: Utility of the bar in the spare tire tub

doc-V
02-04-07, 08:56 AM
Hello all,
What is the utility of the bar in the spare tire tub?
Does it provide added crumple support in a rear end collision and therefore should the tub NOT be removed?
Thanks

CVP33
02-04-07, 09:42 AM
The rear brace actually stabilizes the vehicle under high torque loads. Remove this brace at your own peril. You can also ask Urby about this. :thumbsup:

rand49er
02-04-07, 10:33 AM
Hey, doc, don't pay any attention to that other post ... he doesn't even OWN a V. ;)

doc-V
02-04-07, 10:43 AM
hmmm
the bar is molded into the spare tire tub and runs from the front to back of the car...
so the torque load is from front to rear?
thanks

rand49er
02-04-07, 10:52 AM
In all seriousness, a lot of us have removed the tub and put in an honest-to-goodness spare tire "kit" complete with jack, etc. when we went from runflats to non-runflats. Lord only knows what that bar is for, though I'm sure it must have SOME intended function.

BTW, mine is in my garage loft above my V. :)

doc-V
02-04-07, 11:32 AM
yeh i removed the tub to install an amplifier for my sub
but that brace seems pretty serious
and i just dont want to compromise the car
so i was wondering what the true function of the bar is
i guess i could always put the amp in the tub

Pegasus04
02-04-07, 01:33 PM
I thought the center bar was there to support a Keg of beer when a spare tire wasn't there. :yup:

CVP33
02-04-07, 01:37 PM
Search is your friend, but the FAQ's site is even more friendly. :sneaky:

http://www.cadillacfaq.com/faq/answers/spare/index.html

keeksv
02-04-07, 02:02 PM
I'm pretty sure it's there to simulate a spare tire with rim in the event of a rear end collision. I would either leave it in there, or get a spare as others have suggested. Put your amp in there without the bar and you could have the amp relocated to your own personal spare tire well if you get hit from behind:eek:

ctsvett
02-04-07, 02:44 PM
From what I know, keeks is right...

Its there since there is no spare to support the car from a rear end collision. If you replace it with a spare, there should be no issues..

If you just take it out, try not to get hit from the rear...

Hee hee.. I just said "hit from the rear"

Reed

BadCad
02-04-07, 03:08 PM
Bar is there to support the cover so it doesn't collapse when you place heavier items in the trunk. It does not provide structural support in case of any crash, rear, side or front. It's made out of plastic...

zozmanCTS-V
02-04-07, 04:05 PM
Bar is there to support the cover so it doesn't collapse when you place heavier items in the trunk. It does not provide structural support in case of any crash, rear, side or front. It's made out of plastic...

Ding! The correct answer.

keeksv
02-04-07, 05:17 PM
Ding! The correct answer.
The bar in my tub is steel, and quite heavy...

keeksv
02-04-07, 08:20 PM

Take the tub out of the car and look at the underside, under the plastic--you'll see a very structural piece of steel there that runs from front to back, including the two rounded ends that are visible from the top.

svassh
02-04-07, 09:40 PM
Its there to support the flimsy cardboard piece that sits on top of it from collapsing if too much weight is put on top of it.