: Couldn't remove the key!

Permnico
02-12-07, 09:54 AM
Interesting occurence. Sunday, parked at my 2005 N* in the church parking lot, ignition off, key wouldn't come out. Restarted car, shifted to Drive and back to Park, still, key wouldn't come out. Too much to drink last night? Not a drop!
Ouch! Key stuck AND Accessory power remains "on". Well, can't just leave the car like this, even in church.
Back home in the garage, checked the idiots and diags on the touch screen. Hmmm ...transmission fluid life 0%, little tranny light on he dash just came on...Man-oh-man, never saw this one in the forum.
Sunday, no dealer service today, can't leave the car "on" and drawing power. Don't even want to think about leaving the engine idling for the next 24 hours...
Hmmm...easy. Disco the battery... but what about all the hi tech electronics & computers in my fully loaded N*...Well, what choice? Man-oh-man...
OK battery disconnected, whew...wait, what happens when I hook it back up?
Hey, 93% tranny fluid life left. Start car, Park to Drive to Park, shut off...key comes out!
Horray!!
The only thing that seems to be wrong after is little adventure is that my individual tire pressure sensors now all read 0 psi. I can live with this until I go for my next oil change. Anyone know if I may have screwed anything else up?
Thanks...good forum, good ideas, good car!

donjumpsuit
02-12-07, 11:51 AM
this happened to me, and to the best of my knowledge HAS been talked about before in this fourm. For me, my battery died because an accessory was plugged in for an extended leave of absense. I tried to start the car, and it promptly died on me, without letting me take the key out. I didn't even shift it into gear. Unhooking, and then rehooking the battery allowed for a system reset, and allowed me to remove the key.
As far as the disconnect is concerned, any information stored in the computer about why you key got stuck in the first place, is now gone, because of the battery disconnect, so taking it to the dealer is not going to help. You many need to reset your tire pressure sensors, although mine didn't have this occur, yours might. In fact by the time I write this message, they may be working again (after a few on/off car cycles). If not you can wait to service it, or follow the manual on how to do it. (i think it is turn the key on and off 3 times, put it into accessory mode, then let >10psi out of each tire, as it notifies you. I would wait to get it to the dealer on the next oil change.

MortnCyn
02-12-07, 12:14 PM
Steering Column Ignition Lock Release

If your vehicle has a dead battery or a battery with
low voltage, you can still release the ignition lock and
remove the key. Use the following procedure to release
the steering column:
1. Locate the plastic screw head on the underside of
the plastic cover for the steering column.
2. Insert a flat, thin object into the slot and turn it
until the plastic piece detaches from the steering
column cover.
3. Insert a narrow, pointed object into the hole in the
steering column cover and press the spring.
4. Then, turn the ignition switch to OFF and remove
the key.

Permnico
02-12-07, 12:43 PM
Thanks, guys. Maybe I wasn't clear. No problem with the battery. There seems to have been a problem with the transmission or electronics between the tranny and the ignition key. Specifically, the ignition (key) wasn't getting the signal from the tranny that the car was in Park. I'm pretty sure this relates to the tranny fluid life =0% and the tranny idiot light ighting prior to my resetting all the onboards by disconeccting the battery.
Like Don said, I may never know since the diag codes probably all got lost when I interrupted power, but what the heck, it beats the alternative...
Hopefully, if it should happens again, it'll be on a M-F between 7:30 and 5PM so I can ask a tech to take a look...

wifescaddy
02-12-07, 01:39 PM
Like mortyn posted just under the steering column theres a hole in the plastic cover there insert a small object into it and itll let you turn the key back and remove,its a saftey feature built in just case of this problem.

omarchavezmcse
04-20-08, 06:59 PM
wifescaddy is right, pressing the hole under the steering column does allow you to release the key, but each time you put the key in you'll have to push the hole in order to get the key out. My problem started with a dead battery, I replaced the battery with a brand-new one and now the key is stuck and must be released manually, also the Traction Control and Theft Prevention lights are on which probably indicates that I wiped out some settings while unplugging the old battery and installing the new one. Anybody knows how to re-program or re-set the whole thing so it works as expected? (I've tried unplugging the battery and replugging it immediately, unplugging and waiting for 10 minutes, 20 minutes and 30 minutes before replugging it and leaving battery disconnected overnight, then connecting it; but nothing works and I live hundreds of miles away from a Cadillac dealership so any help or ideas will be greatly appreciated).f

Superjim
04-21-08, 12:49 AM
wifescaddy is right, pressing the hole under the steering column does allow you to release the key, but each time you put the key in you'll have to push the hole in order to get the key out. My problem started with a dead battery, I replaced the battery with a brand-new one and now the key is stuck and must be released manually, also the Traction Control and Theft Prevention lights are on which probably indicates that I wiped out some settings while unplugging the old battery and installing the new one. Anybody knows how to re-program or re-set the whole thing so it works as expected? (I've tried unplugging the battery and replugging it immediately, unplugging and waiting for 10 minutes, 20 minutes and 30 minutes before replugging it and leaving battery disconnected overnight, then connecting it; but nothing works and I live hundreds of miles away from a Cadillac dealership so any help or ideas will be greatly appreciated).f

Try dosconnecting BOTH BATTERY CABLES.
After disconnecting them... touch them together for a few seconds to discharge the residual voltage from the capacitors.

Then reconnect the cables...positive first... then the negative.

Texas Jim

TSS
04-21-08, 10:36 AM
This whole thing sounds like a hoax to me. Trying to tell your Pastor that you tried to go to Church, but your car wouldn't let you? :tisk:

Come on. (J/K) :)

Cadillac Tony
04-23-08, 10:45 AM
This problem is usually fixed by adjusting the shift lever assembly underneath the vehicle. Even though you are in Park, if the lever doesn't move far enough forward to trigger the release for the key then it won't come out. Warranty will cover it.

I've seen a few do this.

cadillacroadside
04-29-08, 02:22 PM
if you a few wacky things going on and certain things started working afterwards by disconnectiong the battery, there is an issue with these vehicles called logic lock, the same way your home pc locks your vehicle can do the same, by disconnecting the battery you rebooted the system per say

The Wrench
05-02-08, 06:24 PM
Along that line..... my key didn't seem to slide in/out real easy, so I decided to lube it a bit the other day. I slopped a bit of graphite lube on it and inserted and turned it several times. Suddenly, it wouldn't turn on the car anymore! I guess the computer thought a thief was at work on it, and locked it up. I waited a few minutes, hit the remote lock/unlock, and it healed.

Having had a career in the electronics world, I remember the story someone told about the ever-increasing complexity, ever-decreasing cost curve of semiconductors.

"If cars followed the same performance/cost curve as semiconductor devices, a Lexus would cost $100, go 600 MPH, and get 500 miles/gallon.
You would never fiix or trade them, just throw them away after a year or two.
If you got a new one, all the controls would be in totally different places.
After a year, you could not find tires that fit, and gas stations nozzles would't go in the filler cap either.
Sometimes, the car would just die for no reason, but you could just wait a bit, and it would crank back up."

DG