: Overloaded Cadillac

ShadowLvr400
02-05-07, 12:06 PM
I made the Fleetwood struggle to carry a load of people. 1100+ lbs of people in the car. She felt a bit sluggish while driving with that load. 5 people.... The people, 275+ lbs guy, 250 or so lbs girl, my 230, and 2 girls in the 180+ range. We are a well fed bunch. The Fleetwood's butt was sagging a bit under the weight.

davidrap
02-05-07, 03:28 PM
IS your SLS and air ride operative?

The Caddy should pick up the back end for ya.

Cadillac Giovanni
02-05-07, 03:32 PM
Haha, that's quite a load, but...

I think I've got you beat. In my 89 Brougham I had 5 people as well. Me in the driver's seat weighing in at about 260, in the back, a 350 pound guy, a 275 pound girl, and squeezed between them was a scrawny 140 pound guy, but here's the whopper, in the front seat was a 500+ pound guy. The weight was mostly on the passenger side, so the car was almost up on two wheels, and the mudflaps were scraping any chance they got. It never bottomed out though, That air ride suspension was working double time, i tell you what. That car rides a little sluggish already with the 307 in it, so it was certainly no speed demon with that load.

The funny part is, we were going out to eat. I should have refused to take them...

Additionally, a few nights ago i was playing chauffeur for some of my skinnier friends, and whenever i do that, i always let them know that both I, and my car, thank them for being so easy to cart around.

ShadowLvr400
02-05-07, 03:51 PM
IS your SLS and air ride operative?

The Caddy should pick up the back end for ya.

My suspension's tired at best. It's a little roughed up.

The Ape Man
02-05-07, 04:53 PM
Sounds like you have some good friends to take up to Donner Pass.

Cadillac Giovanni
02-05-07, 09:01 PM
Heh, you bet. If my car ever breaks down in the middle of nowhere because of hauling their fat asses...

...well, I'm not going hungry, I know that...

Actually, I wouldn't eat them, I'd make them push. It'd probably be healthier for all of us.

509Rider
02-05-07, 09:20 PM
I got you all beat, 10 group 31 batteries, 3 pumps, frame reinforcement, my car weighed 6,000 pounds with just me in it. It is a little sluggish but still goes pretty good for a 93 with 190,000 miles on it.

GenoTheLowrider
02-05-07, 10:02 PM
I got you all beat, 10 group 31 batteries, 3 pumps, frame reinforcement, my car weighed 6,000 pounds with just me in it. It is a little sluggish but still goes pretty good for a 93 with 190,000 miles on it.

Sounds like you are lowriding man, I respect it!!:thumbsup:

509Rider
02-05-07, 10:40 PM
Sounds like you are lowriding man, I respect it!!:thumbsup::thumbsup:

DaveSmed
02-05-07, 11:17 PM
...my car weighed 6,000 pounds...

Holy crap, that stuff weighs a ton.... literally!

Old Fleetwood
02-06-07, 12:11 AM
Say what you might about getting rid of the Air Suspension, but when wifey wants garden goodies and I end up putting 6-60 lb. bags of pink granite plus 5-50 lb bags of SakCrete in the trunk (with the trunk lined with heavy plastic, of course) that Air Suspension is necessary as all hell to keep me from losing my rear bumper when I climb up that steep approach apron on my driveway.
If that little ol' compressor hadn't done its job, my FWB's ass would'a really been draggin.
Oh, yeah, the new flowerpots - with new flowers - were on the rear floor.

UNCLLUIE
02-06-07, 12:15 AM
A girl at 250? That's what we call "juicy" here in NYC.

Technical question - and it's coming from someone who packed 7 people into a Fleetwood in NYC........How many burritos and cupcakes did those hungry heiffers have in their pockets?? COuld take a toll on any suspension!

Pleese laugh!

Now, I'm a big guy - 6'4' and 240 on a hungry day, so let's not get crazy!

GenoTheLowrider
02-06-07, 08:49 AM
[quote=that Air Suspension is necessary as all hell to keep me from losing my rear bumper when I climb up that steep approach apron on my driveway.
If that little ol' compressor hadn't done its job, my FWB's ass would'a really been draggin.
Oh, yeah, the new flowerpots - with new flowers - were on the rear floor.[/quote]

Sounds like you could really use some variable rate coil springs in the back, that would be VERY helpful. I put them on mine and when I load up going to school my Lacs booty doesnt move at all!
--Geno TL

96Fleetwood
02-06-07, 11:49 AM
I had over 1,500 lbs of stuff when I moved from Virginia Beach to Chicago last week. The trunk and back seat were packed full.

With the 9C1 heavy duty rear springs & Bilstein heavy duty rear shocks, the Fleetwood made the 1,000 mile trip with no issues and maintained a decent ride height. :cool2:

Old Fleetwood
02-06-07, 09:24 PM
I'm always open to the KISS formula. You know:

..Keep
..It
..Simple
..Stupid!

