: Replace cd changer with aftermarket head unit?

poodleface
02-05-07, 06:18 PM
Does anybody know if that would be possible with a custom dash or otherwise? I am sick of the factory sound, but I do not want to lose the NAV and information displayed on the screen. Also if I got a CD player with an AUX in could I get sound from the NAV to the new head unit? Thanks.

n7don_srx
02-05-07, 09:49 PM
I don't have any direct experience to relate but Crutchfield seems to be where many point to get answers ( http://www.crutchfield.com/ ) plus they have a toll-free number.

afg350ci
02-06-07, 07:46 AM
I have an '05 with the 6 CD Changer. I wanted an aftermarket Nav unit with DVD capability. The problem was the info screen that tells me the MPG, Tire Pressures, Oil Life, etc. My installer left the existing radio with CD player and all. He removed the ashtray and lighter and installed two auxilary 12 V plugs, one on either side of the center console. He moved the A/C controls down into the spot where the ashtray was. He then installed a Kenwood flip-up monitor in place of the A/C Controls. When unit opens, it sits exactly front of the CD Changer without blocking any buttons. It worked out rather nicely. He then ordered some custom trim pieces, but those haven't come in yet. I will try to remember to post a picture.

poodleface
02-06-07, 11:08 AM
Yeah, a picture would be awesome.

afg350ci
02-06-07, 12:38 PM
I can provide a low res pic taken with my cell phone pretty quickly. I better pic would require me remembering to grab the digital camera from the house when I get home, and usually that's when the wife hands me the "honey-do" list. You know the list: "honey do this... honey do that...":wifeyapping:

Note, I have the unit plays CDs, CDRs, CDRWs, DVDs, DVDRs, DVDRWs, MP3s, JPEGs, and I think WMVs. Also, it has Navigation, Sirius Satellite Radio, and a local TV Tuner. I also have a PS2 connected.

You might notice in the first picture a small metallic circle at the bottom left. That is the aftermarket 12V outlet on the driver's side. There is also one on the passenger's side. It's even better than original because that way both my wife and I can have our cell phones connected at the same time.

P.S. The picture on the screen is off the local TV Tuner. It is Matlock that just happend to be on when I went down to the car to take the pictures.

Hope this helps.

poodleface
02-06-07, 03:03 PM
Thank you, those pictures are very helpful.

Now does anybody know about getting sound from a factory NAV unit to an AUX in? It's not too big of a deal but it would be nice to have it for the voice over directions.