: 94 STS Where is my egr valve!

MichSTS
03-18-04, 01:06 AM
My car is running rough so I'm trying to clean my egr valve. I have my silver cover off the top of the motor. I have pulled the plate up enough to dislodge the fuel injectors & to look underneath but am not sure where or what the valve looks like. Is it the round metal that plugs into the small black snap in box with the wires? If so, how does it come out? I have read the 2 pages or posts from the CLEANING MY EGR VALVE MYSELF with the 95 northstar. Is the 94 setup the same.

I also show a code p046 left right fueling difference & wonder if anyone knows what I could do to fix that. The milage is way down. Normally 15.5 avg, now 13.3 around town. I have ran a can of bg 44 through it.

Thanks in advance. I've learned a ton on this site already just by spending many hours reading the posts. Extracting the codes was one.

John

Ralph
03-18-04, 01:40 AM
With the cover off, and facing the engine from the front of the car,it's is the round valve on the left corner above the intake manifold, nearest you, that connects to the EGR valve pipe. The EGR valve pipe (small in diameter) connects to the large crossover exhaust pipe. Sorry, this is as good as my Chiltons is, until a more knowledgable person like Bob can get here. ;)

Supposedly, for later model engines, "The Northstar system uses the crossover waterpump housing as a cross-flow heat exchanger to cool exhaust gases in large easily cleaned passages to virtually elinminate any concern with deposit accumulation during the entire service life of the car."

MichSTS
03-18-04, 11:35 AM
With the cover off, and facing the engine from the front of the car,it's is the round valve on the left corner above the intake manifold, nearest you, that connects to the EGR valve pipe. The EGR valve pipe (small in diameter) connects to the large crossover exhaust pipe. Sorry, this is as good as my Chiltons is, until a more knowledgable person like Bob can get here. ;)

Supposedly, for later model engines, "The Northstar system uses the crossover waterpump housing as a cross-flow heat exchanger to cool exhaust gases in large easily cleaned passages to virtually elinminate any concern with deposit accumulation during the entire service life of the car."

Thanks for the reply!! I took today off to get this done & I still need help.
When standing in front of the car, looking at the engine, the only round looking valve is to my right & rear side of the manifold. This is the left side of the car by definition though. This metal valve,1 inch in diameter ,has a small tube coming up & goes over a slightly larger tube going down. There is a 1/2 inch black tube connected going to the injectores as well under that black plate. If this is the EGR than I cant figure out how to get it off. I have the cleaning proceedure for when I get it out. No chemicals up the shaft.:hmm:

Thanks in advance again John

PS I want to meet Natasha :bouncy:

MichSTS
03-18-04, 01:56 PM
Thanks for the reply!! I took today off to get this done & I still need help.
When standing in front of the car, looking at the engine, the only round looking valve is to my right & rear side of the manifold. This is the left side of the car by definition though. This metal valve,1 inch in diameter ,has a small tube coming up & goes over a slightly larger tube going down. There is a 1/2 inch black tube connected going to the injectores as well under that black plate. If this is the EGR than I cant figure out how to get it off. I have the cleaning proceedure for when I get it out. No chemicals up the shaft.:hmm:

Thanks in advance again John

PS I want to meet Natasha :bouncy:
Found this on caddyinfo archives. Now I'm in business. Thanks Bob

Posted By:bbobynski (bbobynski@hotmail.com)Subject:RE: Where is the EGR locatedDate:2/10/2003 10:48:37 PMCadillac: 2003 deville

The EGR valve is in the same basic location for all Northstar engines. It is located at the right rear of the engine....which is on the drivers side of the engine compartment near the firewall. Look just in front of the brake master cylinder and beside it toward the center of the engine compartment. The EGR valve is an electronically controlled device (controlled by the PCM). It is a can about 3 inches in diameter and 4 inches long standing on end with a group of wires coming out of the end of the can. It mounts to the water crossover casting on the rear of the engine with two bolts thru the bottom flange.

***---REPLIED TO MESSAGE BELOW---***
Hi All you experts out there. Where can I find the EGR? I read that the EGR for a 2003 is besides the brake master cylinder, driver side near the firewall. I checked there and I cannot find it. Therefore, I assume that for the 1994 they put it in a different place. Also what does it look like?

Thanks for your help

akaz87
03-18-04, 10:38 PM
The EGR valve is right next to the throttle body on the back. Its a little small circular bugger. If its idling rough it sounds like it might be a air leak. Its not really offten that I've seen that the EGR goes bad. Oh yea, by the way you get it off with 2 bolts, I think they are 10mm, but I am probly wrong.

MichSTS
03-18-04, 11:34 PM
I got the egr valve clean. While I was at it I took out my phenolic spacers, cleaned about 6 ounces of black crud from the channels in the top of the head, the phenolic spacers & the milled slots in each port with a screw driver & shop vac. I also cleaned the inside of the throttle body & my K& M air cleaner while I was at it.
I lost a screw for the throttle body & will have to wait till tomorrow to test it.
Cant wait.

John

BeelzeBob
03-19-04, 11:56 AM
Search the archives for "fuel pressure regulator" and check yours.... more likely that is the source of the rough idle as opposed to the EGR...although cleaning the EGR and the phenolic spacers is a very good idea.

The 93/94 Northstars are different from the 95 and later.... The 93/94 engines had the intake manifold which uses the silver top cover as part of the intake....it is actually the top cover of the intake. The fuel pressure regulator is inside the intake. Take the cover off and find the little canister shaped device on the fuel rail on the t'body end. Have some one turn the key on to charge the fuel system while you watch the vacuum nipple on the FPR for fuel leakage...there should be none at all. Don't start the engine with the top cover off...just turn on the key to run the fuel pump.

The EGR valve is located outside of the intake manifold. It is on the water crossover casting at the rear of the engine. It is secured with stud headed bolts. Take the nuts off, take the associated brackets off the studs and then take the bolts out.

BeelzeBob
03-19-04, 11:59 AM

Ralph...no offense....but...ditch that Chiltons manual.... It is worse than useless..it is misleading and has many errors in it. Pitch it and get a factory manual for your car....the one published by Helms. It has FAR more info than the Chiltons or Haynes manuals, it has the correct information and it covers all the systems on the car as well as the onboard diagnostics. Chiltons manuals are way too "universal" to be an accurate reference source. Use it for a door stop or kindling.....LOL

MichSTS
03-19-04, 03:01 PM
Search the archives for "fuel pressure regulator" and check yours.... more likely that is the source of the rough idle as opposed to the EGR...although cleaning the EGR and the phenolic spacers is a very good idea.

The 93/94 Northstars are different from the 95 and later.... The 93/94 engines had the intake manifold which uses the silver top cover as part of the intake....it is actually the top cover of the intake. The fuel pressure regulator is inside the intake. Take the cover off and find the little canister shaped device on the fuel rail on the t'body end. Have some one turn the key on to charge the fuel system while you watch the vacuum nipple on the FPR for fuel leakage...there should be none at all. Don't start the engine with the top cover off...just turn on the key to run the fuel pump.

The EGR valve is located outside of the intake manifold. It is on the water crossover casting at the rear of the engine. It is secured with stud headed bolts. Take the nuts off, take the associated brackets off the studs and then take the bolts out.
Bob, I SAW THE canister while I had the cover off.

MichSTS
03-19-04, 03:02 PM
Bob, I SAW THE canister while I had the cover off.
Meant to say Thanks Bob