: Who Would Want A Carbon Fiber Hood?

Chef
02-06-07, 09:17 PM
I'm just asking because I may have a connection with a pro carbon fiber builder and am sort of testing the water as to the interest levels. Cost is a factor as we all know so my target number would be lower than the big boys if I were to offer it.

Any interest?

RunningOnEMT
02-06-07, 09:26 PM
how much does a stocker weigh?

i know that a composite hood on my Lightning weighed more than the stock aluminum one...

bcholka
02-06-07, 09:26 PM
I'd be interested--would it be similar to extreme composites (sort of STS-V looking??)
I really like that look..........

Gordy Petrovski
02-06-07, 09:34 PM
Yes Please!!!!

ctsvflorida
02-06-07, 09:37 PM
I do not think we would save much weight as our hoods are light! I would like to know what the difference in weight might be though!

RunningOnEMT
02-06-07, 09:40 PM
I do not think we would save much weight as our hoods are light! I would like to know what the difference in weight might be though!

GET YOUR OWN MATERIAL!!!!!!!!!!

finish that thread yet?

Chef
02-06-07, 09:43 PM
Weight will be key as there will be a little metal for hinges but other than that the goal is to be lighter and of course it will be a lot stronger.

Look is three fold:

Extractors a must - Like Pilgrim's ride
&
STS-V Style which is not my favorite IMO
or
Totally Custom and unique

RunningOnEMT
02-06-07, 09:45 PM
well...see how it lays up... there are a lot of big flat panels on these hoods that means THICK composite, or lots of bracing, might not save much weight for the money!

Chef
02-06-07, 09:53 PM
Most of the tuner world hoods are reduced from an average of 28 pounds down to 8...

Also, many places quote composite/fiberglass rather than 96% minimum carbon therefore the weight is still there...

RunningOnEMT
02-06-07, 09:56 PM
how true my gastronomically gifted guru of all things V

well i'd still like to see what the $/lb saved is

ctsvflorida
02-06-07, 10:03 PM
GET YOUR OWN MATERIAL!!!!!!!!!!

finish that thread yet?

???? Splain as I do not understand! ESPECIALLY THE CAPS!

RunningOnEMT
02-06-07, 10:05 PM
???? Splain as I do not understand! ESPECIALLY THE CAPS!

calm blue ocean ... calm blue ocean...

just saying i said the same thing two posts previous

its IgotmeaV btw, urby messed with my username... lol

The Tony Show
02-06-07, 10:29 PM
I always joke about carbon fiber hoods being the ultimate rice accessory (see my sig), but I would do it on two conditions:

1- Significant, proven weight savings

2- Completely painted black to match the body, with a tasteful amount of carbon fiber allowed to show through. (Example: Prior to painting, place two thin vinyl pinstripes in the V shaped creases that run up the hood to the windshield. After painting, remove pinstripes and clearcoat hood. You now have a totally stock looking hood, with only a teeny bit of carbon poking through for the discriminating eye to notice.)

RunningOnEMT
02-06-07, 10:32 PM
I always joke about carbon fiber hoods being the ultimate rice accessory (see my sig), but I would do it on two conditions:

2- Completely painted black to match the body, with a tasteful amount of carbon fiber allowed to show through. (Example: Prior to painting, place two thin vinyl pinstripes in the V shaped creases that run up the hood to the windshield. After painting, remove pinstripes and clearcoat hood. You now have a totally stock looking hood, with only a teeny bit of carbon poking through for the discriminating eye to notice.)

betcha that might look really nice on a redline car...

ctsvflorida
02-06-07, 10:33 PM
I'm always calm buddy! Do I not have fun always on here? I just really didn't understand AND I AM THE CAPS KING! LOL

P.S. I would've called before but got too busy and very tired! I am ready for bed! ZZZZZZZZZZZZ

ctsvflorida
02-06-07, 10:37 PM

So, what would a silver car do? Or gray as IGOTMEAV calls it! :D

For the cost of the hood and the 20lb. weight savings, I would prolly never do it anyway but I am just curious.

Chef
02-06-07, 10:54 PM
how true my gastronomically gifted guru of all things V

well i'd still like to see what the $/lb saved is

I see that your avatar needs a new recipe or is it that bad on the East Coast?:o At least put a little Foie or Beluga 000 as a statement:sneaky: Sets a tone of sophistication associated with us "V" owners...:halo:

RunningOnEMT
02-06-07, 10:56 PM
I see that your avatar needs a new recipe or is it that bad on the East Coast?:o At least put a little Foie or Beluga 000 as a statement:sneaky: Sets a tone of sophistication associated with us "V" owners...:halo:

you think i CHOSE THIS... this is an urbanski original...

if i had my way it would definitely be some nice ocetra caviar served on some nice crostini with sourcream smoked salmon capers and dill

definitely my favorite snack ever!

