: 2007 Escalade Potential Owner

EscaladeguyCA
02-04-07, 02:13 PM
I am in the market for a full size SUV to accomodate to 3 kids (2 infants and 1 toddler). One of my choices is the new Escalade with the 2nd row bench seat.

I have never owned an Escalade let alone a Cadillac vehicle in the past so I have some reservations and would like to ask the great people in this forum the following:

1. I live in Southern CA, do I really need the AWD or can settle for the 2WD? Does the 2WD drive smoother?

2. I know this is a forum so in most cases the problems of the Escalade will always be advertised here. However is the Escalade overall a reliable vehicle and as reliable as Lexus? I currently have a Lexus GX470 and it's been rock solid.

3. How is Cadillac's service overall? I imagine the service dept would be very good since it's a luxury division, however the level of service would probably depend on the dealership.

4. Who is the best dealer in Southern CA (Orange County area) to get a Cadillac? I am only aware of Tustin, Nabers and Allen.

5. I test drove a Lexus LX & Caddy Escalade the same day and the Lexus LX was a nice ride and smooth (much more refined than my current GX470) and it felt light for a large truck. The Escalade was very nice also too and it's overall cooler than the LX, so if you have any further comments these are my final 2 I have to choose from. They are both around the same price, it's just that spec wise the Cadillac has more luxury features and more power, where as the Lexus has the reliability.
Thank you all again for your help.

LLT
02-04-07, 03:06 PM
Here is my take...

1. I've never driven the 2WD Escalade to compare.

2. The 2007's are honestly a luck of the draw. Later builds are much better than earlier builds (not that there were critical issues with any of them), so be sure to see how long the Escalade has been on the lot before purchasing and check everything prior to signing on the dotted line. Reliable as a Lexus? Every manufacturer churns out bad cars, but I think the Lexus is superior to Cadillac in terms of workmanship. I say that with a heavy heart as someone with strong, heavy family ties to General Motors dating back to R.E. Olds. The Cadillacs of today are NOTHING like the Cadillacs of yesteryear. They've taken attention away from luxury and put it towards aiming at the younger crowd with entry level models such as the CTS.

3. Cadillac itself has great customer service, but the execution is always with the dealer. I myself try to avoid dealers that are both Chevrolet and Cadillac as I've found that more often than not, they are trained on the Chevrolet side from a customer service standpoint and you don't receive the same level of service that you would from a straight Cadillac or even Cadillac/Buick dealer. Perhaps that's an unfair generalization, but it's accurate based on my experience. Your mileage may of course vary.

4. Unsure. :)

5. I looked at and test-drove the LX too. Again, I felt (and I feel bad saying this given my history) the workmanship was better on the LX. Walk around the Escalade - feel the door handles. Feel some of the trim such as the pillars on the on either side of the rear liftgate. It still feels like something could break at anytime. Stand facing either side of the vehicle with the doors closed - I can nearly guarantee that the trim on the front door will not line up with the back door and something will be misaligned. I've seen a good ~30 Escalades at dealerships and none of them lined up. Yes, it may be a silly cosmetic issue, but attention to detail is important to me.

I didn't get the LX in the end because 1) I wanted to "stay true to my roots" and 2) The Escalade left off fully loaded where the LX began without options -- and that's before my GM discount. 3.) I liked the interior of the Escalade far more than the Lexus. I obviously spend most of my time on the inside, so that weighs heavily with me.

Go drive both and see which you like better. The Escalade is a beautiful, decent performing, great handling and comfortable vehicle. If that's what you're looking for, I think the Escalade is a good choice. Just don't set your expectations too high like I did, just because it says "Cadillac" on the side. I assure you, the nameplate doesn't mean as much as it used to from a luxury standpoint. In my humble opinion, under the skin, it's a dressed up Yukon/Tahoe with a few more horsepower, a couple of token features, a much higher pricetag and missing key features like bluetooth, telescopic steering, express-up windows, fold-flat third row, etc. Sure does look nice though!

Good luck with your decision! :)

alpinewhite325i
02-04-07, 06:18 PM
I have to agree with what LLT said above in #5. I actually started a thread on this. On mine, I had several panels / pieces that were mis-aligned. This is very important to myself as well, and I took the truck back when it was 3 days old to have everything fixed. The dealer did an EXCELLENT job and I was 100% satisified. The fit and finish on the interior is flawless. With the exception of the cheap hinges on the center console, the interior is very high quality. I must say GM has finally started putting some effort in producing world class interiors.

EscaladeguyCA
02-05-07, 12:43 AM
Thanks again for all your helpful comments. The Escalade is definitely the cooler vehicle than the Lexus LX and I believe it is more fun to drive also.

I was actually thinking about the Yukon Denali as an alternative due to the lower price, but after seeing the local out of date GMC dealership, no loaner cars and rinky dink customer lounge, I am not sure if the Denali is the way to go.

I have to say Lexus has great interiors, but GM did a great job with this new Escalade since it's beautiful on the inside and it's packed with a lot of amenties / features.

