: Clutch or synchrows

cts-v_boyNJ
02-06-07, 06:46 PM
my 05 cts-v has about 37k miles on it and sometimes it will not go into gear and will even get stuck in a gear usually first and 4th. often i grind 2nd with the cltuch to the floor and occasionally 4th gear. This problems seems to be getting worse i just wanted some oppinions on if you think its my clutch or possibly my synchrows. thanks for your guys help in advance. :)

50 4Ever
02-06-07, 07:00 PM
From what you describe I don't think it is the syncro's. I had a problem very similar to yours except mine would not get stuck in gears, it just wouldn't go in to gears. The next time you have the problem where it will not go into a gear and you are parked, shut it off and see if you still have the same problem. My problem was caused by the clutch not fully releasing and the internals of the tranny kept turning. There is a write-up somewhere else on the forum, I'll try to find it.

cts-v_boyNJ
02-06-07, 07:08 PM
i think your right now that you mention the internals still spinnign and teh clutch not releasing that sounds exactly like what happens. i want to get an after market clutch because in due time im going to need one.

50 4Ever
02-06-07, 07:11 PM
Look at post number 12 in this thread (http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum/96643-low-gear-problem.html) for the service department's write-up on my problem.

Good luck, they had my tranny out 3 times before they finally got it fixed.

:alchi:

cts-v_boyNJ
02-06-07, 07:27 PM
thanks man. im going to go see my dealership and see waht they say.

rand49er
02-06-07, 08:55 PM
Nice goin', 50. That's what makes this forum so great! :)

cts-v ls6
02-06-07, 10:23 PM
Check the level of oil in your hydraulic clutch reservoir under the hood. Mine was hard going into gear and very "notchy" when shifting. I checked the clutch oil level and it was completely empty!

Totally my fault. I filled the reservoir up, and no more problems. As the clutch disc wears, it gets thinner, and the level in the clutch reservoir drops. Over time, that oil needs to be replenished.

Jack

Art138
02-06-07, 10:45 PM
What is average clutch life for the Vs with the LS6? Normal daily driver conditions with occassional spirited driving. Would be useful for benchmarking purposes.

kgoch
02-07-07, 06:48 AM
Mine did the same thing and my clutch reservior was also empty. Now it works great.

cts-v ls6
02-07-07, 06:31 PM
I have 95k miles on the V with 90k on a Luk Pro Gold clutch, stock pressure plate and lightened aluminum flywheel. 80-85% of the mileage is at 70 mph on the highway. clutch still works as new. No power shifting or clutch dumps.

Jack