Chef
02-06-07, 11:01 PM
if i had my way it would definitely be some nice ocetra caviar served on some nice crostini with sourcream smoked salmon capers and dill

definitely my favorite snack ever!

Well done mate! Seems like you've dabled a little in the culinary dark side?

RunningOnEMT
02-06-07, 11:04 PM
Well done mate! Seems like you've dabled a little in the culinary dark side?

a smidge...went to the CIA for some "summer camps" a couple years when i was younger... thats about it though

i appreciate good food though

definitely stopping by your place when i come out to do bondurant this summer though! got room at your table for a fellow V owner?

v-ape
02-06-07, 11:14 PM
Not me, but mainly because my car is silver, errr platinum, if it was black, I'd think about it. As for weight savings, 20lbs isnt that bad, but not huge either. Now add some carbon fiber fenders.... and move the battery to the trunk and you might get a 52/48 3820lb. car.

Chef
02-06-07, 11:16 PM
a smidge...went to the CIA for some "summer camps" a couple years when i was younger... thats about it though

i appreciate good food though

definitely stopping by your place when i come out to do bondurant this summer though! got room at your table for a fellow V owner?

We'll eat like Kings!

Nothing like a jaunt up the Hudson on Metro North's last stop in Poetown.

CIA....Land of the rough riders!

RunningOnEMT
02-06-07, 11:17 PM
We'll eat like Kings!

Nothing like a jaunt up the Hudson on Metro North's last stop in Poetown.

CIA....Land of the rough riders!

i'll hold you to that...

i might even bring my knives out and show you how i can cut my finger off in one fell swoop while trying to filet hamachi

rgd
02-07-07, 01:45 AM
I don't think you will save 20# unless you fill the carbon hood with helium. I say that only because I just weighed my OEM hood, it weighs 20#. I have an Extreme composite hood on my car right now. Which by the way weighs about 2x if not more the OEM hood. Bummer!

Anyway, I would be interested if the price was right and if it is designed right. Designed right is a subjective thing I realize. I don't think most would like what I consider right either. In my mind designed right means 4 or 5 vents running across left to right starting about 10 or more inches from the front of the hood. Like Chef says copy the CTS-VR hood, like Pirgrims.

After doing more research on the hoods I have learned the following about the design. (Main purpose I am after is track performance)
1. The large vent area allows for a large amount of air to pass thru the radiator and other coolers up front. obvious reasons
2. The airflow also creates a large amount of down force on the front end helping the car in the corners. Air enters the front is forced up and out, instant down force.

If I only knew then what I know now. Anybody interested in an extreme composites hood. Lol... It's silver looks awesome vented and .....

The question is how much $?

Thats my 0.02
rgd

Lindsay Cadillac Parts
02-07-07, 08:27 AM
FYI the factory hood on the V weighs 20.22 lbs according to the GM parts catalog.

Chef
02-07-07, 09:38 AM
RGD makes good points as I too concur with him. Even If I could save 10 pounds I'd pursue it based on eventually doing the whole car. If I just wanted a hood and stop there and had no track plans I may not do it. But, to have a hood and other parts that could enhance the look and performance should be looked at.

Again, the composite structure should be inspected and asked about because there are hundreds of composite recipes out there that look cool but may not be too user friendly. I 'm no expert on carbon but only know from talking with some others who make it, melt it and mold it.

More weight and no real help in terms of "down draft" and air cooling may not be the way to go IMO.

I going to meet with the people either this week or next. We'll see.

I will be asking for the entire car to be pieced out.

Our cars - 3,800lbs and change while the WC cars are roughly 3,000lbs with driver.

Mo Latah....

Chef

tweeter81
02-07-07, 11:09 AM
Chef,

I like this idea. I have always thought that I would get an aftermarket hood, but thought that it would be years from now...but, if this thing happens I might be willing to jump on the bandwagon.

Now, a couple of random thoughts:

1) I would buy a custom hood for looks and functionality. It has to be a combination of the two. Why spend lots'o $$$ on something that you are not sure if you like the looks but only like the performance gain (downforce).

