: Sqeaking seats?

ijsegurola
02-07-07, 10:18 AM
I've had a 2006 STS V6 since April that has developed squeaking noises in the driver seat whenever I sit or move around in the seat....

I'm 6'1" 250lbs and I'm sure my weight doesn't help http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/images/smilies/beatdeadhorse.gif
:horse: but it seems kinda early to have this problem....

Anyone else experience this and/or have a fix?

Kadonny
02-07-07, 10:25 AM
I have the same thing in my 07 STS-V. I only have 1500 miles on it too.

I will address this at the dealership when I take it in for my first oil change. I have determined that it is in the seatback not the actual seat itself and it only happens when the seatback leans to the left on right hand turns and such. Mine is more of a creaking noise than a squeak.

Is your noise similar?

caddi2005sts
02-07-07, 12:38 PM
Min2 2005 sts does it also, I just got the car last month. Also waiting for the first oil change.. Is it fixable????

zzzasy
02-07-07, 03:14 PM
Are the oil changes free from the dealer or something? I would assume that there would be a pretty big markup in the price of having the dealer change 8+ quarts of synthetic oil. I ask because I'm waiting for my change oil light to come on. I've put over 7000 miles on the car and the light has not come on yet. Don't want to steal your thread, but I'm just curious.

thank you,

zzzasy
'05 STS

Kadonny
02-07-07, 03:25 PM
Oil changes are not free, but they are a good excuse to to to the dealer to get other stuff fixed for warranty. No matter where you go the oil changes will be expensive so why not just go to the dealer and kill 2 birds with one stone.

On the seat thing, I have no idea if it is fixable, but I will sure get them to look at it. Again I have only 1500 miles on my car so I assume they will take care of it to my satisfaction. I'll let you all know if I find anything out.

ijsegurola
02-07-07, 04:18 PM
Yes, my noise is more of a creaking also...seems like it's coming from the pivot point where the seatback meets the bottom cushion...

Also when there's a side to side motion....

malcolm
02-09-07, 09:19 AM
Check this out for seat problems.

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/stsfaq/tsb/data/tsb/05-08-50-007.pdf

ijsegurola
02-09-07, 10:00 AM
THANK YOU! but do you know if this also applies to the driver seat? :worship:

Kadonny
02-09-07, 02:40 PM
That has to be different. That is for the seat when unoccupied, our noise is when occupied.

But thanks anyway.

STS2002
02-09-07, 04:56 PM
Hey guys...this is the TSB Number, Issue date and description. Sorry I don't have the full TSB.

TSB Number and Issue Date TSB Title
06-08-50-010 SEP 06 Interior - Front Seat Cushion Pops/Creaks/Moves

ijsegurola
02-09-07, 05:02 PM
AWESOME...thanks for the help....I'lll try it out on my local dealer...

malcolm
02-09-07, 05:19 PM
It also applies to the driver seat. The driver's seat in my 05 had it and it drove me crazy. The seat also rocked a bit. Dealer fixed it per TSB no trouble since.

Kadonny
02-12-07, 08:49 AM
Thanks for the TSB!

Can anyone get the full information on it?

If not, I'll just take that number to the dealer with me. Thanks guys.

malcolm
02-14-07, 12:56 PM
Document ID# 1656299
2005 Cadillac STS
Chirp/Rattle Noise in Passenger Front Seat
(Straighten Metal on Number 2 Floorpan Bar) #05-
08-50-007 - (May 9, 2005)
Chirp/Rattle Noise in Passenger Front Seat (Straighten Metal On #2 Floorpan Bar)
2005 Cadillac STS
Condition
Some customers may comment on a chirp or rattle noise from the front seat frame area. This condition
may be noticed more on the passenger side of the vehicle when the seat is not occupied. Customers may
also comment that the front seat rocks or moves when braking or cornering.
Cause
The #2 floorpan bar may have become deformed upward during seat installation at the assembly plant,
which allows the seat to move slightly in the vertical direction.
Correction
1. Remove the front seat following SI Document ID #757149.
2. Prop the carpet up and out of the way so that the front outboard slotted attaching hole is exposed.
3. Inspect the outboard slotted area of the #2 bar for upward deformation.
4. With a hammer and block of wood, straighten the metal deformation.
5. Put the carpet back in place and reinstall the seat following SI Document ID #757149.
Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:
<- Back Forward -> Feedback Print
Service Information
Labor Operation Description Labor Time
C6790 Seat Assembly, Passenger - R&R 0.4 hr
GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They
are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to
provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained
technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly
and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle,
or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether
your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT
VOLUNTARY
TECHNICIAN
CERTIFICATION
&#169; Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
Document ID# 1656299
2005 Cadillac STS <- Back Forward -> Feedback Print

