: Sat in 2008 Pontiac G8; would CTS-V owners be interested in this car?

mkaresh
02-07-07, 05:31 PM
I just had a chance to sit in the upcoming Pontiac G8 at the Detroit show. Very roomy and comfortable, with materials better than expected. A 6.0-liter V8 will be available with both manual and automatic.

My full impressions here:

http://www.truedelta.com/blog/?p=33

I'd guess that the V8 would max out in the high 30s, maybe 40. Pricing probably close to the big Chrysler sedans, but with a much nicer interior.

Makes me wonder how many Cadillac CTS-V owners might defect. The new CTS-V, when it becomes available, will be even nicer inside and probably have about 500 horsepower. But the price will also be much higher.

Handling could be a big difference.

dvandentop
02-07-07, 07:09 PM
looks real nice!

rand49er
02-07-07, 08:27 PM
GM's offerings are certainly getting interesting.

I'm sure GM will position these cars properly with minimal overlap.

Sure makes a case for getting a maggie for those of us who intend to keep our current V's. :thumbsup:

mdc
02-07-07, 09:24 PM
Still looks a little too "Pontiac-y" for my tastes ... never a big fan

04CTSVFLA
02-07-07, 10:34 PM
looks like a newer version of that "fast" altima kinda

thebigjimsho
02-07-07, 10:43 PM
Me likey! It would make a great daily driver and a car that would ebb the need of driving the V in the winter.

Vdrenaline
02-07-07, 10:50 PM
The Holden is based on the current V. They made a much nicer interior. The G8 is based on the Holden. There was a big article on it in Autoweek last year. It seems like a V highly discounted and without the prestige of the Caddy nameplate. If they fixed the rear diff, they have a big winner. A V for 1/3 less. I would get one -and Maggie it! -But I live in snobby Greenwich CT and so I will likely succumb to peer pressure of having a "luxury" brand and get the new V when it comes out. I'll justify the extra cost because of the 500+HP engine.

90Brougham350
02-07-07, 10:54 PM
The G8 is a great-looking sedan, but it'll be interesting to see what people think once the redesigned RWD Impala is released.

Imperator
02-07-07, 11:00 PM
I like the G8 so much I can't figure out whether I should hold onto my car for the year or more I'll have to wait on it. Hoping for a 450HP GXP with the LS3.

CTS NV
02-07-07, 11:40 PM
If the performance is close to the current V, I'm absolutely interested --especially if the G8 can put it's power to the ground more efficiently and has a more reliable diff.

On paper, it looks really good...but so does the 2008 CTS. I would expect to drive both and decide.

I would say one apparent downside to the G8 is that it's a Pontiac. I could care less about the snob appeal, but the service/sales experience and loaner car choices may be a step down from Cadillac.

mkaresh
02-08-07, 12:30 AM
I don't think this is based on the current CTS, but these things are rarely clear. Technically Zeta is a separate, less sophisticated platform than Sigma, but I suppose they could have borrowed some aspects from Sigma. I doubt it will handle as well as a CTS.

There will be two diffs, a regular diff standard and a limited slip as part of a Sport Package.

Oddly, it hadn't crossed my mind that there'd be a GXP, but of course there will be. They keep talking about how every Pontiac's going to have a GXP. And since they've only announced a Base and a GT...

They could later add both a GTP and a GXP, but at least a GXP.

The big difference aside from the brand and level of luxury (the 2008 CTS interior is outstanding) is the size. The STS should have been this roomy. The G8 has a huge, comfortable rear seat. It's a large car. Exterior is 196 inches long, curb weight with the V8 is close to 4,000 pounds.

There is something hot about have a six-speed manual in such a big car. Is there any other 196-inch-long car that offers a manual? (Trucks don't count.)

v84life
02-08-07, 01:47 AM
It's a great time to be a car guy and a GM guy. The product thats coming oh my, this is just a scratch.The next 2-3 years are looking up for GM.:D

ctsvflorida
02-08-07, 07:00 AM
-But I live in snobby Greenwich CT and so I will likely succumb to peer pressure of having a "luxury" brand and get the new V when it comes out. I'll justify the extra cost because of the 500+HP engine.

They may throw you out of Greenwich if you drive a Pontiac! LOL

I personally think Pontiac's interiors are pretty good and styling is always good so I will look into this G8 but I don't think that it will be that fast! I'd like to see actual price and performance figures.

RobertCTS
02-08-07, 10:02 AM
If the performance is close to the current V, I'm absolutely interested --especially if the G8 can put it's power to the ground more efficiently and has a more reliable diff.

