: Chrome exchange or aftermarket wheels?

Tom Wheeler
02-11-07, 01:04 PM
I have a new 2007 all wheel drive with the 17 polished wheels and Goodyear RS-As. I wish now I would have got the new 20 sport package, but in any case Im now considering ether doing a 17 chrome wheel exchange with one of the west coast companies or buying new 20 chrome wheels and tires.
My questions are:

1. Has anyone had any experience with chrome wheel exchange from OEM Wheels or OEM Chrome Wheels (they are two different companies)?

2. If I decide to upgrade with a after market 20 package, Im thinking 20 Zinik Z9 Sabini wheels with Toyo Proxes S/T tires. Anyone have this package on their SRX?

3. If I go with the 20s, anyone interested in my new 07, 17 wheels and tires, they are just two weeks old. Please contact me off line if interested, price will be good.

Thanks in advance,
Tom Wheeler

wifescaddy
02-11-07, 02:37 PM
Ive been looking for a set of rims for ours also,cant decide to go with 20's or the chromed factory ones from ebay outright.I sent you an private message on yours also.

Tom Wheeler
02-11-07, 03:50 PM
Sorry, but I can't send private messages yet, too new of a member. You can call me on my cell 248-310-9618 or email me at; thomaswheeler@comcast.net
and I would be glad to answer your questions and run outside and take some pictures for you.

Tom

Smokin' SRX
02-13-07, 05:35 PM
Guys, please go test drive first! Caddy has the 20" in stock for '07, as you know. Ride suffers alot!!
I thought about it then drove it. Went w/ same 18" wheel all around! (larger, rear OE size) Stock was 18" on the V-8 anyway, but I went for chrome! Local co. had EMC2 brand. Works great, no probs. Now I can ROTATE!!

PS...price new 20 " rubber too! Unless $$ is no concern!:thumbsup:

TSS
02-13-07, 08:23 PM
Good advice . 20s are a much different ride - not in a good way for me.

Tom Wheeler
02-14-07, 05:58 AM
Guy's,
Thanks for the advice, once this latest snow gets in control, I'll take a another 07 with 20's for a test ride first.

Regards,
Tom

Tom Wheeler
02-21-07, 06:28 AM
Well, I took a new 07 with the 20 package for a test ride to compare with my 07 on the 17s. There was a little bit stiffer ride, but not as much as I expected. I think as long as you stay with a 255/20-50 series tires all around, like what come with the 20 package the ride is still OK. Part of the difference is that the 255/20-50 is just about .8 inch larger in overall diameter then the stock 17 or 18 tire/wheel package. This of course will mean my speedometer; odometer and all other related travel measurements will be off by close to 3%. If you wanted to stay with the same overall diameter as the 17/18 tires, you would need to use 265/20-45 tires, Im sure with the wider, lower profile 45 series tires the ride would change quite a bit.
So I have ordered a set of chrome Zinik Z-15 Verona wheels and will be using 255/20-50 Toyo Proxy S/Ts for the rubber. I have a few friends in the Detroit area that manage some of the larger tire chain stores, all they all said for the money, the Ziniks are their first choice and the same is true for the Proxy S/Ts. I should have them by the end of this week or the start of next. If interested Ill let the group know how they work out.

Thanks,
Tom

wifescaddy
02-21-07, 07:14 AM
Definitely keep us informed,ive been waiting to see if you drove one with 20's yet for me to decide which way to go too.

TSS
02-21-07, 07:59 AM
There was a little bit stiffer ride, but not as much as I expected.

I think the differences are more noticeable over rough or poorly maintained roads. If you don't travel pot holed roads or broken pavement, it probably makes only a small difference. For me, it would be very problematic.

Can't wait to see some pics!

Tom Wheeler
02-21-07, 08:13 AM
I think the differences are more noticeable over rough or poorly maintained roads. If you don't travel pot holed roads or broken pavement, it probably makes only a small difference. For me, it would be very problematic.

Hey, I live in Michigan too...I drove both vehicles, mine and the one with 20's down the same beat-up black top road, no big pot holes, but the ride was very close.

I hope I won't regret the change....

Tom

TSS
02-21-07, 10:32 AM
Roads must be better on your side of the State than mine! Its like playing dodgeball with ther potholes here. You know the ones on your regular route, but once you venture into new territory, beware.