STS2002
02-14-07, 02:54 PM
Document ID# 1656299
2005 Cadillac STS
Chirp/Rattle Noise in Passenger Front Seat
(Straighten Metal on Number 2 Floorpan Bar) #05-
08-50-007 - (May 9, 2005)
Chirp/Rattle Noise in Passenger Front Seat (Straighten Metal On #2 Floorpan Bar)
2005 Cadillac STS
Condition
Some customers may comment on a chirp or rattle noise from the front seat frame area. This condition
may be noticed more on the passenger side of the vehicle when the seat is not occupied. Customers may
also comment that the front seat rocks or moves when braking or cornering.
Cause
The #2 floorpan bar may have become deformed upward during seat installation at the assembly plant,
which allows the seat to move slightly in the vertical direction.
Correction
1. Remove the front seat following SI Document ID #757149.
2. Prop the carpet up and out of the way so that the front outboard slotted attaching hole is exposed.
3. Inspect the outboard slotted area of the #2 bar for upward deformation.
4. With a hammer and block of wood, straighten the metal deformation.
5. Put the carpet back in place and reinstall the seat following SI Document ID #757149.
Warranty Information
For vehicles repaired under warranty, use:
<- Back Forward -> Feedback Print
Service Information
Labor Operation Description Labor Time
C6790 Seat Assembly, Passenger - R&R 0.4 hr
GM bulletins are intended for use by professional technicians, NOT a "do-it-yourselfer". They
are written to inform these technicians of conditions that may occur on some vehicles, or to
provide information that could assist in the proper service of a vehicle. Properly trained
technicians have the equipment, tools, safety instructions, and know-how to do a job properly
and safely. If a condition is described, DO NOT assume that the bulletin applies to your vehicle,
or that your vehicle will have that condition. See your GM dealer for information on whether
your vehicle may benefit from the information.
WE SUPPORT
VOLUNTARY
TECHNICIAN
CERTIFICATION
Copyright General Motors Corporation. All Rights Reserved.
Document ID# 1656299
2005 Cadillac STS <- Back Forward -> Feedback Print

This is for the passenger seat. The TSB I posted is for the driver's seat.

ijsegurola
02-14-07, 03:01 PM
Man I love this forum......:thumbsup:

macklobell
02-14-07, 03:41 PM
What is the document number for the driver's seat? Thanks.

lbwd
02-14-07, 04:25 PM
LOL :lol: I have the EXACT SAME noise in my 1996 STS! It goes away if you bounce on it for a min. Not too hard... just squish around, you know...

malcolm
02-15-07, 09:18 AM
It's the same problem for either side. I have not seen a specific TSB for drivers seat. I had the problem in my 05 STS drivers seat and took the passenger seat TSB to the dealer and thry had no trouble fixing it while I waited.

STS2002
02-15-07, 09:44 AM
What is the document number for the driver's seat? Thanks.

This is what I found regarding the sqeaking driver's seat. It's a different one than what you posted. I'm pretty sure this is the one to cover the problem with the driver's seat. I don't have a document number.

TSB Number : 06-08-50-010
Issued Sept 06
Description: Interior - Front Seat Cushion Pops/Creaks/Moves

Kadonny
02-15-07, 02:20 PM
Well I ended up getting it on the STS-V forum courtesy of James @ Lindsay Cadillac.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-v-series-forum/98830-tsb-can-anyone-get-me-full.html

Enjoy, I have already printed it and am taking it in the next (first) service visit.

STS2002
02-15-07, 02:28 PM
Well I ended up getting it on the STS-V forum courtesy of James @ Lindsay Cadillac.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-sts-v-series-forum/98830-tsb-can-anyone-get-me-full.html

Enjoy, I have already printed it and am taking it in the next (first) service visit.

Thanks for researching that! It's good to know people. :) Let me know how it goes at the dealer and how the results are!

Curious George
02-22-07, 02:34 PM
Thank you STS2002. I've had this squeaking and motion for months, and the service dept has said "can't duplicate". I'll wave this TSB # in the service writer's face next time I go in.

ijsegurola
02-22-07, 08:21 PM
I've already learned my lesson...if I have a problem with my STS I post here BEFORE going to the dealership....

Like that I know they can't brush me off with a "can't duplicate" and I wont waste my time

STS2002
02-23-07, 10:15 AM
Thank you STS2002. I've had this squeaking and motion for months, and the service dept has said "can't duplicate". I'll wave this TSB # in the service writer's face next time I go in.

No problem! :) Good luck at the dealer....let me know how it goes!