: 6th Gear Low Frequency Vibration

jashearer
02-07-07, 06:22 PM
So just got my baby back from the dealership after she spent 3 days there...

I took it in to get a passenger side air deflector replaced (those knobs seem like an accident waiting to happen) that was broken when I bought the car.

Also the first time I had a passenger in the rear of my car they complained about a nasty exhaust drone... when the exhaust is stock, so after doing some research here I determined it was probably the transmission TSB...

The dealership spent the past couple of days diagnosing and trying to remedy the problem without a tranny swap to no avail... so they ordered a tranny and now its a waiting game.

Found out they also replaced an axle shaft seal and a pinion seal as well, I guess better to get it done now.

Jay

Dreamin
02-08-07, 02:28 AM
:welcome: to the forum!

So you got a new tranny or are waiting for one? If you're waiting, i bet the vibration goes away after the new tranny... if you already have a new tranny... what frequency is low? You can also search on "vibration"... lots of info on freeway / 6th gear vibration.

rand49er
02-08-07, 04:27 AM
:welcome:

Hope that dealer works out those kinks for you. Keep us updated.

ctsvflorida
02-08-07, 07:05 AM
Bahhh humbug!

jashearer
02-08-07, 08:36 AM
Waiting on the tranny. I got sick of driving the DTS loaner so I swapped them back for the weekend, since it will not be until tuesday or wednesday when the new tranny comes in.

Thanks for the kind welcome everybody. I've been a long time member on the corvette forum, and this place seems like its full of the same outstanding type of people :)

Woohoo!

The Tony Show
02-08-07, 08:54 AM
Woohoo, indeed. 99% of the people here are awesome, just be sure to avoid getting your embz jacked, and you'll be fine. :D

jashearer
02-12-07, 03:46 PM
Does anybody know what causes this?

Seems like a strange issues. My C5 also has a tremec, (granted not an M12) and I've never heard of any vettes having this issue...

Closer_2001
02-17-07, 12:33 PM
Does anybody know what causes this?

Seems like a strange issues. My C5 also has a tremec, (granted not an M12) and I've never heard of any vettes having this issue...

Please keep us informed...

I owned 2 C5s (01 and 02 Z) and a GTO that drove smooth as silk. My V always felt like the tires were out of balance. I replaced, dealer replaced, balanced, etc.

After basically replacing the whole driveline: Clutch, flywheel, driveshaft and rear...they gave up and GM bought back the car. For whatever reason, they would not replace the tranny despite the TSB! Oh well.

Good luck to you on this...I guarantee it is the tranny, Tremec ackowledges the issue, something to do with the 5-6 gear assembly.

CVP33
02-17-07, 02:49 PM
There are no problems with the transmissions. :bigroll:

jashearer
02-19-07, 08:27 AM
So I'm bringing this one back from the dead.

I picked up the car on Friday, and due to snow I haven't had a chance to drive it around at highway speeds (75-80) until last night.

Well the sound is almost non-existant from the front two seats, but its just as loud if not louder from the back seats now, regardless of gear... now it seems to be dependant upon speed... lame...

Any thoughts? Should I have them try to rebalance the driveshaft now?

Thanks for the help...

Jay

rlj5
02-19-07, 12:53 PM
If it vibrates in all gears it's probably the driveshaft needs reindexing.
When I had my tranny replaced for the 6th gear thing they tried reindexing the shaft first & it did make alotta difference in the vibration but wouldn't get rid of it. So I would assume reindexing or balancing the drive shaft

jashearer
02-19-07, 01:10 PM
So what exactly did your vibration entail?

Could you hear it in the driver/passenger seat. I can barely hear it in the front, but in the rear seats its like a subwoofer constantly reverberating.

I want to make sure I have the problem pinpointed as well, and that I'm not just drawing straws...

Thanks!
Jay

commander112
02-19-07, 07:02 PM
So what exactly did your vibration entail?

Could you hear it in the driver/passenger seat. I can barely hear it in the front, but in the rear seats its like a subwoofer constantly reverberating.

I want to make sure I have the problem pinpointed as well, and that I'm not just drawing straws...

Thanks!
Jay

Mine was droning on at a volume that would require me to turn up the stereo to drown it out. You could also feel it in the seat of your pants. Not horrible but annoying.

Mark

jashearer
02-19-07, 07:47 PM
thanks mark

any others?

jashearer
02-28-07, 11:06 PM
Well finally got my V taken back to the dealership.

I found out that they left the weights on the driveshaft, in their attempt to remedy the out of balance problem, before they decided to replace the transmission.

I told them to take the weights off that they decided to leave on there after replacing the transmission, and viola, the V is back on the road again and no more vibration. WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!

commander112
03-01-07, 09:20 AM
I am vibration and drone free as well!:thumbsup: Problem is the car is in the body shop now from being rear ended by an f-150.:rant2: It's not too bad bumper cover and some structure behind it.

Mark

lawfive
03-01-07, 12:11 PM
ja: yay!

commander: that sux!

bjohnso0
03-01-07, 09:21 PM
I had my trans replaced last September for a 6th gear vibration. 6th gear vibration is gone, but it has a 5th gear vibration between 55 and 65. I brought it back to them 4 times for the vibration in 5th and somehow they "can't duplicate the problem" (I'm sure none of you guys have heard that before) The 5th gear vibrations is getting worse, so I'll just wait until it gets really bad before I take it in. (to a different dealership!!!)

I think part of the problem is that I did trans and diff work for 14 years, 4 with GM. I pay too much attention to the everything.

Question, what is intailed in reindexing the driveshaft? Some caddy techs out there?

Closer_2001
05-29-07, 11:26 PM
I think part of the problem is that I did trans and diff work for 14 years, 4 with GM. I pay too much attention to the everything.

BS - make it right.

I lived with a buzzing Caddy for almost 2 years.

After GM replaced my V, I bought a DD '98 Honda Accord EX-V6 for $7k. Threw fresh rubber on it...drives smooth as silk, no vibrations at 90 on the hwy. Don't put up with accepting bizarre harmonics on a $50k, 400 Hp luxury sedan.