: Safety Recall: Aurora 4.0 - Fuel rail leaks

infin1ty
03-17-04, 10:35 PM
GM is recalling over 93,000 1995-1997 Auroras for potential fuel leaks due to degrading nylon tubing used in the fuel rail. Are these components shared with the N*? There was no mention of any Cadillac recalls.

Logandiagnostic
03-18-04, 05:44 AM
Basically the same assembly line.....same part. I would expect to see it happen in the next few months. I dont think they have enough replacement fuel lines yet.

Another Cadillac owner reported seeing a company about 6 weeks ago tooling up to make stainless steel replacements fuel lines.

Logan
www.airbagcrash.com
www.logandiagnostic.com

eldorado1
03-18-04, 09:20 AM
Question - lets say I have a parts car, and plan on reusing the northstar in a project car of mine... Can I still get the recalled parts without paying $5,000,000.00 for them?

Dubya
03-18-04, 01:38 PM
how do i know if my aurora's one of the 93,xxx? got a later model 95 - just call a dealership and find out? guess that means they'd fix it for free

BeelzeBob
03-19-04, 01:29 PM
how do i know if my aurora's one of the 93,xxx? got a later model 95 - just call a dealership and find out? guess that means they'd fix it for free

It is one of them...all of them had plastic fuel rails....and all the plastic fuel rails are being recalled for replacement with stainless steel lines. The 93,000 just indicates how many Auroras were made....

dloch
03-20-04, 08:00 PM
It is one of them...all of them had plastic fuel rails....and all the plastic fuel rails are being recalled for replacement with stainless steel lines. The 93,000 just indicates how many Auroras were made....
So GM is going to recall all the Northstar engines with the plastic fuel rails and replace them with the SS Rails then?

I saw saw the machines being built that making the SS lines. They are a customer of ours. They made mention of the same thing.

Aurora By Olds
03-21-04, 10:53 AM
Are there any more details on this recall, and how exactly do we go about getting the work done?

BeelzeBob
03-21-04, 11:04 PM
Are there any more details on this recall, and how exactly do we go about getting the work done?

Contact your dealer about scheduling the retrofit.

Jack Ammann
03-22-04, 08:53 PM
Contact your dealer about scheduling the retrofit.

Bill, does this apply to a '94 ETC also, ie, did they have a plastic fuel rail?

Aurora By Olds
03-23-04, 12:16 PM
Went to the dealer, they said there's no outstanding recalls on my 1995, which seems dumb as hell, because the recall states "1995 - 1997 Auroras," and mine was built on March 03 1995 with the stupid nylon fuel rail.

They gave me a printout that showed me a whole list of crap that was done under warranty though:
Headgaskets (obviously not done right)
Lower crank case seal
Rear main
2 pwr steering pumps
Steering rack

Dealer must have made some cash on this car, no two things were repaired at the same time, so apparantly the engine has been out like 4 times now :-)
Should be good to go forever now though, there's not a thing left to leak on it..

BeelzeBob
03-23-04, 01:40 PM
Went to the dealer, they said there's no outstanding recalls on my 1995, which seems dumb as hell, because the recall states "1995 - 1997 Auroras," and mine was built on March 03 1995 with the stupid nylon fuel rail.

They gave me a printout that showed me a whole list of crap that was done under warranty though:
Headgaskets (obviously not done right)
Lower crank case seal
Rear main
2 pwr steering pumps
Steering rack

Dealer must have made some cash on this car, no two things were repaired at the same time, so apparantly the engine has been out like 4 times now :-)
Should be good to go forever now though, there's not a thing left to leak on it..

The whole issue was just announced so be patient....maybe the dealer doesn't have the info yet. Relax.

I doubt if the engine was out 4 times. Maybe once..... The lower cc seals and the rear main were probably done at one time....must have been a leak reported so the dealer (typically) threw the kitchen sink at it rather than diagnose the exact problem....i.e...it is really doubtful that the lower cc seals AND the rear main were leaking.....and if they were done at different times then it just indicates that the first repair was not done correctly so it had to be redone. The engine doesn't have to come out for the rack. Power steering pumps....they are on top of the engine and take about 10 minutes to change under the hood. My guess is that it was the power steering pump leaking all along at a fitting and the oil ran down the valley of the engine and down the rear of the block and was misdiagnosed as a rear main seal/LCC seal leak....seen it many many times.

BeelzeBob
03-23-04, 01:40 PM
Bill, does this apply to a '94 ETC also, ie, did they have a plastic fuel rail?

Uh...no....it says Aurora....LOL....just wait......be patient.

Aurora By Olds
03-23-04, 04:37 PM
The whole issue was just announced so be patient....maybe the dealer doesn't have the info yet. Relax.

I doubt if the engine was out 4 times. Maybe once..... The lower cc seals and the rear main were probably done at one time....must have been a leak reported so the dealer (typically) threw the kitchen sink at it rather than diagnose the exact problem....i.e...it is really doubtful that the lower cc seals AND the rear main were leaking.....and if they were done at different times then it just indicates that the first repair was not done correctly so it had to be redone. The engine doesn't have to come out for the rack. Power steering pumps....they are on top of the engine and take about 10 minutes to change under the hood. My guess is that it was the power steering pump leaking all along at a fitting and the oil ran down the valley of the engine and down the rear of the block and was misdiagnosed as a rear main seal/LCC seal leak....seen it many many times.
Fine...I just have a brake fluid leak that needs to be addressed (I dont do brake lines, I would rather sell the car first), and I just want it all done at the same time...soon

Anyways,
The drivetrain had to have come out 4 times. I took it out once (headgaskets second time), and then the headgaskets (first time), lower crank case seal, and rear main were all shown to be done between 3k and 10k apart....
The rack could have initially been diagnosed as a p/s pump initially too, and who knows why they replaced it the second time...probably just so it was new with the rack.