On paper, it looks really good...but so does the 2008 CTS. I would expect to drive both and decide.

I would say one apparent downside to the G8 is that it's a Pontiac. I could care less about the snob appeal, but the service/sales experience and loaner car choices may be a step down from Cadillac.

My dealership is Cadillac, Pontiac & GMC. So the service would be the same.

kgoch
02-08-07, 12:34 PM
If it uses the same componets as the GTO it will wheel hop like a jackrabit.
I rode with a guy with a maggied GTO, it went like hell but wheel hopped worse that my V.

Koooop
02-08-07, 02:15 PM
They may throw you out of Greenwich if you drive a Pontiac! LOL

I personally think Pontiac's interiors are pretty good and styling is always good so I will look into this G8 but I don't think that it will be that fast! I'd like to see actual price and performance figures.

The welcome mat isn't out for my Cadillac in Newport Beach. F.:.. those snobs...

If that pontiyack hits the streets it's very likely that one will be in front of my house.

BAD YACK, Yup, even has the potential for a good license plate.

Vdrenaline
02-08-07, 11:42 PM
The welcome mat isn't out for my Cadillac in Newport Beach. F.:.. those snobs...

If that pontiyack hits the streets it's very likely that one will be in front of my house.

BAD YACK, Yup, even has the potential for a good license plate.

I totally agree: "F" those snobs.
After ordering and rejecting an RS6 when it arrived (shifted too slow and felt too heavy for me) and driving every AMG, M and all the other high performance monsters, I was THIS CLOSE to getting a WRX Sti cause it was so fun and such a smokin deal. Ultimately I couldn't bring myself to making my wife park on Greenwich Avenue with the huge rear wing and cloth blue seats. (OK the truth is I wanted to have sex again in this lifetime). So as much as I loved the Subie, I decided the monster LS6 would make me smile just as much and the Caddy name would make my wife feel good about driving it. The irony is my snobby A-hole friends all think I'm nuts for not driving a German car. They smile politely whenever I am telling them how great the V is but they are also barely containing smirks. They think I am an odd curiosity for loving an American car as much as I do. A couple of them have come around, but not most.
Glad I got the V. I smile every single time I drive it. I have dusted several RS6's in toolbooth races and Caddy's technology is better than Audi's. I really love my V and will get the new one as soon as it is available.

mocts
02-08-07, 11:50 PM
bob lutz said on the press conference that the v8 will do 0-60 in under 5.5 seconds

90Brougham350
02-08-07, 11:51 PM

Naturally. A Pontiac isn't nearly the same car as a Cadillac, in terms of quality, design, or service. However, the gap in these things has closed significantly since the 60's or 70's.

96Fleetwood
02-09-07, 09:08 AM
I plan on retiring the Fleetwood from daily driving duty in 1.5 years.

My top two choices are a used CTS-V or a new Pontiac G8 :highfive:

04CTSVforMe
02-09-07, 01:08 PM
My dealership is Cadillac, Pontiac & GMC. So the service would be the same.

Are you sure? They give loaner cars to G6 owners as readily as Caddy owners? You might test those waters...

I like the G8 and I'm glad to see GM broadening the Holden cars' availability.

I wish Pontiac would realize that not EVERY car needs dual hood scoops.

I would probably not buy one because my experience with Pontiac dealers in my area is complete crap for both sales and service...and I own a 1st 1000 Solstice. Hmmm...:cookoo:

mkaresh
02-09-07, 02:28 PM
I posted this thread half-expecting major flames. On the other hand, I thought many CTS-V owners might find the new car appealiing.

I'm glad I posted it, very good discussion. With unexpectedly high interest in the G8.

People sent me questions about the G8 after I sat in it, so I went and checked it out again right before leaving the show. This required a Bold Move, as the car was up on one of the revolving platforms.

This second, more relaxed inspection determined that while the interior ambiance is far from upscale, even with all the stitching, nothing actually looks or feels cheap, at least not to me.

Full account of this second impression:

http://www.truedelta.com/blog/?p=36

I also added my impression of the car's size to my original blog entry. Subjectively, I'd say it seems about as large as the current Impala, even though it's not quite as long. It seems maybe a bit larger than the STS, but definitely not as large as the DTS.

