: Remote keyless entry ack

wingerr
02-11-07, 10:39 AM
Is there any way to set up the RKE on the 95 Fleetwood to flash the parking lights or honk the horn when locking and unlocking?

Mine is silent with no feedback that it received the signal, so I end up having to always walk back close enough to the car to hear the locks actuating, which gets to be a drag sometimes if I walked off some distance already. The interior lights come on, but it's not visible in daylight, so they don't help much.

Considering that all remotes I've seen usually have it switchable to silent or chirp, but at a minimum with parking light flash, I thought Cadillac must have made it an easily programmable option. If so, what's the magic keypress sequence that needs to be done?

davidrap
02-11-07, 10:06 PM
I believe that you cannot do that with this system. It would require the system to have a relay to flash the lights or honk the horn and this is an earlier primitive keyless. My Suburban has the same one. Perhaps a homemade solution could be created using the signal or relay sent to the interior lights...if so its beyond my skill level :)

wingerr
02-11-07, 10:23 PM
I think you're right- I just looked in the shop manual description of the keyless entry, and the only connection to pulsing the horn and exterior lights is when the security system is triggered.
Just seemed strange they didn't think of including something that seems so basic, even for a primitive system-
I just might go and add in my own circuit to do it, now that I know it's not part of the built in functions.

Old Fleetwood
02-12-07, 04:39 PM
You SHOULD get a beep and flashing lights on a TEST!
According to the owners manual:

1. From inside the vehicle roll down the window, then get out of your vehicle keeping the door open.
2. From outside the vehicle with the door open, lock the vehicle using the power door lock or the Remote Keyless Entry System and close the door.
3. Once the interior lamps are off, reach in and unlock the door using the manual lock. Open the door and the horn will sound and your headlamps will flash.
If the alarm does not sound when it should, check to see if the horn works. The horn fuse may be blown. To replace the fuse, see "Fuses and Circuit Breakers in the Index.

The above is a direct quote from the manual.

wingerr
02-12-07, 08:22 PM
Thanks, I'll have to try that to see if the security system works- so far it hasn't had any reason to go off, so I don't know if it will or not.

Still have a bunch of things to sort out yet. One strange thing I noticed is the ALC control relay must be stuck on, because the compressor will periodically kick on even when the ignition has been turned off for a period much longer than the 7 minute timeout. The shop manual says it shouldn't operate after that time, but it does, and it can't be too good for the battery over a long period of sitting.
Not sure if the manual is wrong or not, since it may be set up to operate even when ignition is off, to keep it from sacking out and looking odd, if the air shocks are leaking a bit.
Mine doesn't come on that frequently, but it does seem to be always ready to compensate the level, contrary to the description.

BCs71
02-13-07, 01:38 PM
You SHOULD get a beep and flashing lights on a TEST!
According to the owners manual:

1. From inside the vehicle roll down the window, then get out of your vehicle keeping the door open.
2. From outside the vehicle with the door open, lock the vehicle using the power door lock or the Remote Keyless Entry System and close the door.
3. Once the interior lamps are off, reach in and unlock the door using the manual lock. Open the door and the horn will sound and your headlamps will flash.
If the alarm does not sound when it should, check to see if the horn works. The horn fuse may be blown. To replace the fuse, see "Fuses and Circuit Breakers in the Index.

The above is a direct quote from the manual.

Hmmmm.... the above info is for the built-in security system. It tells me that there is a relay somewhere that triggers the horn and lights already in the vehicle. This means you could easily tap into it from say... the door lock wire feed. When the RKE is triggered and the door locks, power is sent through to the horn/lights relay and they become lit.
Getting the lights/horn to pulse one time (and not stay constantly powered) would be the only obstacle now to getting this feature to work....

wingerr
02-14-07, 07:22 AM
I looked at the diagram for the remote control receiver, and everything should be available right there. Just need to add a relay or transistor to convert the (+) door lock/unlock signal to the (-) pulse needed for the horn or light control relay.
The lock signal is already pulsed, so the timing should be already covered. I'll just have to see if the duration of the lock signal is good as is- if it's too short or too long, it should be easy enough to add a circuit to change it.

Actually, I could set it up to only honk the horn if the lock is pressed twice in succession, which allows it to be silent for times you don't need the acknowledgement; that's how it was set up in a Ford truck I rented. That should be better than trying to make it switchable through the remote or needing a manual switch to turn it on or off.

DaveSmed
02-14-07, 08:59 AM
Good ideas here. Helped someone do the same thing on a Seville. Watch the duration of the lock pulse, it was a problem IIRC.