: Buyers remorse

CrzyScrMOM
02-11-07, 06:27 PM
We just purchased a used 2004 V8 AWD SRX and I'm feeling like we made a mistake. We did alot of research on the vehicle and were sure that it was the one for us. However, once my husband got it home, that is when we started noticing things wrong with it. First, after driving it around town for 15 minutes, the check engine light came on. Next, we can't fold down the third seat, all we get is a beeping noise. At first we thought that maybe we were doing something wrong, but after reading the owner's manual and following it step by step, it still does not work. Some of the other things we noticed is that the washer fluid doesn't come out of the rear wiper, the floorboard behind the passenger seat as well as the jack storage compartment is wet, and the sunroof vibrates just before closing. We would contact the dealer that we bought it from, but he is in Ohio and we are in Maryland. We are planning on taking it to our local Cadillac dealer to get it fixed since it is still under warranty, but I am feeling like we are just going to have one problem after the next. If you have any suggestions or have had any of the same problems, please let me know.

robhersch
02-11-07, 07:16 PM
Hope you did research on the vehicle's history before purchasing and got the GM/Cad certified warranty. I notice that many 2004 SRXs were "driven hard" and perhaps not serviced properly. Wish you good luck, and hope that your dealer can help with vehicle and mfgr problems. Please do not blame either for driver or service abuse.

CrzyScrMOM
02-11-07, 07:31 PM
Thanks for writing. We did get a warranty as well as a vehicle history report and nothing came up negative. There was only one owner and the vehicle has low miles so we figured it would be a good deal. I love everything else about the vehicle. Hopefully we will be able to get running smoothly soon. :)

TSS
02-11-07, 07:43 PM
Are you serious ? Did you drive the car and test the features for 15 minutes before you bought it? If so, you would have discovered most of the items you complain of. Don't blame the car or the SRX line for your own lack of proper investigation .

louisn
02-11-07, 07:47 PM
The wiper problem and the wetness in the jack area in the back are common. Do a search. Don't forget to try to get them replace anything thta was wet after they fix the jack area. Our 2004 AWD N V-8 had been a great car so far. Don't have the roof or 3rd row seats so i'm no help. Good Luck!! As long as it's under warranty, just get her fixed. It's a great vehicle.:bouncy:

CrzyScrMOM
02-11-07, 08:26 PM
We are not blaming anyone for the things that we have encountered, just looking to see if anyone else has had similar issues and any suggestions of how to fix them. Thanks for the feedback. On the whole, we really do love the car. And for the features that it has and what we paid for it, I would say we got one hell of a deal. I just was wondering how we were supposed to know that the check engine light was going to come on, and that the floor was wet. We did drive the car and go over it, but I guess we did forget to crawl around in it.

wifescaddy
02-11-07, 08:28 PM
My third row seat takes a few times to get it to go up. We wont be using it much so it doesnt bother me.

SM73
02-11-07, 08:31 PM
Our 2004 SRX came standard with the wet floor in the jack area. Dealer traced it to a bad seal around the high brake light. He had to break the light housing to get it off. Once fixed, it hasn't leaked since. From other forums, this looks like a common problem.
Hope your SRX is better than ours. Not to scare you, but we've had a lot of problems with ours. Be ready for the rear window regulators and CD player to fail. That's only the tip of the iceburg of problems we've had. I wouldn't buy another one.

billjesnen
02-11-07, 09:24 PM
I just bought a new '06, and had problems with both the rear windshield washer and the sunroof, among a few other things. My dealer was able to fix them all, with the windshield washer just needing a new nozzle (although if you do a search on these excellent forums you will find a number of possible causes for it not to work), and the sunroof needed lubrication in order for it to close properly. I felt the same kind of remorse after buying it new and having problems, but the dealer was able to fix the stuff, and now after three weeks I feel much better about the car. While you have a few more things wrong, your local dealer should be able to diagnose the check engine light (which can be as simple as you didn't turn the gas cap tightly several turns after refueling, to more serious issues.. they have to look at the codes).

