: V-owner looses cool in parking garage...

jnrandall
02-05-07, 10:03 PM
Having a really tough work day. Had to leave home and fly back to the office to muck with an Oracle and MS SQL Server db servers -- and I wasn't happy about that at all. I drive my V to the local parking establishment near my office. This is only the 2nd time since owning her that I let someone else drive my ride. It's cold in Manhattan today (12˚F) and although the lot is an indoor one, it's not heated. I also live in Manhattan and the garage where my V lives is a nice 64˚F.

Well, after spending 3 pointless hours in the office, I retrieved my vehicle. The guy drives it off the elevator and my mouth hits the floor. IT'S WHINNING, AND WHEEEZING ALL OVER THE PLACE. I thought they installed a MAGGIE when I was away. The attendant says it's just cold. When it warms up it'll be ok.

Needless to say I wanted to kill this guy. Already having a bad afternoon and now this???? The first thing I thought was the diff. This thing was making noise through all gears as well as when the steering wheel turned. I drove around the block and back to the garage and gave the guy a little piece of my mind. He kept saying it was just cold. I said if it isn't, there will be a problem!

Blah blah blah, 10-15 minutes later, all I hear is the growl of my Kooks header/Magnaflow combination and all is well. Well I guess he was right. I've had cold cars before but never like this. I called the garage and apologized to the guy. He just laughed and said no problem.

Whew. :)

My first REAL winter day with my V is over.

heavymetals
02-05-07, 10:05 PM
Aluminum blocks and heads get very cold.

I hate cold weather.

ChicagoCTS32
02-05-07, 10:45 PM
Yeah, mine sounded like an asthmatic 10 year old this morning for about 4 minutes... -7 on the DIC in the garage.

Chef
02-05-07, 10:47 PM
I do not miss the Big Apple at all! 8 years was good enough and I parked my cars at my Dad's house in Westchester and did not drive in the city:tisk: ...

What part of the cement canyon do you live in?

jnrandall
02-05-07, 10:54 PM
I live in the "core" of The Big Apple -- 14th Street near 1st Ave. I wouldn't trade it for the world! :)

ctsvett
02-05-07, 11:51 PM
I hear ya... its REALLY cold here is Los Angeles today... I think it peaked at 86 degrees (above 0)... I wore a jacket to work cause I didnt want to get cold when they TURNED ON THE A/C...

HAHA.

Reed

wildwhl
02-06-07, 12:03 AM
Check the level of your power-steering fluid.

You'd be surprised what a couple of ounces low sounds like (and is much worse the colder things are).

WW

CHP N-V
02-06-07, 02:15 AM
Yes I agree with WW... Mine was making the very same noise and I was pissed. It was the very next morning after I bought the car. But I read up on here about the power-steering fluid and told the dealer. They added just a couple ounces and Problem Solved...

And this was during Nor Cal's freezing period, 25 degrees out side at night. and Yes this weather is FREEZING to us Californians. Suck for you guys :)

sy1172
02-06-07, 06:21 AM
My power steering was whining too last week. Guess that answers that huh?

Dean400hp
02-06-07, 06:58 AM
This is funny, I couldnt wait to get to work to write a post about my car making steering noises from cold ....and what is the first thing I read, someone beat me to it :) I'm glad I'm not the only one, I'm starting to think they tested and built the V in florida, because it does not handle cold at all!!

ctsvflorida
02-06-07, 07:25 AM
I hear ya... its REALLY cold here is Los Angeles today... I think it peaked at 86 degrees (above 0)... I wore a jacket to work cause I didnt want to get cold when they TURNED ON THE A/C...

HAHA.

Reed

I'm with you VETT! I had to wear a jacket today myself as it only went up to 70 degrees! Bitter cold over here! :yup: lol

JESSE: You said you love it and will never leave? Well, I'll never go back buddy! But I'll see ya in the summer!

HushH
02-06-07, 08:39 AM
Glad to hear there wasn't anything wrong. When I worked in the city there was only one place I would park my car. That was on 40th near 7th Ave and I only used that one because I knew the guys there.

Chef
02-06-07, 08:42 AM
I live in the "core" of The Big Apple -- 14th Street near 1st Ave. I wouldn't trade it for the world! http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums/cadillac-cts-v-series-forum/images/smilies/smile.gif

I dug it too while I was there. Highest energy levels of any city out there IMO. It's got the funk mixed with some conservative vibes although where you're livin' it's mainly all funk - in a good way.:cool:

She gave me teeth and I ate...

All good....

Chef

SilverBullet
02-06-07, 12:29 PM
Yeah, mine sounded like an asthmatic 10 year old this morning for about 4 minutes... -7 on the DIC in the garage.

uuuuuuuu.... he said DIC.....

cold here in DC today, too. All sorts of funny noises. Cold tires are fun with TC off, tho:devil:

jnrandall
02-06-07, 12:34 PM
I'm with you VETT! I had to wear a jacket today myself as it only went up to 70 degrees! Bitter cold over here! :yup: lol

JESSE: You said you love it and will never leave? Well, I'll never go back buddy! But I'll see ya in the summer!

See ya then! :thumbsup:

Tags63
02-06-07, 12:40 PM
Hey Jesse!!!

I hear ya with the extra noises from the cold. Mine has done it a couple of times as well but went right away after it warmed up. Definitely keep an eye on the power steering fluid like WW said. Very little down and makes some real annoying sounds in the cold!!!

Paul:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

jnrandall
02-06-07, 12:44 PM
Hey Jesse!!!

I hear ya with the extra noises from the cold. Mine has done it a couple of times as well but went right away after it warmed up. Definitely keep an eye on the power steering fluid like WW said. Very little down and makes some real annoying sounds in the cold!!!

Paul:thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Hey Paul,

It's been coooooold at Captree. You may have the right idea about waiting until it warms up more before attending. When the temps are in the high 30s, it's not too bad. Plenty of cars. When it dips below 30, then only the diehards attend (about 20 -30 cars).

MescalVto
02-06-07, 01:15 PM
I also had the obnoxious steering noise in the cold accompanied by a vibration you could feel in the firewall (about a month ago right before I put her down for the winter). The noise went away when it warmed up and when I checked the fluid it seemed to be right about at the mark??
Maybe there is room for a little more!?

Albertan
02-06-07, 03:30 PM
Hey Northerners
This thread has become a way for the warm guys to rub our noses in the cold.
Just way, in 5 months, I'll have my week of summer when I can drive my V!
Seriously, watching the weather for a road trip to Portland. Good weather ie dry I take V, wet weather I take the CTS, bit'o snow, my truck more than that and I wait for spring. UGG.
Bruce

gsxmachine
02-07-07, 10:51 AM
I too have fallen victim to the cold…I’ve had the power steering whine before and seemingly only a couple of drops of fluid made a huge difference. Anyone have any thoughts on why such a small amount would make such a difference? My level didn’t appear to be down *that* much!?