: What is that noise?

weister42
02-03-07, 10:53 PM
It's really cold out today and I fired up my car and I can hear this ticking noise...here's a video of it:

http://i82.photobucket.com/albums/j255/weister42/Videos/th_MVI_0834.jpg (http://s82.photobucket.com/albums/j255/weister42/Videos/?action=view&current=MVI_0834.flv)

It was about -15 out(-35~-45 with windchill) when this video was shot and the car's coolant was at 107 degrees. I revved the engine a few times. It doesn't do this when the engine is warmed up so should I just not worry about it?

codewize
02-03-07, 11:43 PM
Sounds like water pump bearings but the water pump isn't on that side.

mikeay
02-04-07, 09:23 AM
Mine made that sound before, it was the drive belt tensioner. Use a stethoscope or a long screw driver to check it.

mtflight
02-04-07, 12:48 PM
Mine started doing that on cold days, very similar sound, but more rhythmic. It started after the dealership replaced my alternator.

Last weekend I found a coolant leak on the surge tank. I replaced the surge tank.

I called the dealership early in the week about the noise, and they said it may be a dry accessory belt as "perhaps" I have a coolant leak onto the belt.

Hmmmmm.... funny how they checked it all over and found a few things wrong, but not that. Then they suggest that's the problem. I wonder if they deliberately leave these coolant leaks so they can be guaranteed a big job (when they either replace your engine, or sell you a car). Maybe I'm just paranoid.

weister42
02-04-07, 03:01 PM
Well the thing is whenever the clicking noise sounds my engine rpm drops a bit, so is something binding it or something? I'll look into it tomorrow when I get my oil changed.

mtflight
02-04-07, 08:05 PM
If that's the case then look for the AC compressor, Steering Pump, Generator... one of the bearings may be going out, but who knows.

Get a mechanic's stethoscope, $7. Listen to these with care not to get caught on the moving parts/belt.

You can take the metal part off and then just use the hose as a microphone.

99Classillac
02-09-07, 07:11 AM
Does the engine misfire or anything? Maybe it's an eletrical connection gone bad and sparks are jumpin and makin the sound, plus makin the rpms drop because it's pullin juice from the engine. I dunno.