: Confused by Oil Life System

zzzasy
02-09-07, 07:35 AM
Hi all, I've put 8,000 miles on my car and I've been waiting for the system to tell me its time to change the oil. Well, last night while I was playing with the DIC system, I ran across the oil life thing and it said my oil life was at 38%. That doesn't make me feel comfortable about that system at all. As soon as I get a break in the weather, I will be changing the oil and resetting the system. What's your thoughts?

zzzasy
'05 STS

Kadonny
02-09-07, 07:46 AM
I would too. They say the oil life meter does actually guage what life your oil has left and it's based on how you drive the car. If you do highway and easier driven miles the oil will last longer. I know Audi and BMW both have regular oil intervals at 10k and 15k.

That being said, I would probably not ever go much over 8k before a change no matter how I drive the car.

zzzasy
02-09-07, 07:51 AM
Thanks for the input. Mostly, all of my driving is highway, but I have a lead foot and love to play with the power of the north*.

zzzasy

c5 rv
02-09-07, 08:11 AM
I usually change the oil at about 25%.

giannatj
02-09-07, 01:30 PM
I'm with you. The manual says its supposed to evaluate and guage the actual life but I got nervous when I got to 6500 miles and still had over 30% left. It looks like it wants to let me go 10K before a change. I got my first change at 6500 and will likely continue going no more than 7-8K.

Cajonkev
02-09-07, 01:36 PM
The OLM does not work off of a set mileage but based on driving habits will usually kick-off between 10-12k for the synthetics.

There are a couple of threads that have all the info you could ever want to read on pro's & con's if you have some spare time to read it all!

bigdog9586
02-10-07, 08:46 AM
Most of us were brought up in the 3K and change the oil attitude and just what the dealers want us to keep thinking. I remember a few years ago when GM came out with the newer version of the change oil gage and the dealers were all yelling and bit--ing that it would take away their business. It took a long time for me to change and trust the gage but I go until it gets to about 25% and change. My dealer still puts the sticker on the windshield with the 3month/3000 miles on it. The newer oils are far better than what was availible just 5 years ago.
========================

I'm with you. The manual says its supposed to evaluate and guage the actual life but I got nervous when I got to 6500 miles and still had over 30% left. It looks like it wants to let me go 10K before a change. I got my first change at 6500 and will likely continue going no more than 7-8K.

Jesda
02-10-07, 08:56 AM
Check out newer BMWs that follow 10k changes, and note the early wear.

Ahh yes, but at least BMW offers "free" maintenance.

bhoppes
02-11-07, 04:36 PM
On my 03 Seville my oil ife was at 8% and I have not changed it for 12,000 miles, so I could have probably went another 3-5K before it would have said Change Engine Oil, but still I should not have went that long.