: Headlamp Washers

john d
02-06-07, 09:02 PM
Has anyone used the headlamp washers and if so how well do they work?

RunningOnEMT
02-06-07, 09:08 PM
if they are anything like the ones on my CTS-V they work whenever the headlights are on and you wash the windshield... i know mine work QUITE well...

GMJim
02-07-07, 05:23 AM
They work awesome. As posted, the headlamps must be on to get the headlamps washed. If you are low on fluid, just the windshield will be washed.
I love em!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

TSS
02-07-07, 07:12 AM
Right - they automatically come on when the lights are on and you hit the windshield wash switch.

They do work well, but personally, I hate them. My SRX is white. The fluid is green or blue. It splatters all over the front end and looks like I got hit by a childs watercolor set. I have looked for clear or even yellow fluid with no luck. My solution is that if the car is realatively clean, but I need to wash the windsheild, I override the auto headlights. Once they are off, problem solved. After the windshied is washed, I then turn them back on auto.

Futher, I don't like the way they look. SRXs without them look better to me.

Also, don't use them in your garage. In mine, I park very close to a side wall and the fluid over-sprays onto the wall a little bit. YES, they are aimed correctly - they are just such a high pressure that there is splattering.

DOES ANYBODY KNOW A QUICK AND EASY WAY TO PERMANENTLY DISABLE THEM?

RunningOnEMT
02-07-07, 07:19 AM
Right - they automatically come on when the lights are on and you hit the windshield wash switch.

They do work well, but personally, I hate them. My SRX is white. The fluid is green or blue. It splatters all over the front end and looks like I got hit by a childs watercolor set. I have looked for clear or even yellow fluid with no luck. My solution is that if the car is realatively clean, but I need to wash the windsheild, I override the auto headlights. Once they are off, problem solved. After the windshied is washed, I then turn them back on auto.

Futher, I don't like the way they look. SRXs without them look better to me.

Also, don't use them in your garage. In mine, I park very close to a side wall and the fluid over-sprays onto the wall a little bit. YES, they are aimed correctly - they are just such a high pressure that there is splattering.

DOES ANYBODY KNOW A QUICK AND EASY WAY TO PERMANENTLY DISABLE THEM?
advance auto sells the PIAA windshield washer fluid ... its neon orange, and they even have yellow

donjumpsuit
02-07-07, 10:04 AM
Their is definitely a servo that operates them, which means they run on electricity. Short of clipping any wires that run to them, you could pull a fuse.

n7don_srx
02-07-07, 11:44 AM
TTS
"DOES ANYBODY KNOW A QUICK AND EASY WAY TO PERMANENTLY DISABLE THEM?"

The lamp washer appears to have it's own pump. Might be a quick fix to just unplug it. Risk is it might set a DTC but should be benign and reset if you plugged it back in.

TSS
02-07-07, 11:54 AM
I may try the yellow fluid suggestion first because, as I indicated before ranting, they do work well when you want them or don't care about the splatter because the car is already dirty.

Thanks for all the suggestions though!

n7don_srx
02-07-07, 12:03 PM
I may try the yellow fluid suggestion first because, as I indicated before ranting, they do work well when you want them or don't care about the splatter because the car is already dirty.

Thanks for all the suggestions though!

Good Plan A.... after reading some more, the fender well has to be removed to get to it. I can't even see it from the top side.

Northern SRX
02-07-07, 07:05 PM
As stated above, the headlamp washers work extremely well - so well, in fact, that the Xenons appear sufficiently brighter that oncoming cars flash their highbeams even more frequently in sloppy weather.

In my first winter with the SRX, I had problems with the nozzles not retracting - both were replaced and lubricated and I have had no such problems that past 2 winters. :yup:

As for the fluid colour debate, I recently switched to a windshield fluid manufactured by Rain-X and it is decidedly yellow in colour as is rated to -40F.

Smokin' SRX
02-14-07, 01:28 PM
As stated above, the headlamp washers work extremely well - so well, in fact, that the Xenons appear sufficiently brighter that oncoming cars flash their highbeams even more frequently in sloppy weather.

In my first winter with the SRX, I had problems with the nozzles not retracting - both were replaced and lubricated and I have had no such problems that past 2 winters. :yup:

As for the fluid colour debate, I recently switched to a windshield fluid manufactured by Rain-X and it is decidedly yellow in colour as is rated to -40F.

So you're the guy blinding me! :thepan:

:) I adjusted mine easily through the holes, above the headlites (visable with hood up only!) and a long allen key! Took minutes and used my driveway & garage door. Any flat surface and wall, will do! Looks even better coming down the road now!

mjk
02-14-07, 02:21 PM
Are headlamp washers standard or was it an option (04 v6)??

Northern SRX
02-15-07, 01:59 AM
So you're the guy blinding me! :thepan:

:) I adjusted mine easily through the holes, above the headlites (visable with hood up only!) and a long allen key! Took minutes and used my driveway & garage door. Any flat surface and wall, will do! Looks even better coming down the road now!

Hey, sorry about that... ;)

So, when you adjusted them, did you adjust them upward??? :rolleyes:

When I had our garage floor poured, it was made as flat as can be - so I could easily adjust headlamps. When I first started getting people flashing their highbeams at me, I must have checked the headlight aiming 3 or 4 times and they never needed an adjustment! Eventually, I realized that the flashing only occured in "dirty" conditions when others' eyes were most likely not accustomed to seeing clean Xenons coming at them. Not much I can do about that one...

TSS
02-15-07, 07:10 AM
Are headlamp washers standard or was it an option (04 v6)??

For 2006, they came standard w/ the V8 or avail on the v6 w/ the luxury package (I think the package included headlight washers, 18" rims, more interior wood, etc).

Not sure about details for 2004. I know they were definitely not standard equip on a v6 in 2004 though.