Cadillac Owners Forum banner
2K views 15 replies 9 participants last post by  JohnnyO 
#1 ·
I've always been aware of N* using their oil up pretty fast. My 97 Deville would need oh about 3/4 a qt between oil changes. My 99 sts has already taken a qt and still has 1200 miles left before oil change! I know it doesn't smoke nor leak...it only has 69,500 miles! Explanation for this?? Not to change the subject has anyone added a K&N filter to the N*, if so, good results? THANKS!:thumbsup:

#3 ·
Up to 1 qt per 1000 miles is considered normal by GM engineers.

#4 ·
No two engines "use" oil at the same rate. Engineering tolerances. We have late STS's in here that use a quart every 1 to 15 hundred miles. We have STS's in here, like mine, that use a quart every 4,000 miles. All normal. How many miles are you doing between your "needed" oil changes? For a '99 STS, it had better be a hell of a long way past 7,500, unless you idle around town all the time! Owensboro? You probably do a fair amount of long country drives. As Ranger said....read the archives, use decent name brand oils, and sleep easy.

#7 ·
I'm just shocked right now...I've added 1 1/2 qts already! 1,000 miles to my oil change (3,000 miles). My dad sales cadillac's and he said it doesn't sound right to him. I don't think it leaks at all or atleast I have never seen it to leak. Its been parked in the garage overnight plenty of times, no oil. I know it doesn't smoke for a fact. I just dont think this sounds normal...the previous owner indicated to my dad that it did indeed use a quart between oil changes.

#8 ·
Believe it or not, that is nothing to be alarmed about. If every else seems normal, 1 quart per 1,000 miles is to be expected in a N*.

You ever try the "Italian Tuneup" a.k.a. WOT cleanout? If not, search this board for these terms: WOT rings carbon

#9 ·
I'm going to try it, i just hate to be hard on my car! I'm anti-ragging out a car....i know the side effects! thanks guys for all the respones, i've read up about this and i'll be takin my car to my pop's dealership to check my car out. I really honestly don't think there is anything wrong with it, i just want to make sure.

#11 · (Edited)
If it's only using a quart between oil changes, then it's either not burning much or you're changing the oil too often. :usflag:
Pre-2000 Northstars simply burn a lot of oil (if they're not leaking it too). It's a fact of life. Some things just are what they are.
Unless you run it at a track, it's perfectly fine to let it go until the Oil Level light comes on, there will still be about 5.5 quarts in there. Assuming the light is working properly.
Some people claim less consumption by keeping it a half-quart low on purpose and only putting in 7 quarts when they change oil. I do this myself on our oil-burning '99.
I noticed somewhat less consumption by running Valvoline Max Life 10w-30 instead of Mobil 1 10w-30.

#14 ·
When you take it to the dealer, they are going to try to sell you a decarbonization treatment for a couple of hundred dollars. Did you read the Technical Archives on oil consumption and full throttle acceleration aka WOT? Take it out and whoop it, "drive it like you stole it". You won't hurt it, but it will use less oil.

#15 ·
Yeah my dad told me to start running vavoline or havoline to reduce the oil consumption. I currently run mobil 1 so I will give it a try for sure. He just started selling Cadillacs after selling Ford and Dodge for 32 years, I think I know more than him about Cadillacs! Thanks guys...no need to stress anymore!

#16 ·
Also when you add oil you are somewhat replenishing the additives in the oil. Like I said, my mother's oil-burner used less when I put Max Life in it, although it is not a high-mileage car.
Just go by the OLM, or better yet run it for 7500 miles and add as needed. Then send a sample to Blackstone Labs, who will tell you it is fine and go longer next time.
If you want to go by miles you could run a quality dino oil (or syn or blend), change it every 10,000 miles (or once a year, whichever comes first), and it will be fine. Really.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.