Lord Cadillac
02-05-07, 03:57 AM
I'd like to add my two-cents here.. I'm a Lexus lover. :) But second to Cadillac.. The Lexus is going to be the more "sound" vehicle. It'll break down less and the build quality will be higher. But, that's not saying the Escalade will break down a lot OR that it has bad build quality. It's just hard to beat a Lexus.

On that note, the Lexus LX is a MID-size SUV. The Escalade is a FULL size SUV. All the salespeople in the Lexus dealership will call it "The BIG Lexus" - meanwhile, it's about the same size as the GX - and it IS classified as a Mid-size..

For the price you're paying for the LX, you're missing out on a lot of features. Too many. If you think the Escalade is missing features like Bluetooth and Automatic-Up windows - the Lexus is missing far-more goodies. I don't know WHERE they get the nerve to have that truck top out at $80k.

The Lexus is very slow. The Escalade is an Excellent performer - quicker than most of the cars on the road. Yes, the Escalade is more fun to drive. The Escalade is also a LOT nicer looking on the outside. The interior? Well, that goes to Lexus. But Cadillac is a very close second.

I've test-driven both. The Lexus LX is great for soccer moms.. Otherwise, buy the Escalade...

hcvone
02-05-07, 08:49 AM
I have had or have 3 07' Escalade's, it was suppose to be two but the second one blew the engine at 897 miles, which Caddy replaced, and I also found out how good their service was. I have Benz's, BMW's, Jag's a Range Rover to name a few, and the Caddy service was far better than any other service I have received. I have zero problems with my Escalade's, one built in April and one in Dec, and the newest one you can really see all the little improvements to make it even better.

EscaladeguyCA
02-05-07, 11:23 AM
I really appreciate all your good feedback. This vehicle will primarily be for my wife who currently has the GX470, however even my wife who loves the Lexus wants to try something different too and loves the look of the new Escalade. Plus I will be driving it often on family trips, so I want something more sportier.

You also bring up a good point that the LX may not be a full size SUV, just larger than the GX slightly overall. I saw that it was slightly larger in the 2nd row bench than the GX, but not by much. The Escalade at least had 2 full seats with 2 sets of latches and another good size seat for using the seatbelt. My toddler will eventually be transitioning to a thinner booster seat, so at least I can then fit 2 convertible car seats for the twins all in the 2nd row bench while still using the cargo area in the back for all the baby gear. Man - this is what happens when you get old!

cadymon
02-05-07, 11:37 AM
also go check out MASSEY Cadillac in Downey:thumbsup:

EscaladeguyCA
02-05-07, 11:39 AM
also go check out MASSEY Cadillac in Downey:thumbsup:

Hey Cadymon - thanks again. I am fairly new to the area and in Newport. Is Downey far away?

EscaladeguyCA
02-05-07, 11:41 AM
By the way should I also consider a GMC YUKON DENALI? The latest incentive that is out now is the 1,750 cash back + $500 bonus cash for a total savings of $2,250 which is decent. You can get a fully loaded YUKON Denali for a little under $50K now with these incentives.

I know I am in a Cadillac forum, however do you think it's worth even thinking about Yukon Denali?

hcvone
02-05-07, 12:06 PM
Yukon Denali is a nice truck, you just get a little nicer with the Escalade

Mikebhc
02-05-07, 12:46 PM
One thing I hated about my '07 Escalade WAS the cheap tires GM put on $62000.00 vehicle. If I had known how bad the ride was going to be, I wouldn't have bought the truck. PS had them replaced by Michelin Pilots.

EscaladeguyCA
02-05-07, 12:48 PM
One thing I hated about my '07 Escalade WAS the cheap tires GM put on $62000.00 vehicle. If I had known how bad the ride was going to be, I wouldn't have bought the truck. PS had them replaced by Michelin Pilots.

Very interesting. I did not even notice what tires were on the 22's. I imagined they were the High Performance Sport Tires already. It's going to just more added expense to replace tires for a 22" rim. Maybe the 22" rims comes with better tires and you are talking about the standard 18" rims?

Thanks again for your feedback. Michelin Pilots are top notch and you are right, why would the mfg skimp on the tires when you are paying this much money for a vehicle.

LLT
02-05-07, 01:00 PM
It depends on how much more refinement you are looking for. The Yukon is more plastic inside (though tastefully done!) Only you can answer whether the few added bells and whistles like cooled seats, larger nav screen, etc. are worth it to you. I obviously opted for the Escalade, but after having driven both (Had a Yukon for a few weeks while my ESV was in for repairs) - I wouldn't hesitate to get the Yukon. I don't think I'm a typical Escalade buyer though. I purchased it for comfort and luxury, not because it's an Escalade. I've been a little disappointed in both aspects, but styling and interior refinement are far above par.

