: Schroth Harness Update

Feffman
02-11-07, 06:53 AM
Hi All:

Yesterday I finally got the correct parts installed to finish the Schroth (http://www.schrothracing.com/) Quick Fit Pro 4-point harness for the V. They operate great and look good, particuarly since they can be removed from the car with four simple clicks disconnecting at the seat belt points when not in use. These are HANS device compatible too.

The initial install had to wait as the mounting pieces that bolt in where the existing seat belts bolt in (one on the outside of the front seat and one on the outside of the rear) were not the correct length. Had to send them back to HMS Motorsports (Schroth http://www.schrothracing.com/) having them customized to the proper length. It seems they were NOT as custom as HMS claimed. Presumably, they now have the design corrected.

Not inexpensive at around $315 per side. A good number of groups insist the restraint system is the same on both sides so I may have to do the other side as well. Kind of a pisser as I almost never have passengers (particuarly aftet the California Porsche deaths) while on track.

Happy Motoring!

Feff
www.MVPTrackTime.com

rand49er
02-11-07, 07:11 AM
Hey, Mark, have you got a digital camera. Would love to see this harness, but ...

:postpics:

:D

Chef
02-11-07, 10:10 AM
Well done!

Pics would be great if you have the time?

Chef

Rockafella
02-11-07, 01:12 PM
[QUOTE=rand49er;974800]Hey, Mark, have you got a digital camera. Would love to see this harness, but ...
/QUOTE]

Hey Randy, getting ready for Gingerman!?! Haha..

Feffman
02-11-07, 07:15 PM
Photos as requested

2nd photo down is the front strap that installs with the same nut as the stock seat belt. This needed to be lengthened 2" inches for a proper fit. The plastic slot that the belts slip through needed to be widened slightly with a Dremel to accomidate both belts simultaneously.

Bottom photo is the rear mounting point (outiside by the door) bolted to the same spot as the rear seat belt under hte seat. Schroth had to lenghten this 1" inch but it may have been better to add 2" inches. Neither of the added attachments interferes with the stock seat belt operations and doing them in black makes them less noticable.

Feff
www.MVPTrackTime.com

ctsvett
02-11-07, 10:05 PM
That looks pretty cool... I would be careful since these probably arent tested in a crash simulator, but nothing aftermarket usually is.

Does this place have the part number for the entire kit? Can you list list part numbers and lengths?

Does it hold you pretty well if you get crazy in the twisties?

I for one may do this just for more support when driving fun in the hills near where I live.

I would put this install up on the FAQ if you care to provide details. This question has been asked many times.

Reed

Feffman
02-11-07, 10:24 PM
Does this place have the part number for the entire kit? Can you list list part numbers and lengths?

You can simply call HMS Motorsports and tell them you want a set of the Schroth Quick Fit Pro harnesses for a CTS-V. Make sure you tell them you want the bolt in parts that are longer for the CTS-V.

Does it hold you pretty well if you get crazy in the twisties?

Honestly haven't tried them out yet as I was installing the Ground Control suspension this weekend as well.

I would put this install up on the FAQ if you care to provide details. This question has been asked many times.

Reed

Give me a few days to do a write up and I'll get it to you.

Feff

Chef
02-12-07, 12:01 PM
:thumbsup: Good stuff!!

ctsvett
02-14-07, 12:42 AM
waiting on your feedback before I jump in..

Reed

Feffman
02-20-07, 02:47 PM
Just ordered the passenger side Schroth harness as most clubs require equal restraints on each side. OH well at least I'll match now!

Feff

heavypedal
02-20-07, 03:01 PM
Feff....the Schroth harness looks badazz in the car. Definitely need the passenger side one to take the newbies on hot-laps ;)

T

rgd
02-20-07, 10:14 PM
Hi Reed,

To answer your question, yes it will hold you in place thru the twisties. That is the exact same setup I put in my car a while ago.

Feff you will love it!

Thought i would jump in w/my $0.02.

waiting on your feedback before I jump in..

Reed

rgd
02-20-07, 10:17 PM
Ps. Looks gr8!

:thumbsup:

Chef
09-09-07, 08:58 PM
Any updates Feff?

I'm calling them tomorrow - Do you have a contact name there?

As far as install - How ez / time consuming?

thx,
Chef

Feffman
09-10-07, 11:38 AM
Any updates Feff? I'm calling them tomorrow - Do you have a contact name there? As far as install - How ez / time consuming?

Chef:

Very easy install, simply have to remove the rear seat for rear seat mounts. The front outside mounts needed a littel Dremel work on the plastic part of the seat (cover for bolts, etc.) to allow the additional seat belt through the slot. They work great but are pretty pricey. I've yet to install any type of 5th point (crotch belt) due to lack of time.

Feff

50 4Ever
09-10-07, 07:33 PM

I for one may do this just for more support when driving fun in the hills near where I live.

Reed, might want to double check the law but when I had harnesses installed in my Corvette 5 years ago I was told that it was illegal in CA to drive with a racing harness in place of a seatbelt on public roads. Didn't make any sense to me then and makes even less now. Everything in CA is illegal... :cookoo:

AAIIIC
09-10-07, 09:26 PM
I believe Scroth's 4-point harnesses are actually DOT legal (and a quick look at their homepage confirms that). I don't know of any 5-point or 6-point harnesses that are DOT legal, most likely because the companies concentrate on designing them for SFI and FIA certification, not DOT legality.

I have a Scroth Quick Fit 4-point harness in my Subaru that I use when I auto-x the car. I do not use the harness when I open track the car, as I have no roll-over protection in the car and the general consensus is harness use without a rollbar is bad joo-joo.

jweymar
06-15-11, 11:25 PM
Anybody here do this? I am trying to figure out the part numbers or contact info, because HMS doesn't have any #s

thebigjimsho
06-16-11, 10:30 PM
Just ditch the V for a V2 and Recaro'''''''''''''''''s. Never move around again...

DrSpeed
03-08-12, 06:32 PM
I know it's 9 months old, but their number is on their website:

http://www.hmsmotorsport.com/

9A Electronics Ave
Danvers, MA 01923
Toll Free: 888.467.3269
Voice: 978.774.1615
Fax: 978.774.1548

DDS rollin a CTS
04-22-13, 10:28 PM
Hey guys, I autocross my V and while other drivers and passengers in my car have complained about moving around too much, I've always felt like I could brace myself alright and didn't need the extra help. Well fast forward to today, I was talking to my neighbor who is in a wheelchair. I offered to take him for a ride at the next autocross. As we talked, we realized the normal seatbelts may not be enough to keep him in place since he has limited control of his upper body as well. I figured this would be a great excuse to get a set of four point harnesses until I just looked them up and saw how expensive they are. So I guess my question is, how much do these really help? Also has anyone else purchased a set recently and if so do you know if they'd offer a discount for getting them as a pair? Finally is there someone specific I should talk to? They don't list the CTS-V application on their site, and I see from here that some customization was needed, but I guess I'm unclear on what exactly needs to be customized.

Thanks!