96Fleetwood
02-09-07, 05:49 PM
I liked it, it looks bigger than the CTS-V. Here are a few pictures I took at the Chicago auto show today:

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u186/elias_nicole/chicagoautoshow/Picture004.jpg

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u186/elias_nicole/chicagoautoshow/Picture003.jpg

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u186/elias_nicole/chicagoautoshow/Picture002.jpg

Koooop
02-09-07, 06:43 PM
Are the seats as nice as those in the LS2 GTO? Those are much nicer than the seats in the current V.

How does the interior compare to the new CTS? (If there was a CTS there)

HiTechRV
02-10-07, 10:48 PM
Could easily be one in my future. Anyone know the release date? I could see a G8 then a next gen V. Is the G8 an LS2? Why does it have <400 hp?

LS1Mike
02-10-07, 11:20 PM
Yes an automatic! My wife will drive that and we will have one!
I have the WS6 for my 6 speed fix.
I thought it was GM policy to give you a loaner if your car was in for original factory warranty work. They always did it with my Silverado.

LUVMY04V
02-11-07, 12:49 AM
I liked it, it looks bigger than the CTS-V. Here are a few pictures I took at the Chicago auto show today:

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u186/elias_nicole/chicagoautoshow/Picture004.jpg

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u186/elias_nicole/chicagoautoshow/Picture003.jpg

http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u186/elias_nicole/chicagoautoshow/Picture002.jpgI was there too but we didnt get to sit in it :( but yeah with that holden bumper and a nav that thing would be awsome

here was my favorite from today http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f321/brentman2006/0210071536.jpg
and faorite concept
The Lexus By far http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f321/brentman2006/0210071519.jpg

and the new is300 "F"

Unreal but I doubt the wheel gap will be that small in production but the color and the car Beautiful
http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f321/brentman2006/0210071530.jpg
But you gotta see all of them in person pictures dont do them justice

espically in person the cts look amazing......I was very skeptical from the pics I saw.....but caddy has made me a believer.....It will again be a "breakthrough" car for cadillac esecially focusing on quality interiors it will be a nicer interior than the 08 sts-v and xlr-v which is crazy that the 40,000 dollar car is more quality than the 100 but i really think it will be a well known fact.....this also makes me very excited because caddy has set their own bar obnixously high for their higher end models in 09.......it is genious really.....just like in 03.....start the change a year in advance on the lower end models and use it as a building block for the rest while appealing to a broad market during the process through affordability.

p.s you can totally tell cadillac benchmarked infinity's interiors scheme but in no way is that depressing to me :cool:

Written by Brent Hueber :D

Got5onit
02-14-07, 04:05 PM
I love the new G8 and would take one over my V if the rear end is known to be solid.
Does anyone know why the G8 has less than 400hp? Another article I read on the new G8 states it has a corvette inspired powerplant? Is it an LS2 underrated for the sake of not hurting the feelings of the Vette & V guys?

96Fleetwood
02-14-07, 04:16 PM
Actually I heard the G8 will have a 6.0 liter Vortec derived motor with 362 horsepower.. not the LS2.

Got5onit
02-14-07, 04:47 PM
Actually I heard the G8 will have a 6.0 liter Vortec derived motor with 362 horsepower.. not the LS2.

Hmmm, the article did mention "corvette". Similar bottom end, different heads maybe?

Koooop
02-14-07, 06:11 PM
362 is pretty stout, but if it don't have 400+ HP why own it?

or

If it doesn't have 400HP it must be your wife's car.

(I'd probably go with it anyway, that car looks cool)

96Fleetwood
02-14-07, 06:24 PM
I am sure with a simple tune, CAI, headers, and good exhaust will make it well over 400 hp :thumbsup:

Got5onit
02-14-07, 08:09 PM
The car looks better than a V, IMO. I'm sure GM will find a way to squeeze an LS7 in it. :stirpot:

HiTechRV
02-14-07, 09:30 PM

It's the L76, a Holden variant of the Vortec 6.0.

japx
02-15-07, 07:27 AM
If Pontiac can delivery this Holden as a coupe. My V might be gone in sixty seconds. My 05 GTO is a way better car than my 06 CTS-V normally but at $20K less its far superior. The V seems to left behind the normal Cadillac goodies (I.E. power telescope steering wheel, full leather seats, rear heated seats, rear pwr door lock switch, rear heat/AC vents, etc). Its very disappointing these 'little things' were left off of the CTS platform altogether. I thought I could live without these 'little things', but I am starting to miss them, and it appears that Cadillac is still not serious about its small car platform. Thet still want you to purchase a larger STS for the good stuff, and for me the STS is simply too big.