By the way, in regards to the full-size vs mid-size, I'd encourage you to actually test out the interior for yourself. I'm a big guy at 6ft4, ~275-300lbs and I find the Escalade to be tight sometimes. With my seat all the way back, the second row is fairly tight for adult passengers as well. Not uncomfortable, mind you, but nowhere near as roomy as my 2002 Expedition, for example. In contrast, I *felt* the LX was roomier. I don't know if it actually was, but I thought so. It's not always the size of the vehicle, it's how the space is used. I'll resist the urge for a size matters joke. :)

EscaladeguyCA
02-05-07, 01:26 PM
It depends on how much more refinement you are looking for. The Yukon is more plastic inside (though tastefully done!) Only you can answer whether the few added bells and whistles like cooled seats, larger nav screen, etc. are worth it to you. I obviously opted for the Escalade, but after having driven both (Had a Yukon for a few weeks while my ESV was in for repairs) - I wouldn't hesitate to get the Yukon. I don't think I'm a typical Escalade buyer though. I purchased it for comfort and luxury, not because it's an Escalade. I've been a little disappointed in both aspects, but styling and interior refinement are far above par.

By the way, in regards to the full-size vs mid-size, I'd encourage you to actually test out the interior for yourself. I'm a big guy at 6ft4, ~275-300lbs and I find the Escalade to be tight sometimes. With my seat all the way back, the second row is fairly tight for adult passengers as well. Not uncomfortable, mind you, but nowhere near as roomy as my 2002 Expedition, for example. In contrast, I *felt* the LX was roomier. I don't know if it actually was, but I thought so. It's not always the size of the vehicle, it's how the space is used. I'll resist the urge for a size matters joke. :)

I'd have to agree with you, the Denali interior is not as luxurious as the Escalade, but it's a good effort above the standard SLT Yukon. Although they are part of the same family and somewhat similar, I still favor the looks of the Escalade over a Denali.

I'm just an averaged height guy at 5'10", so both the Escalade and LX have plenty of room for me, however maybe the LX is taller and therefore you feel is more roomier? The Escalade definitely is not overly huge and gives you a more tight cockpit car-like interior feel which I like. Due to the LX's tall height it also may seem it has more room overall too.

Geez maybe I should just bring all 3 of my kid's car seats to the dealer and install of them to compare and make sure they all fit.

LLT
02-05-07, 01:33 PM
That's true, my head does hit the roof on the Escalade if I don't slouch a bit. I was fine in the LX. :)

Three car seats? I feel for ya! I only have one... but I'd advise against the cashmere interior in either case - the clearance is a bit tight in the second row so her little feet are constantly touching the passenger seat leaving marks. I'm out there with leather cleaner/conditioner after each trip. :D I re-thought the colors on the replacement unit from GM (mine is being repurchased) and went with Blue Chip / Ebony interior.

In some respects, I like the Denali better than the Escalade. I like the grill and taillights a lot. I wish the Denali and the Escalade offered the Active Fuel Management like the standard Yukon does, but I guess at that level, most people don't care.

Good luck!

EscaladeguyCA
02-05-07, 02:01 PM
That's true, my head does hit the roof on the Escalade if I don't slouch a bit. I was fine in the LX. :)

Three car seats? I feel for ya! I only have one... but I'd advise against the cashmere interior in either case - the clearance is a bit tight in the second row so her little feet are constantly touching the passenger seat leaving marks. I'm out there with leather cleaner/conditioner after each trip. :D I re-thought the colors on the replacement unit from GM (mine is being repurchased) and went with Blue Chip / Ebony interior.

In some respects, I like the Denali better than the Escalade. I like the grill and taillights a lot. I wish the Denali and the Escalade offered the Active Fuel Management like the standard Yukon does, but I guess at that level, most people don't care.

Good luck!

Thanks for the kids scuffing up the leather tip. You should see my current Lexus GX470 with the Tan Leather Interior and all my 3 year old's sneaker scuff marks! The seats now look like works of art!

By the way why is your vehicle being repurchased?

I still like the Denali, but maybe I am being too snobbish in assuming that I will not get the level of service a luxury devision will give you (used to Lexus now, expect the same from Caddy) if I got to my local GMC dealer.

Falkolade
02-05-07, 02:11 PM
the warranty alone sells me on the caddy... i could not imagine owning an american vehicle without a warranty... why have a denali, when the "gm gods" made an escalade???

EscaladeguyCA
02-05-07, 02:26 PM
the warranty alone sells me on the caddy... i could not imagine owning an american vehicle without a warranty... why have a denali, when the "gm gods" made an escalade???

Good point. The longer Caddy warranty should also be worth it. I should listen to the GM GODS and bless myself with an Escalade.

LLT
02-05-07, 02:27 PM
I had a host of electrical issues ranging from intermittent navigation failure to complete hvac failure (no heat, or heat on driver's side but not passenger's.) They had to "fabricate" a new harness for the hvac system and it still doesn't work right (60 is ice cold, 61 is blazing hot), the window fell out on day 2, wind noise galore, squealing at startup (there's now a TSB for this) the transmission module failed and a couple other things like the gearshift selector's "D" and "M" modes were the same and "R" and "N" were both reverse. Most have been resolved, but it's toasted the value - there's now 5 car fax entries and two pages of service history within a few months of ownership.

