: OEM stereo/nav gone - great results- PICS added

teros1
02-03-07, 11:46 PM
The stock head unit and display are out, and the Eclipse AVN-5495 is in!

I used the 99-2006 kit from www.installer.com (http://www.installer.com) and the result is OEM-clean. (Thanks, gang, for the tip.)

The sound is stunning. A revelation. I already had installed JL Audio amps & speakers, and about 80 pounds of Dynamat extreme. This sonic improvement is the same order of magnitude.

And CD's are automatically ripped to hard drive when played. See http://www.eclipse-web.com/avn/avn5495overviews.html if interested.

The nav display is also much cleaner (no funky POI's). Nav can be programmed when moving (!). Everything is hard drive-fast - no waiting for a nav DVD.

Some personalization, displays, and OnStar are lost, but nothing vital. Stab and trac control works fine. My biggest worry in this regard is the loss of the FUEL LOW warning...that one can bite!

I'll try to post pix soon....

Anyone want to buy a Cleansweep? :o

Bob

svassh
02-03-07, 11:49 PM
Lets see some pictures and prices.

BowenCT
02-04-07, 09:31 AM
^^^^^^ Yeah, absolutely!

austin
02-04-07, 10:49 AM
:postpics:

Poopie D
02-04-07, 12:09 PM
My biggest worry in this regard is the loss of the FUEL LOW warning...that one can bite!

Low fuel warning??!!! Ha Ha...you mean, you are gonna run out of gas in about 30 seconds warning!!!!

slk230mb
02-04-07, 12:32 PM
Can you still go into Competition Mode?

teros1
02-04-07, 06:37 PM
The price was $2600 installed, including JLA cables and rear-view camera.

Yes, you can use TC OFF and COMP MODE as normal (without the annoying CRT alerts).

Pix are attached...please note that woofer enclosure is in spare tire bin and one of the views shows a backup camera scene.

This is an excellent mod, esp if you spend a lot of time in your V.

Enjoy,

Bob

ssmith100
02-04-07, 08:14 PM
How do you turn comp mode on without the display????? It shouldn't be possible. I would love to do this mod but I don't want not to be able to turn "Comp" mode on. Please advise.

Shane

ZEUSROTTY
02-04-07, 11:58 PM
thats cool, but id rather not loose on star... i hate having buttons that dont work...

ctsvett
02-05-07, 12:13 AM
Nice install... If the V was an option without the Nav, I would have done almost exatly what you did...

How are you sure that comp mode actually came on?

Reed

GMBOUND
02-05-07, 01:32 AM
Why couldn't you get Onstar to work? I seen a Southern Comfort '07 Yukon that had a Pioneer Nav. unit and the Onstar still worked

teros1
02-05-07, 02:12 AM
How are you sure that comp mode actually came on?

Good question, Reed.

I'm not sure 100%, but the steering-wheel button cycles through NORMAL and then two TCS OFF modes (confirmed with dash indicator and throttle) and then back again.

I don't plan on testing COMP MODE anywhere but a track.

Bob

teros1
02-05-07, 02:15 AM
Why couldn't you get Onstar to work? I seen a Southern Comfort '07 Yukon that had a Pioneer Nav. unit and the Onstar still worked

Not so much "couldn't" as "didn't bother."

I'm fairly certain that it could be done but have no interest.

Bob

v-ape
02-05-07, 09:31 AM
See if you can slide it... j/k

Seriously, I dont care about comp mode, as long as all-on and all-off work. I would guess the display is just that, a display. I dont think the TC/SC brains are in the nav unit. Anyone know where the accelerometers are? If your g-force gauge works, I'm pretty sure your SC will work too.

Looks very clean. I like. I'll stick with mine until all the radio buttons flake off :)

CTS-V420
02-05-07, 11:06 AM
looks pretty good...Its just such a blank area compared to the factory look....Im sure the sound is killer...adn that is what matter for you

ssmith100
02-05-07, 11:40 AM
Teros,

That 500/5 and the crossovers for the components would mount perfectly under the decklid and give you that trunk space back. The best thing I ever did was mount mine there.

Shane

teros1
02-05-07, 12:05 PM
Teros,

That 500/5 and the crossovers for the components would mount perfectly under the decklid and give you that trunk space back.

Thanks, Shane. Excellent suggestion.

Bob

ssmith100
02-05-07, 12:30 PM
Teros,

It's very easy to do. There is a metal bar to the right of the factory sub that has to be removed but the factory tack welds will drill right out. I was going to use the 500/5 also and put it right there but at the time decided to stay with the free air sub. I've finished my new sub enclosure now and replaced the factory ten opening with a flushed round plate there now. When the new Alpine PXE-H650 comes out it will go right between the two JL amps on that plate.

Shane

dvandentop
02-05-07, 05:54 PM
very nice setup

heavymetals
02-05-07, 05:57 PM
Very nice and neat job.

svassh
02-05-07, 06:02 PM
Very nice and neat job.

:yeah:

ctsvflorida
02-05-07, 06:10 PM
Very nice and yes it is neat! I have one question though...How come when there is a picture taken and the normal DMV issued license plate is in the picture, they black it out, but when it is a custom plate (ie. MYGR8V), they can't wait to show it online? Hmmmm!

SBONES
02-06-07, 12:36 AM
can you still view movies while driving.

teros1
02-06-07, 01:03 AM
If your g-force gauge works, I'm pretty sure your SC will work too.

G-meter works fine.

Bob

teros1
02-06-07, 01:08 AM
can you still view movies while driving.

Yes, with full controls and many more features (aspect ratio control, etc.)....

Bob

SBONES
02-06-07, 10:27 AM
thats neat....now im sold..got to save 2g's.:yup: