: NorthStar .. fathered by the ALLANTE ....

Stealth
02-08-07, 11:35 PM
what a precious car the Allante is.
IT brought to you the now famous NORTHSTAR
as the 1992 Indy 500 Pace car driven by Bobby Unser

and here is the history of the NortStar, its problems and its solutions,
its failures, its leaks, etc ...
come look. most likely, if you are driving a Cadi or a Olds, you got one.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-allante-forum/7489-best-allante-buy.html
http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-allante-forum/

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0006IATVQ.01-A1HM51JAIB6OMF.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

CadillacSTS42005
02-09-07, 08:52 AM
92 there was no N*
it was 93 model year that the N* was dropped into the Allante...

Stealth
02-09-07, 09:26 AM
clarifying ...

the EVENT WAS the 1992 Indy 500,
the car was the 1993 pre-production Allante.
the Pace Cars

the 1st cars in the world to run with a NorthStar.
the Pace cars, built while 1992 production was on-going.
but they are 1993 models.

the same design was also used by Olds, they called it the AURORA.
NorthStar = Aurora

CadillacSTS42005
02-09-07, 12:23 PM
exactly why i said 93 MODELS had the N* only
i was doing this as to clarify

JimHare
02-09-07, 12:27 PM
clarifying ...

the EVENT WAS the 1992 Indy 500,
the car was the 1993 pre-production Allante.
the Pace Cars

the 1st cars in the world to run with a NorthStar.
the Pace cars, built while 1992 production was on-going.
but they are 1993 models.

the same design was also used by Olds, they called it the AURORA.
NorthStar = Aurora

If your thinking astronomically, Northstar = Polaris.

dkozloski
02-09-07, 01:08 PM
What the heck do snow machines have to do with it?

JimHare
02-10-07, 08:28 AM
Your snow blower has a Northstar?...kewl...

Stealth
02-11-07, 12:57 PM

maybe not everyone is aware, but the NorthStar and the Olds Aurora engine are essentially the same engine.

the engine was developed as a joint venture and the agreement was to
allow Cadillac introduce it. Olds followed Cadillac about two years later.

one design group, one project, one budget - two releases.

"1992 -
The Northstar engine was introduced as the first step in what eventually
became the Northstar System. The 4.6-liter, 32-valve V8 was first installed in
the Allanté and became available in other front-wheel-drive Cadillacs a year
later and as the Oldmobile Aurora the following year. "

"... the Northstar V8 has evolved over the years. In 1994, the first Northstar V8 (L37, 1993)) was joined by a second version (LD8, 1994)) with a different cam profile that lowered peak horsepower slightly to 270 hp but increased torque output in the lower rpm range for improved throttle response and quick acceleration.

In 1994, a Northstar V8 was introduced in the Oldsmobile Aurora. The L47 4.0L V8 was essentially the same engine as the larger 4.6L V8 but with a smaller bore size (87mm vs. 93mm). The L47 4.0L V8 was rated at 250 horsepower.

In 1995, the power rating of the L37 4.6L V8 (VIN 9) was bumped up slightly to 300 hp, and the LD8 4.6L V8 (VIN Y) was upped to 275 hp.

The two basic versions of the 4.6L V8 (275 and 300 hp) are still being used in model year 2003, and there are no plans to replace this engine in the immediate future. So it looks like the Northstar V8 will continue to enjoy a long production run.

GM recently unveiled its Northstar XV12 concept engine that is physically about the same size as the existing V8 but is capable of producing up to 750 horsepower! The engine uses cylinder deactivation technology to keep fuel economy manageable, but there are no productions plans yet for this exotic power plant."

Stealth
02-12-07, 12:17 PM
can someone enlighten me as to what the "LINKBACK" at the very end
of this screen is for? is is set fo rtype "Refbacks".

i read the description and i am simply wondering how one would trigger the LINKBACK and the purpose (aside just being informed it happened).

the linkback for this thread is the FORUM ITSELF? i think ... !
Posted by: < Northstar Performance and Technical Discussion - Cadillac Owners >

z06bigbird
03-13-07, 03:38 PM
maybe not everyone is aware, but the NorthStar and the Olds Aurora engine are essentially the same engine.

the engine was developed as a joint venture and the agreement was to
allow Cadillac introduce it. Olds followed Cadillac about two years later.

one design group, one project, one budget - two releases.

"1992 -
The Northstar engine was introduced as the first step in what eventually
became the Northstar System. The 4.6-liter, 32-valve V8 was first installed in
the Allanté and became available in other front-wheel-drive Cadillacs a year
later and as the Oldmobile Aurora the following year. "

"... the Northstar V8 has evolved over the years. In 1994, the first Northstar V8 (L37, 1993)) was joined by a second version (LD8, 1994)) with a different cam profile that lowered peak horsepower slightly to 270 hp but increased torque output in the lower rpm range for improved throttle response and quick acceleration.

In 1994, a Northstar V8 was introduced in the Oldsmobile Aurora. The L47 4.0L V8 was essentially the same engine as the larger 4.6L V8 but with a smaller bore size (87mm vs. 93mm). The L47 4.0L V8 was rated at 250 horsepower.

In 1995, the power rating of the L37 4.6L V8 (VIN 9) was bumped up slightly to 300 hp, and the LD8 4.6L V8 (VIN Y) was upped to 275 hp.

The two basic versions of the 4.6L V8 (275 and 300 hp) are still being used in model year 2003, and there are no plans to replace this engine in the immediate future. So it looks like the Northstar V8 will continue to enjoy a long production run.

GM recently unveiled its Northstar XV12 concept engine that is physically about the same size as the existing V8 but is capable of producing up to 750 horsepower! The engine uses cylinder deactivation technology to keep fuel economy manageable, but there are no productions plans yet for this exotic power plant."

Why does XLR-V have a 4.4 northstar instead of a 4.6? No one has been able to answer this for me.

Ed

Cadillacboy
03-13-07, 04:01 PM
Basicly 4.4 Northstar is supercharged that are used in V Series whereas 4.6 is "normal" neither supercharge nor turbo .
I don't know why 4.6 doesn't have those power boosters .I assume 4.6 is already using its limit .

eldorado1
03-13-07, 05:15 PM
Why does XLR-V have a 4.4 northstar instead of a 4.6? No one has been able to answer this for me.

Ed

They reduced the bore size. This did 2 things - created a stronger/more rigid block, and increased detonation resistance due to decreased distance for the flame front to travel.

Although I think the "official" word off the GM website is to "increase fuel economy" :bigroll:

[valley girl]As if![/valley girl]