: Synthetic oil in '06 V-6

icemn21
02-11-07, 09:00 PM
While shopping for a used SRX, I noticed the '05's required synthetic (Mobil 1), but the '06 doesn't specifically call out synthetic in the owner's manual (the V8's do, however). We wound up with an 06, but I plan on putting in Mobil 1 anyway.

My question is - Does anyone know a way I can get the oil life calculator to know I have serviced my car with synthetic so it can properly account for the much longer life of the synthetc oil?
THANKS!

n7don_srx
02-12-07, 06:43 AM
The short answer is No. If using synthetic oil were to reduce operating temperature, for example, it would be reflected in a longer interval. If you never have gone by the OLM change intervals, it will scare you. My Envoy (w/7qt fill) will still be at 50% life at 6000 miles. Our 07 SRX V6 has the Mobil 1 cap filler cap and requires oil meeting GM4718M. Suprised the 06 doesn't specify GM4718M too, which I believe is synthetic.
Here's a link with a good discussion on GM's OLM:
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/northstar-performance-technical-discussion/98446-change-oil-3k-when-comp-says.html

MortnCyn
02-12-07, 08:02 AM
Do not know about the '06 but the '04 witout NAV was as follows.
Reset Oil Life 2004-06 SRX
Base Audio System
Press the CLR button on the right of the DIC display to acknowledge the Change Engine Oil message. This will clear the message from the display and reset it. To reset the oil life indicator, use the following steps.
1. Press the up or down arrow on the INFO button located to the right of the DIC display to access the DIC menu.
2. Once XXX% ENGINE OIL LIFE menu item is highlighted, press and hold the CLR button. The percentage will return to 100, and the oil life indicator will be reset.
3. Turn the key to OFF.

If the Change Engine Oil message comes back when you start the vehicle, or the percentage does not return to 100, the engine oil life system has not reset. Repeat the procedure.

robhersch
02-12-07, 11:26 PM
FYI - An acquaintance who earns his living as an independent who services many trucks having both gas and diesel engines notes that his experience suggests that full synthetic oils have reduced engine sludge significantly when compared with premium non-syn oils; he is now experimenting with doubling the synthetic oil change interval but still changing the oil filters at the regular times. He also suggests that both push rod engines and VVT engines generally suffer from sludge buildup when using regular oils, but he sees much less sludge when using full synthetics.
He also recommended that I change my 1999 Deville Concours N*V8 no VVT from gtx 10-30 to Mobil 1 full synthetic 10-30, which I did. Results TBD.

King3244
02-14-07, 10:19 PM
Synthetic does not have a longer life!

MortnCyn
02-15-07, 08:12 AM
Synthetic does not have a longer life!
Yes it does. Disregarding extreme operating conditions (dirty intake air etc.), synthetic oils are formulated to perform for longer intervals at a given temperature and do not break down as fast as regular oils at temperatures that are above normal operating temperatures. This is true whether in industrial equipment or in an automobile.

robhersch
02-15-07, 09:56 PM
Yes it does. Disregarding extreme operating conditions (dirty intake air etc.), synthetic oils are formulated to perform for longer intervals at a given temperature and do not break down as fast as regular oils at temperatures that are above normal operating temperatures. This is true whether in industrial equipment or in an automobile.

Published research data seem to back up Mort and synthetic oil superiority; try the following for a 132 page book available as a free pdf download:
http://www.motor-oil-engineers.com/?OVRAW=Synthetic%20motor%20oil&OVKEY=synthetic%20motor%20oil&OVMTC=standard