I will say, one call to General Motors is all it took (granted, I have a few connections there, but I didn't really use them) and they stood behind it. They apologized profusely and took it back without hesitation. My replacement unit is due to be built next week.

That's why I said avoid early builds. I don't think there's been anything major (apart from poor Carl's engine literally exploding), but there are A LOT of little annoyances fixed in later builds that will result in a few trips to the dealer for weatherstripping, foam, software updates (more than you'd think), perhaps even a new radio (there were problems with earlier Nav units.) If it wasn't built in the last few months, I'd order one from the factory or have them find you one with a decent lot age at another dealer. GM offered me another ESV out of dealer inventory... I opted to have one factory ordered. There's just way too many first-year bugs with this thing.

As for service, as I said, I've been very pleased with Cadillac's service. The dealer on the other hand is a different story. These new Escalades are a technological wonder underneath and my dealer at least will admit to being overwhelmed. I think Buick/GMC have comparable service, honestly. I'd stay away from Chevrolet, personally. That was part of the problem in my case - the dealer is a Chevy dealer as well as Cadillac. When you're pushing Aveos and low-end Chevy's (no disrespect intended) at least 20 to 1 to Cadillacs, the service on the Cadillac side will suffer, in my experience. I'd rather have a dealer who pushes higher-end inventory and thus has a higher-end focus on customer service.

EscaladeguyCA
02-05-07, 02:32 PM
Holy Crap LLT! After all of that you still stuck with a Caddy. That is loyalty and being optimistic.

I just hope these are the very few exceptions since member forums always bring out the worst problems to the forefront, whereas I hope & assume there are still plenty of other Escalade owners that don't have any problems and are completely satisifed with their vehicles but just don't post.

Thanks again for your great insight and advice.

LLT
02-05-07, 02:38 PM
You're quite welcome. For what's worth, I think mine (and Carl's for that matter) was just a fluke. He's very happy with his replacement it seems and I'm sure I'll be happy with mine. I'd swear my current one just fell off the transport truck is all. :D

You're right - you'll generally find more negative on forums, which presents a weighted, unfair picture.

hcvone
02-05-07, 02:43 PM

What tires and size did your truck come with?

ecs177
02-05-07, 04:04 PM
Holy Crap LLT! After all of that you still stuck with a Caddy. That is loyalty and being optimistic.

I just hope these are the very few exceptions since member forums always bring out the worst problems to the forefront, whereas I hope & assume there are still plenty of other Escalade owners that don't have any problems and are completely satisifed with their vehicles but just don't post.

yea myself and my wife have had some trouble with ours also.. we (i guess) had one of the early releases - 12th on the waiting list in northern CT about a year ago... its at service right now getting an entire new heating console - at first we were told it was just a software update causing the console to not work in very cold temperatures - turns out that we need an entire new console... also, we have had the entire navigation system - screen, radio, cd changer, etc. replaced because the map disc was not running correct - kept getting scratches on it that were apparently being cause by the dvd player.....

anyway even with all that - we absolutely love our baby and do not regret our purchase at all... in fact, we have a terrific lexus es300 - lexus is a great brand but owning a cadillac is not even in the same league.... its like a special club and i would guess that us cadillac owners have a lot more in common with each other than those who own the rx330, x5, range rover, etc... in my opinion those other suv's look kind of feminine... i would not want to drive one of those myself cause they don't look nearly as tough. not that they are not quality.... just a little bit queer if you ask me....

when you buy a cadillac you are joining an exclusive club.

by the way, the service dpt. has been great... we could have gone to a GMC dealer down the street but decided to go to the cadillac only dealer and they have been terrific...

don't forget about the 403hp by the way... you can smoke all those trendy soccer moms in their lexus and bmw x5's all day every day...

Lord Cadillac
02-05-07, 04:28 PM
Cadillac service will be better than GMC service. Your time spent at the service center will also be nicer. The Denali is VERY nice. I like it. But since you only live once, go for the Escalade... You'll be glad you did...

alpinewhite325i
02-05-07, 04:40 PM

Good luck!
FYI...that's not leather on the back of the seats, so there is no need to waste your leather cleaner / conditioner on it. I just use some good old Windex on the vinyl seat backs to clean up scuffs!

alpinewhite325i
02-05-07, 04:49 PM

I only have 2,000 miles on mine, but so far so good. Besides the mis-aligned body panels, the truck has been flawless. Today was a good test...-02 deg F and the truck fired right up with NO squeaks or rattles. We'll see how it is after 50K!
We purchased the Escalade over the Denali for several reasons:
1. Aesthetically much more pleasing..inside and out. The quality of the plastics used inside the Cadillac are MUCH better than the Denali.
2. Larger NAV screen
3. Longer warranty
4. White Diamond Paint
5. Dealer gives free loaner cars
6. The engine...OMFG the engine!! I know the car mags have tested both and the Escalade is barely quicker than the Denali. However, the tangible feel and exhaust note of the Caddilacs 403 hp is far superior.

