: Rear Air Suspension

GenoTheLowrider
02-05-07, 05:47 PM
I was looking under my car one day and noticed that one of the rear air shocks was leaking. Upon looking around, I noticed that the auto parts stores dont carry this shock that works with the level ride system. Does one know where I can find these shocks, and possibly how much I could get them for?

carnut
02-05-07, 08:45 PM
Look in the yellow pages for an auto parts store that provides DELCO parts. They can get them from a warehouse. Depending on the year and type of Cad you have, it could require a complete strut assembly. Best replaced in pairs!

GenoTheLowrider
02-05-07, 08:56 PM
I have the 89 Caddy FWB if this helps any!! I am also looking at the option of just goin with regular gas shocks and just forgetting the air system...anyone ever tried this?

90Brougham350
02-05-07, 09:38 PM
Getting rid of the air shocks is a pretty common thing to do. I got rid of mine and went with Bilsteins all around. Other guys on here have gone with Monroes or Gabriels.

GenoTheLowrider
02-05-07, 09:44 PM
Getting rid of the air shocks is a pretty common thing to do. I got rid of mine and went with Bilsteins all around. Other guys on here have gone with Monroes or Gabriels.

Ok, thats cool right there man, how did the ride change if any?

GenoTheLowrider
02-05-07, 10:10 PM

Ok, thats cool right there man, how did the ride change if any?

90Brougham350
02-05-07, 10:41 PM
The ride got a little stiffer, but not harsher really, just less body-roll. All around a good purchase, they just make the car feel that much better.

bigbluebrougham
02-07-07, 10:34 AM
I got a suggestion from BCs71 that I am going forward with next month if it is a little warmer since both my rear shocks are shot. There are bags you can get from Jegs that fit right inside the springs: http://www.jegs.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product2_10001_10002_743887_-1

Part number: 022-60786

Hook them right up to the factory level ride system! Just a couple of bucks in fittings and your good to go!

This looks like, to me anyway, the way to go. Then replace all the shocks with Bilsteins and you have got a failsafe (IMHO) air suspension for load adjusting, and a great ride with less body roll!

022-60755 is the part number you should use according to the website.

96Fleetwood
02-07-07, 10:38 AM
You can get the factory air shocks from the dealer, they run a little over $100/each.

blackcadmatt
02-07-07, 06:41 PM
Aftermarket air shocks will work with the factory level ride system. The only catch is that you have to splice the OEM line to the aftermarket line with a 1/8 compression fitting as the new shocks have a threaded nipple.

On my '83 I went with coil-overs as the leveling switch was the problem. The ride stayed the same as did the ride height.

A pair of Gabriel or Monro air shocks will cost less-than $100 and carry a lifetime warranty. Any auto parts store can get them. If the partz chimp looks at you funny ask the next guy/gal as they're in the PAPER partz catolog.

GenoTheLowrider
02-08-07, 12:09 AM
I went on ahead and went with a pair of Monroe Sensa-Trac shocks, I think there was some problem with my level system, as it came on whenever I started the car, without even having a load on it.......