: Radio presets - simple work around

markh
02-07-07, 08:42 PM
This may be a well known work around, but I couldn't find this "trick" on any existing threads...

Anyone with the Navigation radio knows that the data collected for the radio station preset display picks up whatever RDS information is being sent at the time the button is held down to "save" the station. This results in the presets displaying either the station call number, the name of the station or some partial word that makes no sense.

There is info on the FAQ site about this and Cadillac says it is "a normal characteristic of the navigaion radio".

I bought my V used, and the previous owner either didn't care or never figured this out. Of course this drove me crazy!

I tried timing the preset to when a song had stopped playing, or when the RDS info displayed the call number, but this was a real crap shoot. Since the radio has about a 3 second delay between pushing/holding the preset and when it actually stores the data, it was hard to get the timing right.

I finally noticed that when you first maually tune to a station, the radio always diplays the frequency for a half second or so, before scrolling into the other RDS info. What works best for me is:
1. Manually tune the radio one "click" lower/higher than the actual frequency you want to store.
2. Press and hold the preset button.
3. Count to 3 and with your other hand, tune (one click higher/lower) to the frequency you want.
4. Hopefully the radio has saved the correct frequency info on the preset button.

With a little practice you can pretty quickly have all the presets displaying the station frequency instead of random stuff.

nikon
02-07-07, 10:07 PM
good stuff, I'm gonna go try right now....

worked like a charm big thanks, even though I kinda stopped caring, it is nice that now other people in my car know what button goes to what station

hey reed, this might be god FAQ material....it takes one or two tries to get the hang of, but then it's easy. :thumbsup:

gsxmachine
02-08-07, 11:24 AM
I had previously used the “timing method” but this sounds like it is much easier and would produce a more consistent result. THANKS!

tedcmiller
02-08-07, 01:47 PM
Obviously, all the CTS-V radios w/nav work as described in these posts, and the method described might produce the desired result for the preset button display. However, it has been my experience that getting the desired preset button display, in some cases, is only temporary. When new RDS info is received (maybe days or weeks later), the preset button display can change to something different from what was there before. I don't know what causes this or whether there is any way to avoid it. It would be interesting to know if the setting method described in this thread somehow overcomes this problem.

speedemon9r
02-08-07, 08:14 PM
Yep what He said...

I will definitely give it a try since the presets bug the crap outta me too but I have also had them right where I want them via timing method and they do change randomly

CHP N-V
02-08-07, 08:44 PM
I could never figure out why there was random crap on those presets but it kinda make a little more since... I will be tring it too

ctsvett
02-09-07, 11:42 PM
going in the FAQ this weekend.

Reed

markh
02-17-07, 07:48 PM
This method does seem to stop the random RDS data from showing up on the preset buttons. I've had all but one of the presets stay on the frequency number for a couple of months now. The one that would change periodically is now staying put.

I think what was actually happening on that particular preset was that I tuned to the desired station frequency a fraction of a second too early. Instead of storing the frequency number that comes from the CTS-V radio itself when you first tune to a new frequency, it stored the RDS information being sent by the local radio station. In this case the radio station RDS information that was being sent at the time was the frequency number. (Some stations send the frequency as part of the RDS scrolling info...station name, song name, etc)

This is all somewhat of a guess, but it seems like the preset button will store the radio frequency as a "value" if it comes from the radio itself (ie within the first 1/2 second or so of manually tuning to a new frequency). The preset button seems to store RDS information as a "reference location" (ie display whatever RDS info is coming from the station when you first power up the radio and it receives RDS information from each station). The spreadsheet analogy probably isn't accurate, but it's the best way I can think of to describe what my radio is doing.

I'd be interested to see if others have experienced something similar. If anyone actually knows what the heck is actually going on with the software in this Bose unit, please let the rest of us mere mortals in on it.

ta206
02-18-07, 07:50 AM
What I have noticed is that two of my six preset stations have a tendency to change, but the other four don't. The ones that change will only change if I happen to be listening to them when I change bands (from FM to XM) or turn off the car or radio. When I go back to FM, it re-acquires the signal and changes from displaying the station to displaying part of the song title that is playing.

nikon
02-18-07, 02:20 PM
if you guys are doing it right rds wont mess with your presets anymore...mine stayed the same.

ta206
02-18-07, 07:52 PM
Yours stay the same? Since you're in WPB do me a favor. Set one of your FM stations to 102.7 and then switch to XM and back to FM and see what happens. If your indicator stays the same, then there's something wrong with my radio. If not, then you're in the same boat as the rest of us.