LLT
02-05-07, 05:47 PM
Cadillac service will be better than GMC service. Your time spent at the service center will also be nicer. The Denali is VERY nice. I like it. But since you only live once, go for the Escalade... You'll be glad you did...

True - you only live once!

FYI...that's not leather on the back of the seats, so there is no need to waste your leather cleaner / conditioner on it. I just use some good old Windex on the vinyl seat backs to clean up scuffs!

Yeah, I don't use the good stuff - just the GM spray leather/vinyl cleaner (I have a case of it) - I reserve the good stuff for the actual leather surfaces.

Nice tip on the Windex though - thanks! :)

hdman1216
02-06-07, 04:57 AM
Save yourself a lot of aggravation and buy an Infiniti QX56. Wish I had mine back. Nothing but rattles and clanks with my month old 07 AWD Escalade.
Goind back to the dealer today.

Don
:nuffsaid: :wtf:

Lord Cadillac
02-06-07, 04:23 PM
Does anyone else have a lot of rattles and clanks with their 07 Escalade? Because this is the first time I'm hearing anyone complain...

alpinewhite325i
02-06-07, 04:30 PM
Does anyone else have a lot of rattles and clanks with their 07 Escalade? Because this is the first time I'm hearing anyone complain...
Not me...very solid.

MarkMatthews
02-07-07, 12:02 AM
nothing drives like a lexus but the caddy has style points

hcvone
02-07-07, 08:37 AM

Not mine even at -19 degrees. :(

EscaladeguyCA
02-07-07, 11:31 AM
I only have 2,000 miles on mine, but so far so good. Besides the mis-aligned body panels, the truck has been flawless. Today was a good test...-02 deg F and the truck fired right up with NO squeaks or rattles. We'll see how it is after 50K!
We purchased the Escalade over the Denali for several reasons:
1. Aesthetically much more pleasing..inside and out. The quality of the plastics used inside the Cadillac are MUCH better than the Denali.
2. Larger NAV screen
3. Longer warranty
4. White Diamond Paint
5. Dealer gives free loaner cars
6. The engine...OMFG the engine!! I know the car mags have tested both and the Escalade is barely quicker than the Denali. However, the tangible feel and exhaust note of the Caddilacs 403 hp is far superior.

Alpine - Thanks for your opinions. I agree with you on your points and it definitely helps reinforce my desire to buy the Escalade over the Denali.

EscaladeguyCA
02-07-07, 11:33 AM
nothing drives like a lexus but the caddy has style points

The Caddy looks so much better and sportier than the Lexus LX. The Lexus LX is nice smooth ride, however for us guys we are looking for something more sportier and powerful, a vehicle that is more MANLY!

EscaladeguyCA
02-07-07, 11:38 AM

Lord I agree with you only live once remark and I believe if I did get the Denali, I would be happy however always regret not getting the Caddy whenever I see one on the road. I still want to believe that GMC and Caddy service is totally different, but it may not be so different (maybe just free loaner cars) when the dealership supplies both Cadillac & GMC vehicles.

EscaladeguyCA
02-07-07, 11:48 AM
yea myself and my wife have had some trouble with ours also.. we (i guess) had one of the early releases - 12th on the waiting list in northern CT about a year ago... its at service right now getting an entire new heating console - at first we were told it was just a software update causing the console to not work in very cold temperatures - turns out that we need an entire new console... also, we have had the entire navigation system - screen, radio, cd changer, etc. replaced because the map disc was not running correct - kept getting scratches on it that were apparently being cause by the dvd player.....

ECS - Thanks for the vote of confidence and you still stuck it through it all. I believe it is often the case with first year models to get the kinks worked out. However I just hope as I have been told on here that the later build models even in this first year have been fixed and udpated too.

LLT
02-07-07, 02:50 PM
GMC, Cadillac, Ford or Kia - it doesn't matter. If the dealer sucks, you're going to get sucky service regardless of what the sign says out front and how much you paid for your vehicle. I've had good and bad experiences in all GM branded dealerships. Just because it says Cadillac on the building does not guarantee good service. In fact, an interesting fact is, many multi-branded dealers (eg. XYZ Chevrolet Cadillac) only sell Cadillac because it was worked out as a token franchise offer to previous Oldsmobile dealers when Olds was discontinued. I'm not saying that in itself is a bad thing, of course, but many still don't adhere to what are considered Cadillac standards.

As for loaners - GMC does in fact offer courtesy rentals - similar to Cadillac.

