page of this thread, there is a repair process for the wind problem.

zx6racer
03-03-07, 07:23 AM
The fog comes and goes. Im gonna bring my laptop to the dealer and show them he bulletins online.

Dif
03-16-07, 01:49 AM
Since I put weather strip on the doors and got rid of some of the wind noise I brought the Ext to the dealer to address the issue further and took a test drive with the service manager to explain more in detail and show what the noise was really like from the mirror area.
Also tried to find out if they did the Complete Mirror bulletin or just the piece of foam the first time I brought it in.
He didn't know.
He agreed the wind noise is now coming from the glass to door seal and not the door seal to body/weather stripping.
Haven't brought it back yet for them to take time with it but...
back at home I popped off the triangle shaped pastic trim inside the door directly where the mirrors mount... just a little prying with my hands and it pops off fairly easy and pops right back on. Only one clip holding it on.
I saw that they only stuck the foam in there on both mirrors and not too good at that.
All bunched up and not evenly placed.
I took it out and saw that they never put any tape around the hole where the wires go through to the mirror.
Also tried to get the inside trim off that goes around the window opening.
More tricky though and didn't want to break it so left it alone for now.
I taped up the hole the wires go through to the mirrors from the inside with cloth duct tape and replaced the foam so it was even and covered everything this time.
Also banged all along the window trim with my hand to make sure the clips were seated good.
Put the triangle trim piece back on and went for a test drive.
Now with the tape sealing the mirror wire holes .. 85-90 % of the wind noise is gone and the weird thing is sometimes, even at 80-85 mph there's no noise at all except the outside wind against the vehicle.
Also noticed what little noise that is there is not coming from the mirror area any more.
Now there's just a little noise from the upper rear corner and top of the driver and passenger windows itself.
Not at 100% yet but we're getting there and it a huge improvement over the way it was.
Some tape underneath the window trim as instructed in the bulletin should do the trick.

Dif
04-02-07, 05:57 PM
Had enough of working on my EXT to try and solve the wind noise and dropped it off at the Dealer for the week to let them fix it,. or try anyway.
Also I told them if it can't be fixed I want to know my options for getting another one.
The Manager was real good about it though and advised me to start a log file with GM Cadillac Customer Service so they can document everything and stay in contact with the Dealer to help either straighten it out or get something going on a replacement if need be.
While I was there, I drove another 07 EXT on the lot with a build date of November.
It had the Same wind noise,.. if not worse :bigroll: and completely different shaped/firmer weather stripping around the doors.

LLT
04-02-07, 06:55 PM
Just so you know, I received my replacement unit (which was built only a few weeks ago.) While quieter, it still has wind noise. I don't believe wind is actually entering the vehicle, I believe it's just poorly constructed and insulated and the noise I (and likely you as well) am hearing is the turbulence from the mirrors whooshing around the windows, pillars, etc. If it were better insulated, you would hear less if any wind noise.

I went and drove 6 other Escalades on the lot - all varying build dates - and every single one of them had "wind noise" at ~60mph+. It's pretty disappointing.

Dif
04-02-07, 09:13 PM
Just so you know, I received my replacement unit (which was built only a few weeks ago.) While quieter, it still has wind noise. I don't believe wind is actually entering the vehicle, I believe it's just poorly constructed and insulated and the noise I (and likely you as well) am hearing is the turbulence from the mirrors whooshing around the windows, pillars, etc. If it were better insulated, you would hear less if any wind noise.

I went and drove 6 other Escalades on the lot - all varying build dates - and every single one of them had "wind noise" at ~60mph+. It's pretty disappointing.
Hi LLT, I think you hit the nail on the head and wow,.. you tried out 6 vehicles and they all had wind noise :eek:
When I see people post theirs was fixed and really quiet, I wanted to believe that was the case,... but I'm starting to think it's just different interpretations of what is quiet and what is not.
When you say
" If it were better insulated, you would hear less if any wind noise. "
I'm really starting to think that is the problem.

I'm a little hard of hearing but hear the littlest noises from outside the vehicle, not related to wind etc,.. like other cars and such,... as if a window was open.
I'm keeping my fingers crossed and I'll update when I get mine back.

Playdrv4me
04-02-07, 09:43 PM
I'm starting to think it's just different interpretations of what is quiet and what is not.

Bingo.

