: 2000 Deville Stalls when idleing in drive

naccan
03-17-04, 04:47 PM
:hmm: I have a 2000 Deville that tends to stall at times. Usually this occurs either when sitting in traffic or at a red light. The car will start right up and usually does not stall a second time. The stalling is not consistent. It might happen one day, and not happen agian for two or three days. Then there are times where it might stall twice in one day, etc. There is no specific pattern, I have had it to the dealer 4 times and of course the car would not stall when thay had it. They replaced both crankshaft sensors. Initially before the new sensors were put in, the car would also stall when I would go out to warm the car up in the morning, I would come back out 5 or 10 minute later to a stalled vehicle. That has not occured since they put the sensors in, but it still continues to stall when I'm sitting at a light or in traffic. Again, there is no steady pattern of when it stalls. Can anyone help me out here!

BeelzeBob
03-17-04, 04:50 PM
:hmm: I have a 2000 Deville that tends to stall at times. Usually this occurs either when sitting in traffic or at a red light. The car will start right up and usually does not stall a second time. The stalling is not consistent. It might happen one day, and not happen agian for two or three days. Then there are times where it might stall twice in one day, etc. There is no specific pattern, I have had it to the dealer 4 times and of course the car would not stall when thay had it. They replaced both crankshaft sensors. Initially before the new sensors were put in, the car would also stall when I would go out to warm the car up in the morning, I would come back out 5 or 10 minute later to a stalled vehicle. That has not occured since they put the sensors in, but it still continues to stall when I'm sitting at a light or in traffic. Again, there is no steady pattern of when it stalls. Can anyone help me out here!

Replace the crank position sensors.... somewhat common problem on the 2000 engines.

naccan
03-17-04, 04:56 PM
Replace the crank position sensors.... somewhat common problem on the 2000 engines.bbobysnki are they different sensors than the crankshaft senors, or are they the same thing?

BeelzeBob
03-17-04, 05:09 PM
bbobysnki are they different sensors than the crankshaft senors, or are they the same thing?

Not sure what your question is....

There are two crank position sensors that are located on the side of the block just above the oil filter adapter. They are commonly called "crank sensors" or "crank position sensors" or "ignition pickups" or "ignition sensors" and things like that....those are the ones.

The sensors stick thru the side of the block and read the notched wheel on the crankshaft as it turns to tell the PCM how fast and where the crank position is at. Replace both of them.

The sensors in 2000 could cause stalling and no starts when they failed without setting the crank position sensor trouble codes sometimes. That would certainly be the first thing that I would suspect.

Playdrv4me
03-17-04, 06:06 PM

There are two crank position sensors that are located on the side of the block just above the oil filter adapter. They are commonly called "crank sensors" or "crank position sensors" or "ignition pickups" or "ignition sensors" and things like that....those are the ones.

The sensors stick thru the side of the block and read the notched wheel on the crankshaft as it turns to tell the PCM how fast and where the crank position is at. Replace both of them.

The sensors in 2000 could cause stalling and no starts when they failed without setting the crank position sensor trouble codes sometimes. That would certainly be the first thing that I would suspect.

Not only that, but I know you might be thinking "ive already replaced those in the past"... doesnt matter, at least the previous ones (and maybe the current ones) were a flawed design and fail repeatedly, replace them again if necessary.

naccan
03-17-04, 06:09 PM

The sensors in 2000 could cause stalling and no starts when they failed without setting the crank position sensor trouble codes sometimes. That would certainly be the first thing that I would suspect. Both of those sensors were replaced about 5 or 6 weeks ago. I initially had two stalling issues, one where the car would stall in the morning when I would warm it up (in park) and one where it would stall when sitting at a light or in traffic (in drive). The stalling problem in park has not happened since the new sensors were put in, but the other stalling problem still happens occasionally. I had seen another reply out here on a 98 Caddy with a similair problem. Can't remember if you answered the question or not. but the suggestion was to claen the throttle body and I think the idel air control. Do you think that would be the next step to finding the problem? Thanks for your help!

kevinK
03-17-04, 08:51 PM
That was me. My 98 Deville had the same problem plus gas padel sticking. After cleaning the TB, it does not stall anymore. Try it first.

BeelzeBob
03-17-04, 10:20 PM
Not only that, but I know you might be thinking "ive already replaced those in the past"... doesnt matter, at least the previous ones (and maybe the current ones) were a flawed design and fail repeatedly, replace them again if necessary.

Actually.....I wouldn't say that they were a "flawed design" per se. There was a quality problem on some sensors due to the manufacturing process control (or lack there-of) at the supplier of the sensors. The sensors in question could develop an intermittant connection on the circuit board inside the sensor. The design of the sensors has never changed.....but the improvements in the supplier's quality control has significantly affected the sensor failure rate...positively that is...!!! In addition, the software in the PCM has been upgraded significantly to be able to catch any of the intermittant sensor conditions that were undetectable previously and substitute the sensor backup mode to prevent driveability problems.

So, yes, there were re-occuring quality problems with the sensors on occasion but the design of the sensor has proven to be sound and very robust if it is made the way it is designed it works fine.

BeelzeBob
03-17-04, 10:25 PM
Both of those sensors were replaced about 5 or 6 weeks ago. I initially had two stalling issues, one where the car would stall in the morning when I would warm it up (in park) and one where it would stall when sitting at a light or in traffic (in drive). !

BTW.....I would still consider replacing the sensors....based on your short description it sounds like one of the replacement sensors may have the same problem. The sensors in service parts were superceded several times to eliminate any possible faulty sensors in the service parts stream but possibly the sensor installed was an older one that did not get purged.