Courtesy Rental Vehicle

Your dealer may arrange to provide you with a courtesy rental vehicle or reimburse you for a rental vehicle that you obtain if your vehicle is kept for an overnight warranty repair. Rental reimbursement will be limited and must be supported by original receipts. This requires that you sign and complete a rental agreement and meet state/provincial, local, and rental vehicle provider requirements. Requirements vary and may include minimum age requirements, insurance coverage, credit card, etc. You are responsible for fuel usage charges and may also be responsible for taxes, levies, usage fees, excessive mileage, or rental usage beyond the completion of the repair.

Generally it is not possible to provide a like-vehicle as a courtesy rental.

Not trying to talk you in or out of anything, of course - I just believe people should have all the facts to make an informed decision. :)

alpinewhite325i
02-07-07, 04:32 PM
As for loaners - GMC does in fact offer courtesy rentals - similar to Cadillac.

I'd check w / your local GMC dealer. I know the one closest to me does not offer free loaners for routine service / maintenance. If you had a problem that may keep your GMC off the road for several days, then the dealer I'm referring to may supply an Enterprise HHR, Cobalt, etc. However, with enough advance notice, my local Caddy dealer will loan you one of their Cadillac fleet cars.

Lord Cadillac
02-07-07, 05:27 PM
Lord I agree with you only live once remark and I believe if I did get the Denali, I would be happy however always regret not getting the Caddy whenever I see one on the road. I still want to believe that GMC and Caddy service is totally different, but it may not be so different (maybe just free loaner cars) when the dealership supplies both Cadillac & GMC vehicles.
Around my area, the Cadillac dealerships are much nicer than the GMC dealerships.. Big difference.. I don't think the only difference will be a loaner car unless you have a very small Cadillac dealership...

LLT
02-07-07, 06:17 PM
I'd check w / your local GMC dealer. I know the one closest to me does not offer free loaners for routine service / maintenance. If you had a problem that may keep your GMC off the road for several days, then the dealer I'm referring to may supply an Enterprise HHR, Cobalt, etc. However, with enough advance notice, my local Caddy dealer will loan you one of their Cadillac fleet cars.

I think we're confusing eachother with the term "loaners" :) Not many (Caddy included) have their own loaners. Most use Enterprise or similar. Larger/high volume markets are of course different, but they really have to get a good return from GM to offer it as there are significant costs, including insurance. Standard dealer fleet insurance does not cover use of loaners and in most states the vehicles have to be properly titled in the dealer's name and registered (eg. can't slap a dealer tag on it.) It's not worth it to most, again, unless they have a high service volume to justify it. As for getting a Cobalt / HHR when you have a $50k Denali in for service... again, that's dealer and market dependent. That's not standard - I've seen customers take Malibus from Enterprise when having their Devilles serviced because that's all that was available at that particular time and they didn't want to reschedule.

Sal, I hear ya - but "nicer" is subjective. Are you referring to nicer in appearance? I've been to dozens upon dozens of dealerships with area reps and as a consultant and I can assure you appearance and presentation is not everything. I went in to a brand-exclusive upscale Cadillac dealer once that had a wi-fi hotspot, a cafe, shoe shining (seriously) and a massage therapist two days per week -- a beautiful establishment and very clean. They spent all of their money on the fluff and skimped on the techs. They had the one of the highest number of CARs (Customer Assistance Request) complaints in the region (per capita.) No, I won't provide the name or location. ;) Conversely, I've been to hole in the wall, "good ole boy" dealerships in the hills that have had some of the most skilled techs in the industry and the happiest customers. Don't judge a book by a cover holds true more than ever - you can get good or bad with any brand, any dealership.

I'd personally advise visiting the dealership and asking to meet the service advisers and get a little tour. To me, a service department is like a doctor's office. I want to meet the people that will be caring for my vehicle, as silly as that may sound. Contrary to popular belief and although GM policy dictates all warranty repairs are created equal, it is important to get the dealer right the first time if at all possible (though not the end of the world if you don't!) as you do have a home court advantage of sticking with the delivering dealer. See how you like them, ask questions and try to talk to other customers if possible.

Obviously you're going to get a pro-Escalade opinion (and a pro-Yukon opinion on the GMC forums and a pro-Expedition opinion on the Ford forums, etc.) here and I wouldn't argue for a second that it's an awesome vehicle with the bling factor, styling, comfort, performance and of course the nameplate. I think you'd be happy with it... I'm just saying don't let the dealership alone slant your decision unless you visit it/them. You should do that regardless, otherwise you're setting yourself up for potential disappointment that could have been avoided. :)

EscaladeguyCA
02-09-07, 01:09 PM
LLT - I just talked to one of the potential Cadillac dealers I am working with for my purchase and they don't offer loaners for routine maintenance like Oil Changes, 30K service etc.., they do offer loaners for any warranty work that has to be done. I was kind of surprised by this since Lexus would give you loaners for any type of service that you had to wait for. Maybe like you said, the loaner car system is different at different dealerships.

I also found that this dealership services Cadillac, GMC, Buick & Pontiac all in the same service area (They do not separate), so it could be a disadvantage. I will have to check this out more closely.

hcvone
02-09-07, 01:40 PM
Most dealerships offer 30 minute oil changes, so that helps to get you in and out.

