: Still cant drive my V

valdeztke
02-09-07, 01:18 PM
Ok ive cooled down.

I just want to drive the car already this process sucks. Never again will I buy from a person to person.

heavymetals
02-09-07, 01:44 PM
You should be able to get a temporary operating permit.

I think the bill of sale is good enough pending the papers to get a temp, but then again, don't know what the state requirements are for you.

Call your local DMV office and see what they say.......

valdeztke
02-09-07, 01:46 PM
Virginia has no temporary tag - unless the vehicle is purchased through the dealer. There is a permit but its not for purchasing vehicles its more for dealers to transport for repairs or something.

50 4Ever
02-09-07, 01:52 PM
That would drive me nutz too. When I bought a used pickup I got a temporary the day I bought it and the tags followed in a couple of weeks in the mail. But the title is a different story. It was held by a bank in Waskington (State) and the pickup was a repo. Took 6 bleeping months for me to get the title. Seems like in my case the vehicle could be registered without the title even being in the state of California.

Hope your problem gets solved soon.

:eek:

heavymetals
02-09-07, 01:53 PM
Not a "tag", but a temporary permit to operate.

May be restricted, but better then nothing.

Sucks to have a flakey private deal.

What about getting it insured, then at least you can show that if you get stopped and you can tell them the registration is "in the works"?
The insurance would show "good faith".

valdeztke
02-09-07, 02:14 PM
The car is insured. I have the bill of sale. I just dont want to put a set of tags from another car but I dont want to operate the vehicle without tags and get stopped and have them impound my car. I do have a very good relationship with the DMV Director and Commissioner - I just want the seller to at least go to the DMV and "TRY" to get the title.

rand49er
02-09-07, 02:20 PM
Bought my winter beater last September in a private deal. Had to pay the guy for the car, I cut a bill of sale, then he had to pay off his loan institution with the money I gave him :eek: , then wait a couple of days so the lien holder could overnight the payoff statement from Colorado. BUT, I took possession of the car even though I did not yet "own" it just like you. It all worked out. Gave me time to claybar the car and basically detail it. Nice lookin' little '03 ZX3 5-spd with 25k miles.

Good luck, Juan. You might want to exercise your right foot in the meantime ... you're gonna need it when the paperwork is done! :thumbsup:

valdeztke
02-09-07, 02:23 PM
I guess the reason I'm a little on fire is that I had no trouble setting around this week with no car. I walk to work and to the gym; dont drive during the week- but was really looking forward to driving the car this weekend. Now it looks like I am going to be waiting another week until I can get the title and get to the DMV - oh well at least its winter. If this was the summer and I had to wait, that would be a different story!

I guess I could go and get some detailing stuff. Maybe even take it to the tint shop.....put it on jack stands and take the wheels to get powder coated.

donjumpsuit
02-09-07, 03:14 PM
I don't know if this is going to help, but in California there is a one day operating permit for purposes of transportation of the said vehicle from one location (point of sale) to another (final destination). You (the operator) pays 15 dollars for this form, and you fill it out by hand the details (car vin/date/time/operator).

If your state has this, you could play dumb, and fill out the date, 10 seconds before the cop gets to the window, and say you bought it a week ago, filled out paperwork, and are just now operating it (under full insurance) back to your home. That would at least get you out of jail once.

donjumpsuit
02-09-07, 03:15 PM
I don't know if this is going to help, but in California there is a one day operating permit for purposes of transportation of the said vehicle from one location (point of sale) to another (final destination). You (the operator) pays 15 dollars for this form, and you fill it out by hand the details (car vin/date/time/operator).

If your state has this, you could play dumb, and fill out the date, 10 seconds before the cop gets to the window, and say you bought it a week ago, filled out paperwork, and are just now operating it (under full insurance) back to your home. That would at least get you out of jail once.

ZEUSROTTY
02-09-07, 03:20 PM
just drive it...

urbanski
02-09-07, 03:34 PM
G-rated thread titles, please. thanks. good luck.

jashearer
02-09-07, 03:35 PM
Man that sucks...

I've had to wait on titles for all my winter beaters here in Iowa, and I've driven around for as much as a full month with a piece of paper taped to the back window and IN-TRANSIT with a date written in sharpie :)

I guess that's one of the perks of living in the sticks.

Jay

valdeztke
02-09-07, 04:52 PM
Man that sucks...

I've had to wait on titles for all my winter beaters here in Iowa, and I've driven around for as much as a full month with a piece of paper taped to the back window and IN-TRANSIT with a date written in sharpie :)

I guess that's one of the perks of living in the sticks.