But I have had no problem with the load leveler on my FWB so far. What's more, when towing, I've used the Owner's Manual recommendation to hook up, let the leveler do its thing, then pull the fuse to keep the compressor from cycling forever after, as long as you have the RV hooked up.
Also I have to admit I love gadgets and kinda' like to hear the sound of that little compressor doing its thing. :bouncy:

lochenjons
02-09-07, 12:49 PM
reminds me of a story that happened to me when i was younger. my mom had one of those old small gmc jimmys (not the full size one but the s10) and we had to fit our 400lb step sister in the car with us. the car was leaning over so far and so far forward it was hilarious

Gwokable
02-10-07, 04:40 AM
3 tons, actually.

blackcadmatt
02-10-07, 03:03 PM
http://www.pennswoods.net/~bluewolves/richard.jpg

Couldn't resist... I'm a big guy too:halo:

N0DIH
02-10-07, 06:45 PM
Is yours a FE1 or FE2 car?

I made the Fleetwood struggle to carry a load of people. 1100+ lbs of people in the car. She felt a bit sluggish while driving with that load. 5 people.... The people, 275+ lbs guy, 250 or so lbs girl, my 230, and 2 girls in the 180+ range. We are a well fed bunch. The Fleetwood's butt was sagging a bit under the weight.

caddycruiser
02-11-07, 11:47 PM
I've loaded mine down a few times, both when moving college-home and such, and also when 6 of us went out for lunch at work and I volunteered to drive, since I had the largest car. Luckily, I think a lot of my suspension is fresh and the level takes care of all in no more than 10 seconds.

The more common is the 4 of us going to church, as today, when I'm home and elect to drive--everyone's fairly thin, but the leveler has some work to do, and I definitely feel a slight bog down that's not present when it's only just me. But that's slight, as I said...it'll still lay tracks and pull hard, just feels heavier while doing it.

Same with the '93, powerwise, except it's rear shocks are toast and other bits are a bit worn, so it sinks a little and bobs around with people or stuff loaded.

I~LUV~Caddys8792
02-12-07, 12:00 AM
When I put three "normal" (150-180 lbs) sized guys in the back of my '92 deVille, the compressor can't keep the rear end quite level. The struts are new and the compressor works well. I'm not too worried about it.

Ok, I'll go back to the deVille section now...:hide:

GenoTheLowrider
02-12-07, 12:35 AM
I am a skinny guy (I weigh only 145 pounds) my Caddy handles as light as a feather, but however when I fill it up with the fellas, it handles well. I put Cargo Springs in the back and Monroe Sensa-trac shocks. I like that better than the air personally!

N0DIH
02-12-07, 12:35 AM
On my 91 Deville I did have to tweak the back level switch to bring it up to proper level empty, it looked and rode much better. A little goes a LONG way on that adjustment!

sizanjdf
02-17-07, 04:07 AM
ive had 9 people in my 74 fleetwood 75 before. well over 2000 lbs, and the air shocks are shot. She definetly was sittin a little low. but it still would pull better than expected with that load. 50mph in a block and half. granted it took another block and a half to stop

N0DIH
02-17-07, 12:10 PM
Ever see that 74 Deville they cut up to prove how much weight affects acceleration?

They loaded it with 8 people and every conceivable spot in the trunk full of heavy things. With the 472 powering it, they were DOWN to a 21 sec quarter mile. Unloaded, driver only, 17's. By the time they cut off the body off the car, the open diff smoked the slicks for 100+ feet and ran a low 13. Stone stock 472 without so much as a tuneup.

The car had only a roll cage they added back because of the structure got so weak once they removed the roof. The car was nothingmore than a rolling frame and a fiberglass bucket seat with a 472 on it!

N0DIH
02-17-07, 12:13 PM
Heck, I would bet the 9C1 springs would fit the older 71-76 B/C/D body cars too.

I will probably start looking for a set of 9C1 springs to toss under my ride for now, with it being so cold it would probably be easier than fixing up the compressor (which I prefer to keep going, but I can add some good shocks finally). Maybe I can go with 9C1 springs in back and front, and then some air bags in the springs and fix the compressor later.

caddycruiser
02-17-07, 12:21 PM
Heck, I would bet the 9C1 springs would fit the older 71-76 B/C/D body cars too.

I will probably start looking for a set of 9C1 springs to toss under my ride for now, with it being so cold it would probably be easier than fixing up the compressor (which I prefer to keep going, but I can add some good shocks finally). Maybe I can go with 9C1 springs in back and front, and then some air bags in the springs and fix the compressor later.

That's actually the combo I've been thinking of, when the time comes to change my '95s stuff--9C1 springs front and back for firmness and stock height, combined with airbags inside the rears and hooked up to the compressor (for those times when it is really loaded), and new shocks all around.

It's still to fresh feeling right now for me to bother, even if softer than I'd ultimately prefer, so no rush at all and there probably won't be for quite some time.

As for the '93, the compressor works well, we're just pretty sure the shocks are toast, as it can only pump up when empty, and then seems to bleed out slowly and keeps running a lot more than it should--and with a load, it just can't lift and runs non-stop. Dad doesn't want to bother with changing springs, even as much as they may help, so his idea is just new shocks with coil-over helpers--hopefully that will at least keep the car level, and not sagging with the airs gone.

N0DIH
02-17-07, 12:33 PM
Springs are quite easy to change. If you can remove shocks, you are only seconds away from springs.

Just remove shocks, then let axle hang, and pop them out of the seat, they will fall out at that point. Simple! You will be surprised!!!