: Pontiac G8 vs. 2008 CTS

MemberX
02-07-07, 08:05 AM
It should be here early next year. V6 should start at $25K and V8 at 35K. You can get a V8 for the price of next gen. CTS V6. I know it's not a Cadillac but the car is a good value.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44542

RobertCTS
02-07-07, 08:10 AM
I bet this thread gets booted to the lounge.:yup:

MemberX
02-07-07, 08:29 AM
I bet this thread gets booted to the lounge.:yup:

You got nothing to say about the car?:thepan:

Caddy Man
02-07-07, 08:29 AM
There is already a G8 thread in the Lounge.

MemberX
02-07-07, 08:40 AM
Sorry.:hide:

chico
02-07-07, 08:41 AM
It should be here early next year. V6 should start at $25K and V8 at 35K. You can get a V8 for the price of next gen. CTS V6. I know it's not a Cadillac but the car is a good value.

http://www.gminsidenews.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44542

nah...:yawn:

BishopRuger
02-07-07, 08:47 AM
This new G8 looks fantastic, I like it alot. The interior is (imo) is way better then the current CTS and probably one of the best interiors GM as produced, second to the Nex Gen CTS of course. And man, its gonna be available with the 362hp & 391 lb.-ft. of torque, crazy. That's more then the 08 CTS!! Even the base model G8 with a V6 has 261hp.

RobertCTS
02-07-07, 08:49 AM
You got nothing to say about the car?

This a duplicate thread. You can find it already in the lounge. No sense in saying it twice.:thepan:

nickc50310
02-07-07, 08:51 AM
Wow, that shit is BAD!! Maybe once those hit the used market I might be lined up to get a fully loaded V8 version to replace my current CTS.....

I will still have a CTS in the stable, though!!

MemberX
02-07-07, 08:54 AM
Even the base model G8 with a V6 has 261hp.

Yeah, that's because it has the same engine as the one in our cars.

mocts
02-07-07, 10:47 AM
Yeah, that's because it has the same engine as the one in our cars.

though the base model comes in at around 3885 pounds which is almost 400 pounds heavier than a cts. its only 44 pounds lighter than an sts so i believe the performance for the 261hp engine will be very similar to that of the sts and not the cts.

Kael
02-07-07, 11:03 AM
I say we keep this here. the G8 thread in the lounge is a general discussion.

This thread is a specific discussion about the comparison of the new g8 vs the new o8 cts and the possibilities of future ownership of both vehicles.

the G8 is actually the replacment for the current grand prix line.
I owned a 97 gtp grand prix and I would probably own a grand prix if gm hadnt changed the body style to the current look which is... pathetic.

This G8 is a holden rebody, has some edgy styling and is available in RWD with a V-8 and all the bells and whistles most people actually want in a car.

oh special note in the grand prix line there are several levels of packages.
the SE (base model v-6)
the GT (in this case the v-8)
The GTP (in the old series this meant a supercharger)
the GXP (god car, currently its a v-8 in the current model and a LOT of upgrades)

I would look for a GXP version of this car in the second year of production, possibly a supercharged version.

In person the G8 looks a lot like a bmw M series, the pics really dont do it justice.

Kael
02-07-07, 11:10 AM
alright, here are pics of the commodore from holden that shows a side shot and just how squared off the nose is

http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/action/modeloverview?modelid=4006

LUVMY04V
02-07-07, 11:52 AM
alright, here are pics of the commodore from holden that shows a side shot and just how squared off the nose is

http://www.holden.com.au/www-holden/action/modeloverview?modelid=4006

dude i would buy that front end and some rims if i got that car and it would be sick!!

DABEARS
02-07-07, 12:01 PM
This looks great, hopefully the V8 will drop in price a little, I am already planning on trading in my cts for the new camaro, this or the new altima..not sure which yet...just as long as its NOT A CADILLAC i should be ok...

LUVMY04V
02-07-07, 12:43 PM
This looks great, hopefully the V8 will drop in price a little, I am already planning on trading in my cts for the new camaro, this or the new altima..not sure which yet...just as long as its NOT A CADILLAC i should be ok...
Boo this man !!

Flyin-Ryan
02-07-07, 01:16 PM
I am already planning on trading in my cts for the new camaro, this or the new altima..not sure which yet

Hmmm tough choice :histeric:

Kael
02-07-07, 01:46 PM
"dude i would buy that front end and some rims if i got that car and it would be sick!!"

actually you can.
the front end and the rims are all GM parts that you can order direct.

neat huh.

LUVMY04V
02-07-07, 01:48 PM
"dude i would buy that front end and some rims if i got that car and it would be sick!!"

actually you can.
the front end and the rims are all GM parts that you can order direct.

neat huh.i figured as much it looked bolt on and yes very Neat!!!!
I dont think i would get the holden rims though...i would go aftermarket

MemberX
02-07-07, 04:18 PM
though the base model comes in at around 3885 pounds which is almost 400 pounds heavier than a cts. its only 44 pounds lighter than an sts so i believe the performance for the 261hp engine will be very similar to that of the sts and not the cts.

True, but why don't we compare this car to the new CTS, isn't the new CTS almost 4000 lbs.? So, in a year or so this car should be slightly lighter and come with ~40hp less. Based on that it will be slightly slower but the base price will be ~$10k less also. So the question is, are you willing to pay $10K for ~10% increase in performance? I think I would keep my money. Of course, there is more to it than just HP, one car is Cadillac and the other one is a Pontiac.

My bad, the new base CTS is not coming with the DI engine, so the hp will be the same as in the G8.

Lord Cadillac
02-07-07, 05:37 PM
Any G8 fanatics care to pass by www.pontiacowners.com and spread the word?

gothicaleigh
02-07-07, 09:35 PM
True, but why don't we compare this car to the new CTS, isn't the new CTS almost 4000 lbs.?

2 reasons:

1)The Holden Commodore, Pontiac G8, and Cadillac Catera are on a similar platform.
The CTS is Sigma. This is what Cadillac replaced the Catera with because the previous platform did not compete.

2)Hand crafted interior.

There is no comparing the two.
The G8 looks like it is going to be a nice car, and definately a step in the right direction for Pontiac. But it's no CTS.

illumina
02-07-07, 11:36 PM
Not bad for what looks like a reliable BMW...Sorta...

MemberX
02-07-07, 11:47 PM
2 reasons:

1)The Holden Commodore, Pontiac G8, and Cadillac Catera are on a similar platform.
The CTS is Sigma. This is what Cadillac replaced the Catera with because the previous platform did not compete.
The platform used for the Catera has nothing to do with a brand new Zeta platform used for the G8. This is a completely new platform which will be used for the Camaro and next gen. Impala, among other vehicles.

2)Hand crafted interior.

There is no comparing the two.
The G8 looks like it is going to be a nice car, and definitely a step in the right direction for Pontiac. But it's no CTS.

Overall the CTS is a nicer vehicle, but my question is is it ~$10k nicer?

RichCTS
02-07-07, 11:52 PM
keep it

RobertCTS
02-08-07, 05:13 AM
Looks like it was a little slow getting to the here.:p

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-11-07, 10:11 AM
Is that a manual transmission in a full sized Pontiac sedan?

Good god, GM is really getting their shit together!