Jay

I'm going to try that this weekend in DC.

valdeztke
02-09-07, 04:54 PM

Ours is ten dollars and also requires you to have the title in the car, which in this case if I had the title this whole thread would be moot.

valdeztke
02-09-07, 04:55 PM
G-rated thread titles, please. thanks. good luck.

Sorry about that Urb - I am sure you can feel my frustration. Have pitty on my soul.....:worship:

like everyone else seems to say, "Dont ban me".

rand49er
02-09-07, 05:07 PM
Sorry about that Urb - I am sure you can feel my frustration. Have pitty on my soul.....:worship:

like everyone else seems to say, "Dont ban me".Hey, Juan, I just noticed you're in the GREEN now!!! :bouncy:

hyhflo
02-09-07, 07:03 PM
This same thing happend with GM.like 2 months and a few phone calls i finally got it.(bought from father and he wanted it out of his name)

valdeztke
02-09-07, 07:18 PM
Hey, Juan, I just noticed you're in the GREEN now!!! :bouncy:

Yeah I know. I can't believe that butthead thought I was talking about him and fired off a negative REP point at me ... what a L

I drove the car tonight a whole 3/4 mile to the grocery down a few backroads. I really love the V and I've owned some very nice cars.....

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g88/valdeztke/GARAGEBANNER.gif

ctsvflorida
02-09-07, 07:44 PM
This is a long thread for a guy waiting to be legal to drive! I couldn't even imagine not just throwing a plate on and driving! Drive safely (only hammer it a few times) and bring all your paperwork! 9 out of 10 cops will let you go anyway! Everyone on here must have done this one time or another. Go for one long ride...what are the chances of getting pulled over?

I do know the feeling though from years ago, and when I couldn't take it any longer, I just went for a ride and was good for a couple days! Good luck with it when you finally get it all straight though!

valdeztke
02-09-07, 08:25 PM
I guess I was hoping the seller would have been or would be a bit more outgoing rather than have that "when I get a chance" attitude. I know he is a busy guy- but I just took a 30k + burden off of him, be a bit helpful and if not thankful (keep in mind the car has a wrecked history).

I was hinting that he should go to the DMV in the AM and wait in line and see if they can give him the copy of the title. He says, "yeah I'd hate to waste my time going to the DMV if they couldnt really get the title. We'll just see if it comes next week or the week after."

I was a bit furious.

If in fact the lienholder has released the title he can pick up an electronic copy from the DMV for like $13.00. But he seemed like his time was waaaay to important to do that. When I had the money in hand and wanted to buy the car it took almost 5 days to get him to call me back and say I could see it... he took me for a ride and I said I'd take it.

Took another week before he was free to sign off on the bill of sale .... (he shows up in a brand new SRT8 with temp tags - must be nice to have temp tags lol).

So this has been a long and ongoing process.....
I'm just ready for it to be over ... oh and he cant find the NAV disk either :( anyone know what to do about that? ;)

ctsvflorida
02-09-07, 08:38 PM
WOW buddy, sounds sickening to me! He sounds like an azz to boot! I would be furious too but it seemed like he had an attitude from the start! I can't handle people like that and personally, I would have walked from the start. At any rate, that is me! Keep your head up and clean it some more! :D Let us know when this idiot has time for you and gets you the title! Good luck!

RunningOnEMT
02-09-07, 09:41 PM
juan

actually there is something called a transport tag that you can get in VA

it allows you to drive an untitled vehicle in the state of VA for a period of three days, no extensions but you can reapply

stkshkr
02-09-07, 10:06 PM
[quote=valdeztke;973513]Yeah I know. I can't believe that butthead thought I was talking about him and fired off a negative REP point at me ... what a L

I hope you don't want to start a pissing contest about this. You qouted me and put the comment under, it could not be construed any other way. Now you want to call me a butthead?

valdeztke
02-09-07, 10:16 PM
stkshkr -

Someone made a post that said, " I hear the maggie can be spun to fast and wear it out" or something along those lines.

You replied - "Who did you hear that from?"

I quoted you implying the guy you were answering was :cookoo:

Why would I comment to what you said? I have a freakin maggie for crying out loud. I tried explaining that to you once before, but you didnt get it then either.

No hard feelings but next time ask before you go pulling triggers ..

stkshkr
02-09-07, 10:27 PM
I got it......and thought it was over. Now that post! We try not to denigrate fellow forum members here, except in obvious humor.

valdeztke
02-09-07, 10:36 PM
Someone asked me how I got a negative post. I thought it was funny.

My bad ...