07slade
02-09-07, 07:55 PM
I have An Escalade, And I'm about to buy another one because I am so happy with it, it is Great accept for the third row is akward, notice I didn't say tight, just your knees touch your face basically, don't waste the cash on the power flip/fold 2nd row, its uselss JMO. The Stock Tires, I Have the 22''s wheels because I thought the 18''s just looked too small on such a huge SUV and the ride is GREAT!!. The lexus LX is garbage in my opinion, it hasn't been updated in what seems like forever and I think an update is due for next year, toyota is insane with thier pricing on that blob, If you want true 7 passenger room get the GL-450, I sat in the 3rd row along with my 6 foot tall husband and it felt as big or bigger than the escalades second row. In the Snow With the 22''s the escalade does O.K, just be careful, last night my husband went out with some friends to dinner, and there was about 1foot of snow on the ground and 5 inches unplowed on the road, so to get to this resturant we had to drive up a dirt road covered in about 8 inches of snow I turned in from the road at about 20mph careful not to get tail happy, then I put my foot flat to the floor because I need momentum, the 22's clawed into the snow and we got about half way up and then just lost traction and started sliding backwards, so I pulled off to the side and turned off the car and we had to walk about 200ft through the snow to get to our dinner location, my husband is in the garage bolting the 18''s on now sorry to ramble

EscaladeguyCA
02-10-07, 11:24 AM
I have An Escalade, And I'm about to buy another one because I am so happy with it, it is Great accept for the third row is akward, notice I didn't say tight, just your knees touch your face basically, don't waste the cash on the power flip/fold 2nd row, its uselss JMO. The Stock Tires, I Have the 22''s wheels because I thought the 18''s just looked too small on such a huge SUV and the ride is GREAT!!. The lexus LX is garbage in my opinion, it hasn't been updated in what seems like forever and I think an update is due for next year, toyota is insane with thier pricing on that blob, If you want true 7 passenger room get the GL-450, I sat in the 3rd row along with my 6 foot tall husband and it felt as big or bigger than the escalades second row.

07salde - thanks for the good input. You are thinking along the same lines as me about the LX. It's long overdue for a revamp and the price is way overpriced too expecially if you compare it to it's competitors spec for spec. I still believe the Escalade will fit all of my family needs. I will not need the 3rd row for sometime, since I require the 2nd row bench to fit all 3 kids seats in a row and need the rear cargo open for all the rest of the baby gear. I'll use the 3rd row in the future when the kids get older.

22's are the way to go. Beautiful.

As for snow I recently moved from NJ to CA and had to deal with All Season / Snow tires, AWD, etc so now in CA with no snow and sunny skies I will not miss the snow anymore.

Thanks again.

EscaladeguyCA
02-11-07, 08:04 PM
There are not many OEM accessories for a loaded 07 Escalade, so did any of you current owners get this Grill Insert? Is it needed and how much does it cost? Does it just make the front darker and better looking? If so I should see if the dealer can throw this in for me.

LINK:

http://www.cadillac.com/cadillacjsp/model/accessory.jsp?model=escalade&year=2007

LLT
02-11-07, 11:17 PM
The grille insert is $275 MSRP. I really like the stock grille myself - heck, I like everything stock about the 07, but many like to personalize to make it their own.

The only thing I have at the moment is an iPod kit and the molded splash guards. I'm still not sold on the look of the guards, but they sure make a big functional difference. The 22" wheels stick out further than the body of the vehicle, so they throw debris and dirt at the body in a sand-blasting like fashion.

I'm not sure if GM Geek is still selling the iPod kits, but I'd highly recommend that if he is. The quality of the XM except on a few select channels quite frankly, sucks. I made the mistake of basing my opinion of the Bose system off of listening to XM. Once I popped a CD in it more or less came to life. The iPod sounds equally great. The XM is a waste, I can't cope with their poorly compressed garbage, so I'm not renewing (maybe I'll swap out to Sirius someday.) You'll get a trial to decide for yourself.

By the way: http://www.gmgoodwrench.com/accessoriesjsp/accessorylist.jsp?make=cadillac&model=escalade&year=2007

EscaladeguyCA
02-12-07, 01:50 AM
The grille insert is $275 MSRP. I really like the stock grille myself - heck, I like everything stock about the 07, but many like to personalize to make it their own.

The only thing I have at the moment is an iPod kit and the molded splash guards. I'm still not sold on the look of the guards, but they sure make a big functional difference. The 22" wheels stick out further than the body of the vehicle, so they throw debris and dirt at the body in a sand-blasting like fashion.

I'm not sure if GM Geek is still selling the iPod kits, but I'd highly recommend that if he is. The quality of the XM except on a few select channels quite frankly, sucks. I made the mistake of basing my opinion of the Bose system off of listening to XM. Once I popped a CD in it more or less came to life. The iPod sounds equally great. The XM is a waste, I can't cope with their poorly compressed garbage, so I'm not renewing (maybe I'll swap out to Sirius someday.) You'll get a trial to decide for yourself.

