: Tech Support Question for ewill3rd

Kauai 1
02-11-07, 03:39 PM
My dealer told me that they could not contact Cadillac Tech Support about my transmission problems unless I was at the dealership with my SRX. And then, while they communicated over the phone, I could not participate; only dealer employees could talk!
Is this correct?
Thanks for your help, ewill3rd; wish I were not thousands of miles away from your location!

ewill3rd
02-11-07, 04:00 PM
Our Technical support line we refer to as the Technical Assistance Center, or TAC.
It is actually run by a separate company that GM pays to manage it. Whenever you call TAC, they ask for your dealer code, a repair order number, the vehicle's odometer reading, and the name of the person calling. They check it against a database of people who have called from the dealership and they keep track of who is calling. They also ask for a "document ID number". I find that part annoying but they do it for a few reasons. First, to make sure you have access to service information. The doc number is related to the repair and they want to be sure that you have access to the info you should have. The next reason they do it is because we should have already been using SI to try to diagnose the problem. They want to be sure that we have followed all the diagnostic steps we can before we call them.
They are supposed to be our last line of defense, not the first people we call.
Some techs really abuse TAC by calling before they even bring in the car to check out. That is the main reason they ask us for so much information now.

It is not designed to be used by the general public. It is a diagnostic aid for GM technicians paid for by GM so they work pretty hard at keeping the "riff raff" out, if you take my meaning.
(not meant to insult anyone)

I wouldn't put a TAC advisor in the hot seat by having a customer on the phone with me. I would be more than happy to tell a customer anything the advisor said though.

One of the things they tell us is to be sure the car is "in the shop with all available diagnostics performed" before calling a TAC advisor.

I hope that answers your questions. I too am sorry that you are too far away to come to Lindsay for service.
Maybe someday :D

Kauai 1
02-11-07, 04:13 PM
Thanks, ewill3rd; you are the Greatest!