Good luck, and you should be able to get these issues resolved. Search the forum on the water in the jack area, and you will get some good tips from other folks on different causes for the water problem. You can then print that stuff out, and ask your dealer if they can fix it with all those tips on possible causes in mind. If your purchase price was low, chalk this up to something like sweat equity, after you spend the time getting it fixed under warranty, you will have a wonderful sporty crossover.
Bill

john d
02-11-07, 11:37 PM
Two things:
1. It's been reported that the washer bottle supplies both front and rear nozzles.
It's also been reported that the rear washer pump intake is mounted at the half full level so you might check the fluid level and if not full top it off and try the rear washer again. It would take a while for the fluid to reach the rear so hold the button down for a bit. I've had mine serviced twice and it wasn't because of low fluid but yours could.
2. The rear cargo area floor that is directly in back of the second row seat has a handle that allows it to be folded back to the rear. If that isn't done and the third row bench seat isn't exposed the third row seat button when pushed will sound the bell and not operate.

donjumpsuit
02-12-07, 01:40 AM
This is how you get the third row seat to respond.

#1. Make sure the floorboard flap is flipped over like a book would close and the velcro sticks firm.

#2. One of the following:
1. Put the key in the ignition and turn the car on, but not running
2. With the automatic unlock keychain, hit unlock three times in succession making sure (by ear) that the car response at least twice.

#3. Press the seat up switch in the back, not the "adjust the pitch of the back of the seat" switch which is located right next to it.

#4. This button must be pressed without letting go for the entire time the seat is going into place. Release of this button and repressing it causes the seat to reverse its direction and be tucked back in. You must release and press again for it to change directions.

Northern SRX
02-12-07, 06:03 AM
We just purchased a used 2004 V8 AWD SRX and I'm feeling like we made a mistake. We did alot of research on the vehicle and were sure that it was the one for us. However, once my husband got it home, that is when we started noticing things wrong with it. First, after driving it around town for 15 minutes, the check engine light came on. Next, we can't fold down the third seat, all we get is a beeping noise. At first we thought that maybe we were doing something wrong, but after reading the owner's manual and following it step by step, it still does not work. Some of the other things we noticed is that the washer fluid doesn't come out of the rear wiper, the floorboard behind the passenger seat as well as the jack storage compartment is wet, and the sunroof vibrates just before closing. We would contact the dealer that we bought it from, but he is in Ohio and we are in Maryland. We are planning on taking it to our local Cadillac dealer to get it fixed since it is still under warranty, but I am feeling like we are just going to have one problem after the next. If you have any suggestions or have had any of the same problems, please let me know.

Don't give up on it just yet. I also have an '04 AWD V8 and have had a few issues - all taken care of under warranty - but the car is blast to drive and very versatile to boot. It's worth taking the time to deal with these issues - besides, I am sure that you got a wonderful deal on a used one.

Others here are pointing to solutions for your current woes.

On the rear fluid, I'm sure you've checked the windshield fluid reservoir to ensure it's full so I doubt that's the problem (you never know, though... :o ). If you do a search here, you'll find that others have had this problem and it should be a simple warranty repair - apparently, on some models, the hose isn't well connected inside (making you wonder where the fluid is going... :confused: )

The check engine light could be the O2 sensors (I had 2 replaced under warranty) or it could just be the quality of gas you're using. Make sure you tighten the gas cap, switch to another company's gas for a tankful or two, and try to "drive it off". And stay away from discount gas joints.

The wetness in the jack area is a reasonably common problem which mine thankfully avoided - another poster here has suggested that it might be a seal issue and I think that's correct. Do a search in these fora and you'll find others will share their experiences.

The 3rd row seat took me a few tries before I figured it out. Another poster has offered some suggestions - the keys are ensuring that the key is in the ignition (either in the "on" or "acc" position - I forget which), ensuring that the transmission is in "park", folding the floor panel toward the rear of the vehicle, selecting the "rise" button of the two on the sidewall in the rear and keeping it depressed until it has fully risen (the other button is only for adjusting the seat angle once the seatback has been fully deployed). If you've done all of this and it's still not working, then you've got a warranty visit.

Anyway, get past these quirks and I'm sure you'll love your SRX as we do ours.