By the way: http://www.gmgoodwrench.com/accessoriesjsp/accessorylist.jsp?make=cadillac&model=escalade&year=2007

I didn't even think about the Moulded Splash Guards and I think they will not only look good but be functional too.

After reviewing the above link, I'm hoping the 22's at least come with the wheel locks standard.

I'd probably go with the Grill, just need to get a better photo of it.

Also do I need a Chrome Exhaust Tip?

Thanks again.

cadymon
02-12-07, 01:57 AM
^^^^ Just get the car first and than we'll be here to help you out to dress her up.:thumbsup:

LLT
02-12-07, 02:13 AM
The tip you're seeing on GM accessories will only fit the performance exhaust, not stock - though I'm sure there are some aftermarket tips available.

No wheel locks, I'm afraid.

As for grille:

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/1569/07caes00154oo1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

hcvone
02-12-07, 06:12 AM
I have that grill sitting in my office in white, it would be great for anyone want to get rid of the chrome on their white 07', or just wanting a different look. $200.00 shipped

EscaladeguyCA
02-13-07, 02:25 AM
The tip you're seeing on GM accessories will only fit the performance exhaust, not stock - though I'm sure there are some aftermarket tips available.

No wheel locks, I'm afraid.

As for grille:

http://img201.imageshack.us/img201/1569/07caes00154oo1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Hey for some reason the Grille photo is not showing up, I get the red x

hcvone
02-13-07, 06:53 AM
I am seeing the pix, can you see it now?

Krug Ford
02-13-07, 07:36 AM
I can order you a cadillac and have it shipped to you quickly... I have to make sure it has California Emissions when it is in Californina.

EscaladeguyCA
02-13-07, 11:47 AM
I am seeing the pix, can you see it now?

I can see it now and it's beautiful. Thanks again for the enlarged photo!

EscaladeguyCA
02-16-07, 07:20 PM
I can order you a cadillac and have it shipped to you quickly... I have to make sure it has California Emissions when it is in Californina.

Thanks for your offer and PM, sorry I am not able to PM yet since I don't have enough posts on this forum. So you will have to PM me your email address. Thanks.

Krug Ford
02-20-07, 08:20 PM
you can email me at spratt@superiorcadillacgmc.com

Hope to earn your business.

EscaladeguyCA
03-09-07, 05:02 AM
Hey for some reason the Grille photo is not showing up, I get the red x

I asked my dealer about this Grille Insert Accessory and they initially were not aware of it and said they didn't do any installs on this, so maybe it's not popular among Escalade Owners?

The only difference I see is maybe it color matches the grill to your exterior body color? So if I had a black escalade, the front grille insert would make the front more black instead of showing more of the standard chrome grille?

Anyone have this accessory installed and can shed some light on if it's worth it or not (around $550 installed).

hcvone
03-09-07, 06:19 AM
I have the grill but am not intalling it, I was going to take all the chome off but scrapped that idea, the chrome blends in enough on the white so I am leaving it alone. The only difference between the stock grill and the factory aftermarket is that the aftermarket does not have the 16 chrome inserts around the openings. $550 seems high, the grill is around 275 and it should take about an hour to install, maybe 1 1/2 hours. Mine is d white in color and it comes with the emblem. :)

EscaladeguyCA
03-09-07, 11:28 AM
I have the grill but am not intalling it, I was going to take all the chome off but scrapped that idea, the chrome blends in enough on the white so I am leaving it alone. The only difference between the stock grill and the factory aftermarket is that the aftermarket does not have the 16 chrome inserts around the openings. $550 seems high, the grill is around 275 and it should take about an hour to install, maybe 1 1/2 hours. Mine is d white in color and it comes with the emblem. :)

Thanks for the advice. At the time I was making the deal, I was looking to see if the dealer could throw in any accessories, but there are not much available for a fully loaded Escalade. I like the stock front grille, so will keep it for now and maybe later will feel the need black it out (since I have the black exterior color) in the future when I want my own refresh. It just seems that not many Escalade owners get this Factory accessory and if they do want a new grille they go for a totally different one aftermarket.

hcvone
03-09-07, 11:51 AM
Not many people know about the options that are offered afteramrket via the factory, you would figure they know who purchased what type of car or truck and they would send them that info, but I guess that makes too much sense.

EscaladeguyCA
03-10-07, 04:58 AM
Not many people know about the options that are offered afteramrket vai the factory, you would figure they know who purchased what type of car or truck and they would send them that info, but I guess that makes too much sense.

The Cadillac Website only lists a handful of accessories, but LLT Member hooked me up with the link to ALL the available accessories earlier in this thread. The link to a complete listing of factory accessories is as follows:

http://www.gmgoodwrench.com/accessoriesjsp/accessorylist.jsp?make=cadillac&model=escalade&year=2007