LLT
04-03-07, 12:47 AM
They're all insulated the same way - those who say they don't have wind noise just have different expectations, as you say. Here's a test: turn your radio on at a normal volume, get out, close your doors and listen. You'll hear just how poorly insulated the 07 slade is.

At least in my case, wind is no longer entering the vehicle. You're simply hearing it whip against the side of the vehicle, in and around the mirror, etc.

Kickboxer
04-03-07, 02:53 AM
Not sure about others but I have a Range Rover HSE and MB CLS so I know what quiet is. The steps I've taken to silicone, tape the mirror wire openings and reposition the doors on their hinges has eliminated most of my wind noise.

Of course I still have it on a very windy day while going head on into the wind at 70-80 mph but I have that in my other rides too. Don't waste your time with your dealer, do it yourself, nobody will take the time or care to fix something as thorough as you will.

Dif
04-03-07, 03:39 AM
Of course I still have it on a very windy day while going head on into the wind at 70-80 mph but I have that in my other rides too. Don't waste your time with your dealer, do it yourself, nobody will take the time or care to fix something as thorough as you will.
I just came to the same conclusion.
Just did a Google search for the wind noise and linked onto the 07 Avalanche forum....
EVERYBODY over there has the same wind noise issue with their 07's... :eek:
Think I'll pick up mine from the dealer and go back to tinkering with it myself. :alchi:

TOM K
04-03-07, 12:51 PM
I've had mine back a couple times had the mods done no change, taped off every place and removed a bit at a time . found out if you swing the mirrors in about halfway the noise stops, however you can't drive around with the mirrors half in. It is a design flaw , the 07 trucks, Avalanches with the same doors and mirrors do the same??? well GM what now

Dif
04-03-07, 12:57 PM
I just came to the same conclusion.
Just did a Google search for the wind noise and linked onto the 07 Avalanche forum....
EVERYBODY over there has the same wind noise issue with their 07's... :eek:
Think I'll pick up mine from the dealer and go back to tinkering with it myself. :alchi:
Well,... I called the dealer and was going to tell them I wanted to simply take back my 07 EXT since I've read so many people are having the wind noise issue that I figured it can't be fixed all that well.
Before I could say anything they told me they've been working on it all morning and have one side all taken care of.
:jawdrop:
I said aaahh,..OK, let me know when everything is done.
My fingers are still crossed and we shall see.

Dif
04-03-07, 03:38 PM
Just picked up my EXT from the dealer and a gave it a good test drive to check wind noise.
They adjusted the weather stripping and aligned the doors.
I can see and feel the difference when I close the doors.
Slightly harder to close, where before they would close with no effort at all.
There's also less outside noise coming in with the doors aligned better.
It's an improvement, but there's still some wind noise at 70-80 but not as much .. and hardly any at lower speeds 60-65.

But, I think we're going to have to live with the wind noise even if it is only at the higher speeds.
If I had to say what is the one outstanding thing causing the noise itself...
it's the design of the mirrors.
The wind just makes a lot of noise passing over them.
I think a few others mentioned that. :rolleyes:

docmartin9
11-02-07, 01:31 PM
I had the dealer put the foam kit in the mirror but there was no change. Based on past experience with this dealer I'm betting that he didn't do it right.

I want to check it. How do I remove the cover? Do I just pry off the platic cover on the inside of the door? Is there some release?

I don't want to break it.

Thanks,

Andrew

Dif
11-02-07, 01:48 PM
I had the dealer put the foam kit in the mirror but there was no change. Based on past experience with this dealer I'm betting that he didn't do it right.

I want to check it. How do I remove the cover? Do I just pry off the platic cover on the inside of the door? Is there some release?

I don't want to break it.

Thanks,

Andrew
Yeah you can just pop off the triangle shaped plastic cover on the inside,.. it has clip hooks molded to the cover itself. Will pop right back on too.
You'll see right inside where the mirror is connected and the wires go through a hole to the mirror.
Besides putting in the foam,... the hole the wires go through should be all taped up to seal the hole. Duct tape or something similar.
Also, make sure the foam is inserted neatly and laid out flat.
When they did mine they just stuffed it in haphazard and it was bunched up like a ball.. no use at all.
Ended up doing all myself.
Have to tell you though the foam and tape to the mirrors did not help my wind noise.
Aligning the front doors did help, but not totally.
Good luck with yours.