: How to paint new cross drilled rotors

rlj5
02-07-07, 10:44 AM
Just got my new factory cross-drilled rotors & hawk pads from Lindsay .
Apparently they have a coating on them that has to be chemically removed by the dealership when they do the brake job.
I want to paint the rotors with high temp paint before install . The question is can I paint over this coating & the dealer only remove the pad area or do I need to let them remove the coating before I do the paint ?

04CTSVFLA
02-07-07, 10:53 AM
youll probably have to let them remove the coating. I would at least.....call the manufacturer of the brakes.

ssmith100
02-07-07, 11:16 AM
The coating doesn't have to be removed. The new brake shoes will remove the very thin layer of coating of the rotor and "will not" hurt the pad.

You will have to tape up the rotor to paint though and it takes a little while. What I did was tape about an 1/8" over the edge of the rotor hat and the edge of the fins and scuffed the hats down with a scotch brite pad. I sprayed three light coats of VHT high temp silver on them and let dry. On the fins I lightly scuffed and sprayed the same. When the brakes first seat it may take a small edge of the paint but in turn will then make a perfect circle around the hat. Mine have been done for over a year now and still look brand new. Hope all that made sense.

Shane

ZEUSROTTY
02-07-07, 11:35 AM
wouldnt brake parts cleaner work?

mkaresh
02-07-07, 04:34 PM
Painting rotors is news to me. Won't the paint quickly get worn off, and possibly reduce brake performance before it does so?

ssmith100
02-07-07, 04:59 PM
We're talking about painting the hats and fins on the rotors, not the rotors themselves. The factory protective covering will eventtually start to fade away and the hats will rust. Painting them keeps them looking like new. This is a pic of my original factory rotor painted before I got the cross drilled.

Shane

onebadcad
02-07-07, 04:59 PM
If you are going to paint them yourself, here is a good product.
http://www.nationalfleetparts.com/detail.asp?product_id=vht_paint
A word of advice on how to do it right. Suspend the rotors in air or place them on blocks. The first time I did mine it was on cardboard, I waited a full day to do the other side as a preventative against rust, but this will cause the newly applied coat to run/bleed onto the cardboard ruining your dry side-yes, it was a dumba$$ move on my part. Remember you are not painting the entire rotor, only the hat, which is the inside of the rotor which the pads never touch. Shane is the foremost expert on the Forum regarding this, seek his advice.

ssmith100
02-07-07, 07:12 PM
Found some pics after the cross drilled's were painted.

Shane