2) I think the new hood should be within 25% (either way) of our stock hood weight, that would be fine. I just think that to get what we want we might have to add a little weight possibly, which wouldn't be the end of the world if it increases downforce.

3) The reason I haven't bought the extreme composites hood yet is because it seems like such a small change (i.e. too tame looking and I have a black car) to justify spending the money on it. Something to keep in mind, if we are designing a custom hood I want it to be easily recognizable, but not over the top.

4) That being said (I KNOW I AM GOING TO GET FLAMED FOR THIS) I have always wanted to get the Ram Air II hood, which is the hood that came on the late model Firebird Trans Am WS6s. There are a couple of reasons for this: I have played a couple of video games that allow you to put a hood like that on a CTS-V and it looks badass (keep in mind, the game was on the Xbox 360, and the graphics are real enough to give you a representation of how it will look in real life), the two openings at the snout would provide downforce, we would still need some heat extractors farther up on the hood, the snout would have to be more angular (as opposed to extremely rounded) to match the car.

Here is a picture of how it would look:

v-ape
02-07-07, 01:43 PM

Paint will add a couple lbs. If I'm gettin CF to lighten my car, its a little backwards to add weight to it. It does look a lot better. Though with the more flexible CF (assuming you want it light) the paint will probably crack from flexing.

svassh
02-07-07, 03:54 PM
4) That being said (I KNOW I AM GOING TO GET FLAMED FOR THIS) I have always wanted to get the Ram Air II hood, which is the hood that came on the late model Firebird Trans Am WS6s. There are a couple of reasons for this: I have played a couple of video games that allow you to put a hood like that on a CTS-V and it looks badass (keep in mind, the game was on the Xbox 360, and the graphics are real enough to give you a representation of how it will look in real life), the two openings at the snout would provide downforce, we would still need some heat extractors farther up on the hood, the snout would have to be more angular (as opposed to extremely rounded) to match the car.

Here is a picture of how it would look:

What game is that from?

tweeter81
02-07-07, 03:59 PM
What game is that from?

Need For Speed: Most Wanted on XBOX 360

rgd
02-07-07, 04:44 PM
In case you have not seen this!

Chef: If you go to the Cadillac website, click on the V series, then open the CTS-vr, (A Championship Season Racing/Get the results) then open (the Car) and finally (Racing Technology), there is a little orange box near the windshield when opened renders a nice little blurb about the vent, down force etc.
That might be good to look at before your meeting, if you havnt already seen it.

You probably have seen it but if not..........

rgd-out

50 4Ever
02-07-07, 05:16 PM
I might be interested if it doesn't cost more than a fifth of Louie XIII

:highfive:

Chef
02-07-07, 06:10 PM
In case you have not seen this!

Chef: If you go to the Cadillac website, click on the V series, then open the CTS-vr, (A Championship Season Racing/Get the results) then open (the Car (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/#)) and finally (Racing Technology), there is a little orange box near the windshield when opened renders a nice little blurb about the vent, down force etc.
That might be good to look at before your meeting, if you havnt already seen it.

You probably have seen it but if not..........

rgd-out

RGD -

Good call. I'm bringing photos galore...

tweeter81
02-16-07, 11:50 AM
Just a little bump on this thread. I really would like to see what people think about what would be a cool aftermarket hood (Ram Air II) for this car.

Sorry, Chef, this is your thread, I will shut up now...

The Tony Show
02-16-07, 11:52 AM
Haha...Just ordered a Carbon fiber strut brace and intake cover. Damn you for putting Carbon Fiber in my head!!!!

:D

nxlr8
02-16-07, 03:32 PM
Haha...Just ordered a Carbon fiber strut brace and intake cover. Damn you for putting Carbon Fiber in my head!!!!

:D

Where'd you get 'em and how much $$?

austin
02-16-07, 05:05 PM
>I really would like to see what people think about what would be a cool aftermarket hood for this car.

Here is my two cents worth;

(1) Copy the STS-V hood.

(2) Keep the windshield fluid dispenser nosels functional.

(3) No louvers.

(4) Extreme Composites almost got it perfect, but they fell short on the cowl distance from the windshield (as pictured below). I don't think the Extreme Compsite's hood looks as good as it could of from a side view.

*Photo is from another members post.

NoSlackCadillac
02-17-07, 01:03 AM
Concur with the above picture.

If going carbon fiber, give me a full front end. A nice one piece with built in air intake similar to that on the CTS-V.R