: i want a new muffler... problem here

lochenjons
02-07-07, 08:21 PM
okay so i recently got a dual chamber flowmaster for my caddy. sounds great. just a little too quiet for my liking. so i stopped down by the muffler shop where i had the work done and talked to the guy. i asked him if he could take a look so he did. he said that is the loudest it can legally be because of the catalytic converter stops a lot of the flow from going into the muffler. is there any way to bypass this? legally? unlegally? i just want a louder sound. have any of you guys encountered this problem? let me know if you guys got any ideas.

1985 fleetwood brougham big body

http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/1/web/2437000-2437999/2437587_19_full.jpg

thanks guys!

Old Fleetwood
02-07-07, 10:20 PM
Would removing the resonator make it noiser?
And what are those silly things we see under the bumpers of ricers that makes those little fart pipes so loud?

Cadillac Giovanni
02-07-07, 10:25 PM
Why on earth would you want a loud exhaust? I will forever be puzzled by this. I have strived to make my exhaust as silent as possible, because I think that the elegance of a low, resonating hum is far more desirable than a loud, rapping vibration.

However, in the spirit of helping my fellow Cadillac owners, I'll tell you what is up.

My car's catalytic converter became clogged, and to bypass it temporarily, I took it off and hollowed it out, beating the honeycomb mesh inside out of it with a crowbar. This, however, only creates a loudness in the chamber of the cat, which is quite annoying, being directly under the passenger's floor. This is illegal, although unless anyone takes off the catalytic converter and looks inside, nobody will know. Also, your car would probably not pass an emissions test if it had to.

Another option is to replace the catalytic converter with a plain length of exhaust pipe. This will pass the exhaust directly to the muffler, and most likely create more noise for you, but this is equally, if not more illegal than the above option, and no mechanic would do it for you because tampering with a catalytic converter is punishable by death. (or so i understand)

Those are some options. I'm not much on the performance exhaust scene, so I don't know as much as other's might, but I hope I helped out some.

Oh yeah, great car!

lochenjons
02-07-07, 10:48 PM
hey thanks guys, yeah that does help. i talked to a couple of other guys and they said going to a dual exhaust might help? any ideas on that?

Old Fleetwood
02-07-07, 11:05 PM
Have I got a deal for you!
Elias has a Borla system on his 96. And somewhere, downwind on this site, is a video clip, with SOUND of his car, including the sound of his CORVETTE STARTER and the sound of his BORLA EXHAUST both idling, backing, a bit of gently moving then blasting off.
It sounds great.
You might want to search for that particular location and give a listen.:yup:

lochenjons
02-07-07, 11:55 PM
and no it doesn't have a resinator on it

GenoTheLowrider
02-08-07, 01:42 AM
I have a dual exhaust on my 89 Bro and the muffler shop took the Converter off. It really has no purpose except for emissions. So if u dont have to pass an emissions test, then go head and get rid of it. I think Dual exhaust might help as well.....but I must agree with Cadillac Giovanni, why u wanna make the Caddy loud!!!??
--Geno TL

lochenjons
02-08-07, 02:35 AM
yeah thats what I was thinking... might as well contribute to global warming haha. i just love the sound of loud cars.

KaddyKat
02-09-07, 10:25 AM
cats are a big target for theives now, They crawl under a car in the parking lot cut it out and take it to recycle yards. To replace it is a very expensive
deal. They had a piece on the local news about it happening to a guys truck.

mortis08
02-09-07, 11:17 AM
Going to a true dual exhaust may be more trouble than its worth. I pretty sure on that year( as well as many others) that the trans crossmember has only one hump in it for single exhaust, so you would have to source a dual or customize the one in it. FWIW i too like the loud exhaust. I cut the cat out of my 90 Brougham and ran a single with a louder muffler. Cheap and it sounds good! :thumbsup:

Cadillac Giovanni
02-09-07, 12:38 PM
How can you manage to cut the cat out? Don't you still have to run emissions tests? Or do you have one of those "connections" that gets you stickers magically?

Old Fleetwood
02-09-07, 03:30 PM
I have to wonder that also. :hmm:
I thought every state HAD to have emissions tests or the feds yanked highway dollars from the state DOT's.

PhantomCadillac
02-09-07, 03:39 PM
Not in Florida. Certian areas like Jacksonville and Miami have emissions test. But not were I live.
Of course it is still illegal to remove the cat's. I know it use to be a $10,000 fine to the mechanic.

Destroyer
02-11-07, 10:33 AM
Going to a true dual exhaust may be more trouble than its worth. I pretty sure on that year( as well as many others) that the trans crossmember has only one hump in it for single exhaust, so you would have to source a dual or customize the one in it. FWIW i too like the loud exhaust. I cut the cat out of my 90 Brougham and ran a single with a louder muffler. Cheap and it sounds good! :thumbsup:
With mine I had both dual pipes run down one side instead of notching the crossmember. However, notching the crossmember is not a big deal but you can also get a cross member from a car that came with dual exhaust.

bicentennialcadillac
02-12-07, 12:06 AM
Thankfully, no testing whatsoever here in Kentucky.

GenoTheLowrider
02-12-07, 12:28 AM
I also have my dual exhaust ran the same way.........down one side. Here in Atlanta (and surrounding counties) we have to get test every year, but anywhere else in the state they dont do it. I register my car outside of Atlanta

turbocaddy
02-12-07, 08:09 PM
change out the flowmasters and put in glasspack straight cherry bomb muffler....it's a nice sound...with the cat on it...I even bypassed the muffler for several years and went with a straight pipe to the rear..single exhaust....

GenoTheLowrider
02-14-07, 10:32 PM
Yeah if you want loud, that Cherry Bomb will surely do the trick...

lochenjons
02-22-07, 06:50 PM
hey guys just an update to my situation:

i stopped by midas on the way home from work today (they couldnt take a look at it cause i took the truck) and i talked to the guy there. he told me that instead of having a dual chamber muffler (what i have now), he could put a single chamber flowmaster race muffler on there. he said that is the loudest they can do without removing the cat. i guess i could take the muffler off, but i heard from a couple people that it affects backpressure and burns your valves because the air shoots back into the pipe. i also heard that it doesnt affect the valves what so ever. i wish i could talk to someone who knows the truth... id rather have the cat on there because im due for a smog pretty soon, but i could always take it off anyways. what do you guys think about the race muffler? he also said that he could put another exhaust tip on it that might enhance the sound a little bit...

Motorboat
02-22-07, 06:56 PM
My Brougham is for nice days and formal nights. Hush is the operative word. For noise I use a a 1990 Supercharged 454SS Pickup.

lochenjons
02-22-07, 07:18 PM
well i like my cars loud and noisy. ive been raised in a family that never liekd anything quiet so i guess you could say it's in my blood

lochenjons
02-22-07, 08:03 PM
hmm maybe i should just take the cat off... how hard is that to do? does anyone ever get caught? my girlfriends dad just told me he would help me make it easy to take on and off

LAC-MAN
02-22-07, 09:02 PM
If I Remember Correctly There Is A Clamp Right After The Header Y-pipr And Anothe Clamp About 1 Foot After The Muffler. Remove These And It Should Come Off. As Long As It Isnt Factory Welded.

LAC-MAN
02-22-07, 09:03 PM
Also Just Take The Muffler Off If You Want It "loud"