Good luck.

TSS
02-12-07, 08:11 AM
We are not blaming anyone for the things that we have encountered, just looking to see if anyone else has had similar issues and any suggestions of how to fix them. Thanks for the feedback. On the whole, we really do love the car. And for the features that it has and what we paid for it, I would say we got one hell of a deal. I just was wondering how we were supposed to know that the check engine light was going to come on, and that the floor was wet. We did drive the car and go over it, but I guess we did forget to crawl around in it.

I agree regarding the check engine light (which as previously stated may be as simple as a faulty or loose gas cap). You could not necessarily have seen that one coming. BUT, the wetness behind the passenger seat? The inoperative rear window washer? The problematic Ultra-view? The inoperative third row?

When I buy used or CPO, I make it a point to check every option, lights, etc before taking delivery. For me, "problems" get resolved and fixed much quicker and right the first time if the dealer does not have your check yet.

Ultimately, you will love the SRX. Welcome to the forum.

GMJim
02-16-07, 01:44 PM
Our 2004 SRX came standard with the wet floor in the jack area. Dealer traced it to a bad seal around the high brake light. He had to break the light housing to get it off. Once fixed, it hasn't leaked since. From other forums, this looks like a common problem.
Hope your SRX is better than ours. Not to scare you, but we've had a lot of problems with ours. Be ready for the rear window regulators and CD player to fail. That's only the tip of the iceburg of problems we've had. I wouldn't buy another one.

Might I suggest a "Sludgemobile" from Toyota.

SoccerDad
02-16-07, 03:27 PM
Hey - cheer up! I also purchased a used 04 AWD N*.

I got a great deal and love this vehicle - in spite of a couple of common issues that the dealer resolved to my full satisfaction.

My ultraview is as quiet as any sunroof I 've had, the noise at start up many have had was resolved with some replaced sensors - no leaks, squeaks, or other quirks - but even if they start - I will continue to enjoy this Caddy.

Today I smoked my Buddie's Infiniti FX - blew him to bits - he was crushed.

And on Valentine's Day - after a romantic dinner - I learned accidentally that this thing will jump a 6 inch curb, tear through a mulched landscape, scale a nearly 35 degree wet grassy incline, fly back off a high curb and reach merging speed onto a major highway - no problem.

Anyone else experiencing a wet driver's seat?

urbanski
02-16-07, 03:32 PM
And on Valentine's Day - after a romantic dinner - I learned accidentally that this thing will jump a 6 inch curb, tear through a mulched landscape, scale a nearly 35 degree wet grassy incline, fly back off a high curb and reach merging speed onto a major highway - no problem.

Anyone else experiencing a wet driver's seat?

:haha: :lol:

GMJim
02-17-07, 07:38 PM
lol!!!! good 2 know of the SRX's off road capabilities

My only experience was..............
when sheets of ice blew off the top of a semi trailer, and crashed my windshield & ultraview. Seat was not wet cause it was a #2.

TSS
02-18-07, 08:06 PM
l .Seat was not wet cause it was a #2.

note to self: do not buy a used SRX from GMJIM. :)

c5 rv
02-18-07, 08:38 PM
note to self: do not buy a used SRX from GMJIM. :)

Amen to that.

GMJim
02-19-07, 06:26 AM
Ok.............let me re-phrase................Crashed into without damage, not crashed through. Still enough to fill my britches.

CrzyScrMOM
02-20-07, 09:43 PM
Just wanted to post an update. Took the SRX into the dealer and got all of the issues resolved. The sunroof just needed grease, the rear windshield wiper just needed a new nozzle, the wet jack compartment was due to a faulty seal, the wet rear passenger floor was coming from bad weather-stripping, and the third row seat would not fold down because it needed a new module. Also, the check engine light was due to an exhaust issue which they traced to a bad catalytic converter. Thanks to all of you for your feedback as well as Miller Cadillac. They provided us with outstanding service! Now the only problem that I have is with the transmission. It sure likes to go fast:bouncy: I'm glad that we were able to get these issues resolved. We love our car and are really pleased with the decison that we made.